Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best use of music

• 06-08-2004 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

What do you think is the best use of a song or a piece of music in a film, not like the classical score.

I'm going for that doors song in Apocalyse Now (can't remember the name exactly) and

God speed you black emperor in 28 Days later.

Add morer I'll just name them all :rolleyes: :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Fuhrio

I like all the little saxophone bits running throughout the scenes in the Lethal Weapon movies. They really get the atmosphere going.

Also, the song in LOTR while there going down the anduin river is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Oh brother where art though - "Down in the river"

Excellent use of the song very fitting and atmospheric. The soundtrack is amazing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

People are strange - opening to The Lost Boys

also some good ones in donny darko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 biblo

28 Days Later when he's running through the mansion. Donnie Darko has some good ones too. The Matrix at the end where it plays Rage Against The Machine. Lovely!

Pulp Fiction during the opening credits where the radio flickers and it turs to Jungle Boogy. Owch!

I can't think of any others right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The music at the opening of The Thing.
    Awesome, just awesome!

And some of the music in Infernal Affairs was quite fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Sorry, but the "Top Gun" theme (guitar) does it for me. Especially at the start of the film.

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

biblo wrote:
    Pulp Fiction during the opening credits where the radio flickers and it turs to Jungle Boogy. Owch!

Agree with you completely! That's a classic!

Also agree a lot of great music cues in Donnie Darko:

- "The Killing Moon" with Donnie cycling his bike after sleepwalking
    - "Under The Milky Way Tonight" when him and Gretchen come downstairs to the party and Donnie starts seeing all the wormholes. GENIUS!
    - "Head Over Heels" with the scan through the hallway of students / teachers and Sparkle Motion dancing.
    - "Mad World" playing over the montage of all the people affected in some way by Donnie's doings.

One of my favourite movies, for many reasons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

- the entire opening montage of Dead or alive, absolutly kicking
    - Requium for a dream in the film or the same name
    (just after the shootout in the car)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Needle in the Hay by Elliott Smith (RIP) during Richie's suicide scene in The Royal Tenenbaums. Worked really well for me, makes the whole scene have more of an impact.

Donnie Darko aswell, lots of great song selections there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Since we're discussing songs and not score's written for films (hence I can't mention StarWars), I'll put forward:

"We gotta get out of this place" by the Temptations - Opening Scene (not the opening sequence itself - which is a run by of the vietnam war memorial wall with score) to the film "Hamburger Hill".

"O Fortuna" by Orff - the final ride of King Arthur & the Knights of the Roundtable in the film "Excalibur".

Barber's "Adagio for Strings in G minor" - myriad scenes in "Platoon" showing the absolute futility and tragedy of the entire war.

The entire soundtrack to 'Dazed & Confused'.

'Dragula' by Rob Zombie in the fetish club scene in the Matrix. Just suited the scene right down to the ground.

"Flash" by Queen in the film "Flash Gordon".

"Who wants to live forever" by Queen in the scene where McLeod buries his frail, old-aged first wife in the "Highlander".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I don't know the name of the track, but the bit in Kill Bill Volume 1 when O Ren (was that her name?) and five or so Crazy 88s are walking through the club. You know he track I mean! That was awesome.

And staying with Tarantino, Little Green Bag in the Reservoir Dog's title sequence was the perfect track. No scene could have better radiated coolness.

Also, the Terminator theme was fantastic.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

"Where is my Mind" - The Pixies at the end of "Fight Club". Anytime I hear that I'm taken right back to the movie. Same way as RATM's song recalls "The Matrix".
    For some reason Placebo's "Every You (And Every Me)" jumps me back to Cruel Intention's opening even though it wasn't an amazing scene as such.
    Any song used in a Tarantino movie also generally allows me to recall the scene it's used in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Gladiator, where the theme music kicks in at the end..sends a shiver down me' spine.

Actually, while I think of it, "The Others" has the most fabulously atmospheric music - creepy and sad at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Definitely "Mad World" in Donnie Darko and most of the Soundtrack to be honest.

"Belfast" by Orbital in Human Traffic

and from my all time favourite film Goodfellas, "Layla" by Eric Clapton

B.

Wacker wrote:
    I don't know the name of the track, but the bit in Kill Bill Volume 1 when O Ren (was that her name?) and five or so Crazy 88s are walking through the club. You know he track I mean! That was awesome.

And staying with Tarantino, Little Green Bag in the Reservoir Dog's title sequence was the perfect track. No scene could have better radiated coolness.

Also, the Terminator theme was fantastic.

Tarantino has a knack of matching cool songs to cool scenes in his movies. I sometimes think it's main reason he makes films in the first place....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's the only thing I rate him for tbh.

Definitely with lemming on Platoon's use of Addagio for Stings

The Piano theme by Michael Nyman would be another (though it was written for the movie)

ixoy wrote:
    "Where is my Mind" - The Pixies at the end of "Fight Club". Anytime I hear that I'm taken right back to the movie. Same way as RATM's song recalls "The Matrix".
    For some reason Placebo's "Every You (And Every Me)" jumps me back to Cruel Intention's opening even though it wasn't an amazing scene as such.
    Any song used in a Tarantino movie also generally allows me to recall the scene it's used in.

