Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Wireless kit works in Ireland?

• 06-08-2004 1:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Hope this hasnt been asked before, but will American 802.11b wireless routers and pc cards, laptop cards etc work properly in Ireland? I'm in the US for the summer and when I go home I want to set up a wireless network in my house for a new broadband connection. Prices here are a lot cheaper..

I suspect they may operate on different frequesncies, and this may even be illegal.. but that aside, would different frequencies matter if I'm only working within my own system and not planning on buying more wireless equipment from Ireland? (My system should be a router connected to the broadband box, connecting to a PC using a PCI card, and also to a laptop using a PCMCIA card; dont want a dirty cable running all the way to the home PC!)

If all this sounds very dodgy, then whats the cheapest solution for setting up a wireless network in Ireland? I see that Eircom offer a cheap E50 wireless router as part of their broadband kit, although they dont specify on the website if its b or g or whatever.

On a sidenote, is 802.11b fast enough for a broadband connection and for moving around small amounts of files? Is the real-world speed comparable, say USB 2 or USB 1.1 or somewhere in the middle?

So many questions!

Thanks a lot for any help!

David

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

They will work fine - just remember that if the power supply with them doesn't take 110v-220v then you will have to get a suitable one here.

The American frequencies for 802.11b are a subset of (most of the) European ones, in practical terms they are virtually the same.

At ~5mbit/sec, .11b is well fast enough for broadband and moving medium size files, and eg streaming audio. It's not so hot if you want to stream high-res video, but you can do that also to an extent. I think USB 1.1 is around 10mbit so it's roughly half that.

Stephen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

802.11b is fine anywhere .... that 2.4Ghz band is the same everywhere ... the only restrictions on it being power outputted by the equipment AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Some countries like France have more excessive restrictions on what channels you can use in the 2.4ghz range, in effect, there is only 1 available non-overlapping channel there, whereas there are 3 available to use in the rest of Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Ok thanks, sounds good!

If the frequencies are the same then I might get a laptop wireless card here (cheap off amazon) and combine it with the wireless kit supplied by Eircom (I checked their broadband support; its b format and it looks like a good box, so should be no problems)

Streaming audio will be handy too.

Cheers guys

Advertisement