Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tenant Order Laws tomorrow

Options
  • 05-08-2004 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

From RTE

http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0805/housing1.html

Extract:

"Mr Ahern is bringing in laws tomorrow that will allow for the banning of offspring of tenant purchasers from an area."

Has anyone any idea what on earth this means in practice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

alleepally wrote:
    Has anyone any idea what on earth this means in practice?
    In practice? I'm not even sure what the sequence of words after "banning" even means. Something to do with getting undesirable and troublesome kids ("kids" being over 18 presumably) out of council housing? Something to do with fleas and dogs? Reading the rest of the article I suspect it's more likely to be the former. "Bringing in laws" is a little vague though. Could be a statutory instrument I suppose, can't be introduction of legislation in the Dail as it's Marbella season at Leinster House.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I suppose it is to stop potential troublemakers having an automatic right to live in the area, just because their parents do or did. It is not going to be easy to put into practice, that's for sure. I can see a lot of complications arising from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

I have just read the link. I agree with this because the revolving-door prison system makes it inevitable that young troublemakers will be up to their usual tricks or car-theft, vandalism, and drug-dealing. I am a young person (24) so I am definitely not stereotyping youn people. But a small minority make life hell for the rest, and I strongly feel that measures like this are not before time.

Advertisement