You've all the great ones in my mind there too!

Another one that springs to mind is Beck's "I Need Your Lovin' (Like The Sunshine)" in the opening credits to 'Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind'. In fact, the entire score to that film is great, in my opinion.

Also liked the use of "Girls" by Death In Vegas in the opening scene to 'Lost In Translation'. Where Bob (Bill Murray) is waking up in the cab and looking at the streets of Tokyo from the cab window.

Practically all of Tarantino's films have amazing soundtracks that suit their scenes perfectly (except for the recent "Western feel" score, done by Robert Rodriguez, in 'Kill Bill 2')

Oh, and lastly, possible one of the coolest themes for a film.

Hanz Zimmer "You're So Cool" for 'True Romance' (anyone who hasn't heard this song or seen this film, go and do so now!)

Keep sharing our favourites!!..

basquille wrote:
    Hanz Zimmer "You're So Cool" for 'True Romance' (anyone who hasn't heard this song or seen this film, go and do so now!)

Is that the song that's played on an xylophone?

Wacker wrote:

Love this track too! Set out on a mission to find the name of it after hearing it in the 'Kill Bill: Volume 1" teaser trailer about 2 years ago.

The name of it is: "Battle Without Honor Or Humanity" by Tomoyasu Hotei.

It's the ringtone on my phone. :D

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote:
    Is that the song that's played on an xylophone?

Yeah, you got it in one. It's the theme for the film.

For anyone who doesn't know it, listen to a sample of it here! Half way down the page, first track.

Love that film... the first script Tarantino ever wrote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Two quickly come to mind

1) Summer in the City - Lovin' Spoonful at the beginning of Die Hard with a vengeance. The song suggests something upbeat, people happy etc etc and suddenly boom, and the song keeps going

2) Piano bit of Layla - towards the end of Goodfellas, where they're just finding bodies all over the place, like frozen in the meatmarket. Shame that the piano Coda to the song never gets played on t'radio, they just cut off after 3 mins - missing out the (other) best bit of the song!

basquille wrote:
    Yeah, you got it in one. It's the theme for the film.

That music is amazing, good call basquille!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Lozjm

Bangles version of , simon and garfunc's - hazy shade of winter -

can't remember the film though 80's ?

any one know it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 biblo

ixoy wrote:
    "Where is my Mind" - The Pixies at the end of "Fight Club"

AAAGGGGHHH!!!! I can't believe I forgot that one!!!

I've noticed no one else has said it, probably because it's really obvious. Steeler's Wheel - Stuck In The Middle With You. You know what movie I'm talking about. The genius is not only the music contrasts the actions so well but the lyrics are chillingly close to what's happening!

"I don't know why I came here tonight,
    I got the feeling that something ain't right,
    I'm so scared in case I fall off my chair."

And also
    "Pleeeeeeaase"

Joey Ramone - What A Wonderful World at the end of Bowling For Columbine.

Nine Inch Nails - Into The Void when the guy's driving in Final Destination. Just because you catch the lyrics "Pictures in my head of the final destination"

Nine Inch Nails - Closer (remix) intro to Se7en. Need I say more?

The whole soundtrack to Taxi Driver.

I know there are others but I can't think of them right now. GAH!!

Do flash movies count? And if they do does it count if I made the flash movies?? If yes check these out:

The Opening Credits to this.

And the end credits to this.

cough*cheap way to pimp my toons*cough

Lozjm wrote:
    Bangles version of , simon and garfunc's - hazy shade of winter -

can't remember the film though 80's ?

any one know it ?

I may not be right.... but for some reason, i'm thinking 'The Breakfast Club'

I may not be right.... but for some reason, i'm thinking 'The Breakfast Club'
    accordint to this it was the movie Less Than Zero

accordint to this it was the movie Less Than Zero

Yeah, you're right!

See here also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

I've remember another 1. 'Born Slippy' by underworld in Trainspotting, just the way it's used at the final scene.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Lozjm

The Battlescene music in Excalibur

Was it ride of the valkyrie ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Koyaanisqatsi: the entire thing.

Or, if we have to choose otherwise, I'm with "You're So Cool" and "Where is my mind". Wes Anderson has some amazing musical cues.. like "Ooh La La" by the Small Faces at the end of Rushmore, or "Needle in the Hay" by Elliot Smith in the Royal Tenenbaums.

Would it be too dumb to say that the Jackass movie had some great music? Take all credibility from the rest of my post? Oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

if were talking classical, id prolly go for 2001 a space odessy, blue danube and the planets and such. But really there is far too much to choose from.
    But let me see you have like conan, Robocop, Terminator, all those classics have wonderful music to film, also miyazaki and Kitano films have wonderfull music, especially hanabi - the scene with the flowers.

