Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor texting problem

• 05-08-2004 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hello,

Do any other meteor customers living in Lucan in particular or anywhere else have problems sending text messages? Whenever I am at home in Lucan, my texts never get sent, they always fail-but then when I reach Hueston station each morning any failed messages are all sent perfectly. I never have this problem anywhere else and I can receive messages in Lucan no problem, but cannot send them from there at all. This has been ongoing now for last 6-8 weeks and sometimes I think the meteor staff do not believe me or think I am spoofing them but I wrote then a email complaining about this earlier today so hopefully they will address it more seriously now that its in writing. Does anyone else have this problem with Meteor or O2/VF?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

i had the same problem... im livin on the navan rd. i rang them aswell and they told me my fone was broken but i knew it wasnt broken so i kept ringin and ringin and ringin and eventually they told me they were havin problems but couldnt tell me wen it would be sorted. so i kept ringin again and they fixed it in bout 2 weeks and i demanded free credit because my free msgs was up and they gave me 20 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭jonathanbuc

blah blah blah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

Orla, they gave you EURO 20-You must be a better negotiator than I am coz I only got EURO 5 when I complained for the 3rd or 4th time last week (the customer services girl sounded nice on the phone so I didn't want to bawl her out too harshly). I am ringin them right now to complain again and to see if they have they read my email.

mrblack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

well i did ring about and im not messin 50 or 60 times... i wasnt backing down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I had constant small problems like this.. They didn't fix em so I switched operator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

mrblack wrote:
    Does anyone else have this problem with Meteor or O2/VF?

had SMS problems with Vodafone out of the blue earlier this year with a RTG SIM, took a while to sort too unfortunately, from checking settings then sending out a new SIM but even after that I still had the problem, when they investigated it more and got it working again... took about 2/3 weeks in all as far as I can remember

have been SMSing fine on Meteor so far

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Doublezero8

had SMS problems with Vodafone out of the blue earlier this year with a RTG SIM, took a while to sort too unfortunately, from checking settings then sending out a new SIM but even after that I still had the problem, when they investigated it more and got it working again... took about 2/3 weeks in all as far as I can remember

have been SMSing fine on Meteor so far

BrianG

Going to play devils advocate here too ;)
    Do any other meteor customers living in Lucan in particular or anywhere else have problems sending text messages? Whenever I am at home in Lucan, my texts never get sent, they always fail-but then when I reach Hueston station each morning any failed messages are all sent perfectly.

This suggests that it is more a coverage issue in the Lucan area than a text problem. Also is it only at peak times you have the problem ?

I know Vodafone in the past have had coverage problems in this area and they were ongoing for sometime before they got it all sorted. This suggests
    that it might be a hard area to provide coverage in.

Number of reasons could affect this like high capacity needed for a built up area.Hard to get planning permission for sites.
    Whatever the reasons maybe meteor are having the same problem and it will also take time for them to improve the coverage.

yeah I am of the opinion that it must be a network issue as well. I cannot send any texts anytime of day or night from Lucan. A guy in the Henry st. shop had this theory that the phone boosts the signal when you place a call , but when you send a text the phone does not boost the signal at all, but I have been dubious of this theory as explaining the texting problem as the phone always displays the signal strength as 4-5 bars (out of a maximum 5). Over the past few months I have been getting more network busy messages when I try to place calls, but I can ususlly place the call after a few attempts. Meteor only costs me about 15-20E per month which is a lot cheaper than O2 used to charge so I do want to stick with em but my patience is wearing down gradually. A few months ago I did set the phone up for MMS and I cannot send these from Lucan either, but have no probs anywhere else in the country. Receiving sms's or MMS's is no problem anywhere. Sometimes I miss the reliability of O2 :)

blah blah blah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I was hoping to switch to Meteor to get cheaper calls. I'm put off the idea now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

do you have anyone you know on Meteor to ask, particulalry those who 'move' in the same areas you do

a mate tried one of their pre-pay SIMs for a short while before switching to make sure it worked out ok from him - probably the easiest way to check if their service suits your needs (or not)

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Meteor are just a very bad network as in coverage etc
    I'd have to disagree, i've never had problems with meteor texting, which is remarkable seeing as their smsc(s?) must take some belting with the free sms. i couldnt get coverage once in ballinaskelligs on the coast of west kerry. this problem was however rectified by standing in a certain spot and point my phone towards waterville across the bay. even o2 and vodafone people had trouble there though

blah blah blah

do you have anyone you know on Meteor to ask, particulalry those who 'move' in the same areas you do

a mate tried one of their pre-pay SIMs for a short while before switching to make sure it worked out ok from him - probably the easiest way to check if their service suits your needs (or not)

BrianG

Well I actually need a new phone so I might aswell get it and then use my current Vodafone sim if need be. I assume you have to unlock meteor phones too? (prepaid)

blah blah blah

Yep meteor phones are locked just like vodafone and o2.

