Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vanilla pods

• 06-08-2004 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Bought Gordon Ramsay's "Just Desserts" because I'd like to start experimenting on desserts.

But some of the ingrediennts I just can't find (in Cork) like mint leaves but more so vanilla pods which is used in a lot of Ramsay's desserts.

So does anyone know where I can buy them in Cork?

I found a site where you could order online from UK (didn't know that they were that expensive)

http://www.vanilla-pods.co.uk/order.html

Or would vanilla extract be adequate?

Thx.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

vanilla extract should work, cheeper as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭Doodah7

You should be able to find vanilla pods in any supermarket and they are not very expensive. As Agent Smith said, vanilla essence can do in a pinch but Gordon Ramsay, being uber picky about ingredients, would probably throw a tantrum and kick you out of the kitchen!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Ah man...you just can't compare essence with the real deal.....I'd kick ya out of the kitchen myself :D

Tesco Wilton sell a jar of Schwartz Vanilla Pods , in the spices section for €2.86 for a 1.5g Jar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Mint leaves should also be readily available in any medium sized supermarket..
    You can usually buy these fresh, in the form of a mini pot-plant type of thing..

The trick is to try and keep the damn things alive for more than a couple of weeks..

My Rosemary is 4 weeks alive, and counting!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Apparently Vanilla pod's are one of the world's most expensive commodities. In South America the horse drawn trailer's used to transport the pods and the warehouses that store the pods have to be secured by armed guards twenty four hours a day as many bandits have been known to maim and kill purely to get their hands on a wagon full of vanilla.

Most of the vanilla flavoured products you eat contain nothing more than vanilla flavouring's more than likely produced by the same people who give your aftershave such nauseating aromas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Health food shops may have them. I took out a pack, I think 1.50 was on it and went up to the counter, the guy asked for over 10 euro, it was 1.50 each! Only bought the 1 it is quite strong and very nice, nothing like the cheap essence. I think some shops do "real" essence now, expensive but cheaper than pods

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

thx for the replies.
    Didn't think they sell them in health food shops but I''ll check them out (cheers rubadub) 'cause I found them in Tesco selling at €2.80 a pod in those Schwartz jars which is quite expensive I think.

Oh yeah if a recipe requires for one vanilla pod how many teaspoons of vanilla extract does it equate to (if I was to do a dessert on the cheap ;) )?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 tadgher

Vanilla *essence* is the cheap chemical stuff.

Vanilla *extract* is the real thing, and is as good as using pods.

I've only been able to find extract in N. Ireland. Essence is available everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Get the pods, they may seem expensive but are worth it, thing is too, you let them dry out then you use them again or you store them in castor sugar then add this sugar where vanilla is required, essence is horrible stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Apparently Madagascar - the source of over half the world's vanilla - has had disastrous crops for the last few years, and vanilla is becomming rarer and more expensive. It's going to get worse before it gets better...

http://www.abqtrib.com/shns/story.cfm?pk=VANILLAPRICES-08-18-04&cat=FF

• Advertisement
Advertisement