If we are talking modern music to film, Resident evil, Blood Red, Bladerunner, again the list goes on/

I really think anime do this the best though such as miyazakis work but even more so Noir, Hack Sign, FLCL, Blood the last vampire, Rahxephon, which totally owns me; has some wonderful music to animation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I don't know if it's the best but I love the 1930's ballroom music at the end of The Shining as the camera zooms in on Jack Nicholson's character now in the old b/w photograph on the wall. Spooky kinda. I can't get that song/ soundtrack anywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

A Quick One While He's Away by The Who in Rushmore.

It's played over the scenes with Max and Herman getting back at each other and Max's eventual arrest. The music is very well edited to match the scenes.

Needle in the Hay has already been mentioned....

I also love These Days by Nico which is played over the slow motion shot when Ritche first sees Margot as she's getting off the bus.

Wes Anderson is another of those directors who does great soundtracks. He always seems to stick in a great Rolling Stones track that you've missed out on as well...

Wes Anderson is another of those directors who does great soundtracks. He always seems to stick in a great Rolling Stones track that you've missed out on as well...

Agreed!

Think 'Rushmore' has some amazing music in it. Great film! Always liked it - got it on DVD in London for 5 quid.

But 'The Royal Tenanbaums' just doesn't do it for me!

Anyways, back to the subject of music in 'Rushmore'. Two music cues i remember most from it:

- The Faces "Ooh La La" - amazing song to close the film.. Loved the curtain close too! :)
    - Cat Stevens "The Wind" - kite flying scene between Max, Dirk and Margaret.

Also worth mention Cat Stevens "Here Comes My Baby" and The Rolling Stones "I Am Waiting"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

And don't forget Creation with Making Time from the begining of the film with the wonderful montage of all the different societies that Max is involved in.

And there is Oh Yoko by John Lennon, when Max is helping Herman get back in shape so he can win back Ms. Cross.

Concrete and Clay was used well too in another scene.

I think we've covered every track used in the film now?

Was watching 'The Girl Next Door' (most under-rated film of the year, by the way!) last night and i noticed a lot of great music cues in that. Won't give away the scenes where the music comes in but the music suited to some of the scenes in it is perfect, in my opinion. A FILM I CAN'T RECOMMEND ENOUGH! Music includes:

- Queen & David Bowie "Under Pressure"
    - Elliott Smith "Angeles"
    - Echo & The Bunnymen "The Killing Moon"
    - David Gray "This Year's Love"
    - Thunderclap Newman "Something In The Air"
    - Patti LaBelle "Lady Marmalade"
    - N.E.R.D. "Lap Dance"
    - The Verve "Lucky Man"
    - The Who "Baba O'Reilly (Teenage Wasteland)"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Lozjm wrote:
    The Battlescene music in Excalibur

Was it ride of the valkyrie ?

Which scene? :D
    If you're thinking of the final battle scene that would be Orff's "O Fortuna".

Which reminds me ..... Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" in the film "Apocalypse Now". You all KNOW which scene I'm referring to :D

Dah nah nah naaaah nah!
    Dah nah nah naaaah nah!
    Dah nah nah naaaah nah, nah nah nah naaaaaaaah!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

All that music in the girl next door is great music, But i think it was used very badly, really shoved into some of the scene's with any though, didnt blend in well, Especially David grey.

I also liked all of the Elliott smiths songs in "Good Will Hunting"

Most of Full metal jacket is great too!, Espcially the surfin' bird song and these boots are made for walking.

Sinead O'connor song in "In the Name of the Father"

Most of Snatch too, Espcially Massive attack when the caravan is burnt, and Disco science by Mirwais, (the rabbit chase) and Golden brown.

Walk this land by EZ rollers and Zorba the greek from Lock stock Too!

Most of Snatch too, Espcially Massive attack when the caravan is burnt, and Disco science by Mirwais, (the rabbit chase) and Golden brown.

Isn't Oasis' F***in' in the Bushes used in Snatch as well at the boxing match bit. That's quite good as well....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'm pretty partial to the Lost Highway soundtrack. The use of Barry Adamson's pieces really fit with the film noir vibe of the movie. Plus the greatest ever Smashing Pumpkins song is on the sountrack.

Another great all round soundtrack is Heat. The film is so-so but the soundtrack is top notch. The perfect unsettling piece of music is present on this album in the form of Einstuerzende Neubauten's Armenia. I saw them live earlier in the year and they played it and it just overwhelms you.

Lou Reed's "Perfect Day" in Trainspotting work's very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Did no one else see "Jaws" ? I can't even go into the bathroom if that music is playing.

Don't even mention the music from "the Exorcist".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I think the discussion was just about normal bits of music used in films, not scores done specifically for the film. Although, I totally agree about the Jaws music, scares the **** out of me. And Tubular Bells is class too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Ok perhaps I mis-understood the theme.

How about "Leaving on a jet plane" in Armageddon just before blast off.

Advertisement