Argggghhh.

blah blah blah

Finaly had my texting problem sorted :D - it was caused by an upgrade to the software on the mast that serves Lucan according to Meteor. It seems that a few sims didn't like the particular software upgrade and caused the problem. One replacement sim and now I can text anyone from anywhere. Its been a bit of a battle though, I made at least a dozen calls to customer service and a few emails until finally I got onto Jo in the helpdesk who seemed to have some sort of initiative/clue about how to diagnose the cause and resolve it. Thanks to Jo at Meteor helpdesk-I'd recommend her services in the event of any meteor phone problems you encounter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Doublezero8

Poor Jo will have her head wrecked ;)

Good to hear you got it all sorted .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Jamie8292

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Meteor are absolutely terrible.
    I'm sticking with them though because the one I love is with meteor so we can text each other for free. And also they have the cheapest texts, without counting O2's "bundle" sh!te. And they have the cheapest calls.

I live just outside the city centre (Dublin) though and yet the coverage in my house is terrible. It's usually extremely low signal or very often there is just no signal whatsoever.

And long texts take AAAAAAGES to update! And I have a constant problem with texts delivering and receiving other people's texts etc....

And don't even get me started on the whole roaming process!

But I stick with them purely because of the free texts! Sure you'll do anything when you're in love!

Oh yeah, and the €10 free credit every month! :D Only got 5 months of that left though.

• Advertisement

Jamie8292 wrote:

And don't even get me started on the whole roaming process!

QUOTE]
    oh you mean the roaming process where its cheaper to ring vodafone from mexico on meteor then it is to ring vodafone on vodafone from ireland, the same roaming process that has more partners then vodafone and o2? stop whining, they had to build their network from scratch and at least they won their contract legitimately. it's not like they're not making concessions, they know coverage is weak, they're working on it.
    at oxygen this year, people on o2 and voda had trouble making calls, sometimes taking up to 7 attempts, people on meteor had no trouble at all, and the majority of young studenty people use meteor, so the heaviset usage would be on meteor's network, thats not including the amount of roaming northies, but thats anothers days thread!
    I heard a rumour, maybe brian can confirm or rubbish, that meteor will be able to use o2's masts from september 1st?

got it here,
    METEOR SIGNS NATIONAL ROAMING AGREEMENT WITH O2

10th August 2004: Meteor Mobile Communications has announced that it has signed a National Roaming Agreement with O2 Ireland that will allow it to offer customers national coverage in advance of the completion of its own network roll-out. O2 will provide Meteor with national roaming services in specific areas of the country where Meteor does not have full network coverage as yet, including Counties Kerry, Donegal, Mayo, Cavan, Sligo and Leitrim, parts of counties Limerick, Galway and Cork, and parts of Roscommon, Longford, Clare.

The agreement does not cover Limerick City, Cork City or Galway City where Meteor has full coverage on its own network. The agreement will run for 30 months beginning on September 1st, with coverage services being introduced gradually throughout the geographic roaming areas over the following weeks. Meteor has already achieved 90% population coverage on its own network and this agreement will mean that Meteor customers will now be able to make and receive calls on the O2 network in areas where Meteor does not yet have full coverage.

There will be no additional charge to Meteor customers for availing of national roaming and services will be available on both 2G and 2.5G networks, covering voice calls, SMS and GPRS services including Multimedia and photo messaging. Meteor will continue to build out its own network and roaming services will be discontinued on a gradual basis over the duration of the agreement as Meteor completes its own network build and introduces its own coverage.

Stewart Sherriff, Meteor's Chief Executive, said " This is a commercial deal that makes sense for both Meteor and O2, but of more importance is the way it will benefit all mobile phone users because we will now have a playing pitch that is a lot more level".

" We have been aggressively building out our own network and we will continue to do so, but this agreement gives us coverage throughout the country well ahead of schedule", he added. " This means that competition will become a lot keener throughout the market because we will now be competing on a more equal footing and without the coverage issues that we have faced while we have been building our own network", he continued

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

I am a Meteor customer and enjoy the free SMS' and MMS'. Although I do have one gripe, occasionally when I go to send a message, literally the second I press send, I get an error message saying message not sent this time even though I have full signal. Most of the time I have to turn my phone on and off before it will send messages again.

Advertisement