Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

satellite broadband by eircom

Options
  • 06-08-2004 2:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭

i live in a rural area and thought i could not get broadband,however i rang eircom customer services and they say i can get satellite broadband subject to a site survey or something,its E350 for installation,my question is do people have satellite broadband and is it good/bad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

See http://www.irishwan.org/ there may be a better alternative in your area already

ANYTHING is better than satellite which is only really usable for browsing the web and file downloads.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

eircom have a FWA product also available in some areas depending on how rural you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

You may want to check out Digiweb.ie as well for satellite. They do two-way, I seem to recall Eircom's is just one way (dial-up in the other direction). And I think there are cheaper one-way providers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Muck wrote:
    See http://www.irishwan.org/ there may be a better alternative in your area already

ANYTHING is better than satellite which is only really usable for browsing the web and file downloads.

M

That site is down today apparently after an attack

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Also if your a light web surfer try www.europeonline.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Tony wrote:
    That site is down today apparently after an attack
    That page has been there for a couple of days now. (It was last modified on the 28th of July).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

just to show dreams can come true,today is the day i got broadband,thank you eircom!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

what ???

it took eircom 3 years to install a satellite dish did it ???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I'm amazed it didn't take longer tbh :D

my apoligies i should clarify,i didnt get satellite broadband as it was too expensive ,but eircom left the tantalysing prospect that i may be able to get broadband,the village ilived near got it after a campaign,then the line status went from red to yellow, then my uncle got it down the road,then a few weeks ago they said i could get it!! got the broadband pack on friday and got online today!hooray!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It can happen. attenuation fluctuates a bit depending on when the engineers test it. Could be any reason why.

Nice one! Don't get addicted to the much faster internet:)

It's good to see that eircom did what they should have done as soon as the exchange was enabled.

I estimate there's a hundred thousand people or so who don't have a whiff of either DSL or a local FWA company. Count yourself lucky that eircom did their job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I estimate there's a hundred thousand people or so who don't have a whiff of either DSL or a local FWA company. Count yourself lucky that eircom did their job.

Its more like half a million. It would be 100,000 in Connacht alone .Most coverage maps are complete BS .

Some of those can get 3g BB .

It can happen. attenuation fluctuates a bit depending on when the engineers test it. Could be any reason why.

Nice one! Don't get addicted to the much faster internet:)

It's good to see that eircom did what they should have done as soon as the exchange was enabled.

already too late!its 2:37am and ive been online all day...goodbye friends,gf and job!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Is 3G really BB? The ping (latency) is high.

My experiences:
    3G: Up = 70k, down 300k, ping 170ms
    Satellite: Up= 74k to 90k, Down 720k to 920k, ping 670ms (During rain)

(all approximate). I expect the 2 way satellite to become cheaper than 3G services this year as the price of 2 way sat has fallen a lot over the last 5 years and is still dropping. One way sat + dialup + line rental is potentially already more expensive than 3G data or 2 way satellite.

The 3G/HSDPA is fine for mobile, I suppose but speed is anything between 56k and 3400kbps and ping never seems to go below 170ms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Its more like half a million. It would be 100,000 in Connacht alone .Most coverage maps are complete BS .

Some of those can get 3g BB .
    There's loads of companies out there with local wireless services. Though if they all use low-latency backhaul might be a different matter. Half a million is the amount of people who only can't get DSL as it stands, and I think that's slightly overestimating at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

with satellite anything below 1 second lag is good. usually hangs around 1200ms

Advertisement