Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beckham to Liverpool?

• 06-08-2004 2:55am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

Ok:
    I've been to see Liverpool twice now, but I was in Manchester there last week, and decided to go on the Anfield tour.

Now, the guy hosting the tour knew his stuff. Some people in the tour asked him some pretty detailed questions, and he was very able to answer the questions (random questions, about the team) to the fine details, without any hesitation at all.

According to him:
    Liverpool were in talks about signing Beckham, from a direct swap between him and Baros with Real Madrid if Vieira went to Real M. According to him, he got this information from the same source at Melwood (Liverpool's training ground, and braincentre of the team) who knew about Benitez's "definate" move about 3 weeks before the signing.

Now that Vieira has signed for R.M., what do you think about this?
    I don't think there's much point in talking about the Liverpool/Man Ure rivalry in any of this, seeing as anything like that has gone out of the window, as far as Beckham is concerned anyways.

So, is this tour-hype/entertainment, or what?
    S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Well I wouldn't fancy Beckham to stay at Real much longer but I would have thought they would at least keep him for another year just so it looks like he was a player. But maybe they have got all the marketing out of them they need and maybe he did help build the image of the team. Maybe they want to concentrate on getting some football played this year so maybe he will be shown the door.

And why the hell not Liverpool? Or Chelsea for that matter. But I would believe that he will be back in England fairly soon.

I would have thought they would have given him at least one more year though. Then again, maybe he knows he will be sidelined for the year ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No chance whatsoever.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

whats unusual is i couldnt see him at any other club if he leaves real because we know he wont be back at united and as for chelsea i couldnt see them buying him when they have about 400 midfielders as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Don't think Victoria would be too happy living on Merseyside. Wouldn't particular want her there either, nor him. Unless it was for Tranmere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Completely off-topic;
    PiE: Liverpool is only 45 minutes from Manchester.

Anywho...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

PiE wrote:
    Don't think Victoria would be too happy living on Merseyside. Wouldn't particular want her there either, nor him. Unless it was for Tranmere.
    Most Liverpool players don't live in Liverpool and they wouldn't either. If they still have whatever family home they used for Manchester then I'd imagine they could use it again.

I don't like Beckham but then again I don't like Owen either and he could sort out the right side of midfield for us quite nicely. I'd imagine he could improve on his performances from last season, he'd be more settled back in England.

It's an interesting one....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Theres no way Beckham would move to LFC, I am a huge LFC Fan and also watched a lot of Madrid last few years, although Beckham played great in some matches his overall performance on the season was not that great.

The only team with the kudos to sign Beckham and have the finance to make it real would be Chelsea. I may be wrong but his buy out is around €124mil no way LFC have that cash around, if they did theres a dam site better to buy on the market then one player who likes looking at his mirror more than playing the game.

No Way would Beckham be a Real red next season

The biggest problem could actually be Becks wages - he's probably on a packet at Madrid.

If Madrid get Vieira then it's possible that they would want to offload him, it wouldn't be a case of paying to buy him out.

The wage thing could be resolved by giving him more marketing freedom / rights.

Still not sure I like the idea though....

<edit>
    I like it better than the idea of Thomas Gravesen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Veira has NOT signed for Real and IMO wont.

irish1 wrote:
    Veira has NOT signed for Real and IMO wont.
    At this stage you are probably (possibly (maybe)) right - Beckham will go nowhere unless they have someone else in there 1st

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I believe that if Beckham was picking a team in England to join, for football reasons alone, he would pick Liverpool. Reason: Owen and Gerrard. He gets on great with both of them, and loves playing with Stevie G in particular.

Could Liverpool afford his wages? Doubtful

No doubt that Posh would prefer Arsenal or Chelsea.

Would Madrid really want Baros given the strikers they already have.

Baros has apparently said he wants to play for Barca. Would hardly go down well with the Madrid faithful!

I'm not sure Madrid would want rid of Beckham anyhow, even if Vieria came. The team line-up could be:

Salgado - Samuel - Helguera - Carlos
    Figo - Vieria - Beckham - Zidane
    Ronaldo - Raul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

It won't happen... ever.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Firstly Benitez has stated on a number of occasions that he wants 4 strikers available to him for the season. Baros is one of those four. Baros has also publically stated that he is staying at liverpool.

However, i think SG, MO, DB and the new god DC would link particularly well. DC is good in the air and could latch on to DB high balls while MO would thrive on DB's through balls. But could you imagine the reception he'd get in the theatre of silence?

Bottom line, i dont think it will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

:D

Lorenzo Sainz (former Real Madrid president) in his campaign to be re-elected opened negotiations with an agent claiming to represent Milan Baros. The agent was looking to make a quick buck and didn't have the permission of Baros or Liverpool to broker a deal. As part of his campaign he said if he was elected he would sell Beckham and Ronaldo to Chelsea and buy Milan Baros from Liverpool. A couple of weeks ago Beckham was seen out in Liverpool with Gerrard and Barton (Gerrard's mate at Man City). Fill in the dots and you've got what some might consider a credible rumour.

Liverpool have spoken to Real Madrid about signing a player, but it's supposedly Figo. The player has been told that he can sit out the remainder of his contract at the club. He had an offer from Chelsea but that was before Mourinho arrived and it has since been withdrawn. I was told Real have been approached by two Premiership teams about the player - one is Bolton who want to take him on loan for the season. The other I've been told is Liverpool but it could just be a tease and I doubt it will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

According to him:
    Liverpool were in talks about signing Beckham, from a direct swap between him and Baros with Real Madrid if Vieira went to Real M.

Heard this too last week. Can't see it happening though.

"I said to the manager if somebody else came in I wanted to stay. I always wanted to play in England.

from that link that irish1 posted.

Besides its $ky, you should never take them seriously!

"I said to the manager if somebody else came in I wanted to stay. I always wanted to play in England.

from that link that irish1 posted.

Besides its $ky, you should never take them seriously!

That link also quotes Baros as saying:
    "When I was a kid it was my dream to play for Barcelona," said Baros. "To move to them would be nice but, if not, then I will stay here.

That link does indeed say that, and again i will say its $ky, you should never take them seriously.

Baros finished top scorer in euro 2004 and unless liverpool receive an offer they cant refuse they wont let him go. IMO beckham for Baros would be a good move, the former being an unprecedented cash cow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I'm not sure Madrid would want rid of Beckham anyhow, even if Vieria came. The team line-up could be:

Salgado - Samuel - Helguera - Carlos
    Figo - Vieria - Beckham - Zidane
    Ronaldo - Raul

There's not a hope in hell that Zidane would tolerate beeing shifted over to the left to accomodate Beckham. If Veira goes to Real, then Beckham has no other position than substitute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

A deal for a certain english player at Madrid was done and dusted but he changed his mind and wanted to stay in spain to prove himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

There's not a hope in hell that Zidane would tolerate beeing shifted over to the left to accomodate Beckham. If Veira goes to Real, then Beckham has no other position than substitute.

He wouldnt be stuck on the left, he'd be swapping occassionally with Figo, and also floating around a lot - exactly like he did last season when Beckham was always in central midfield.

Zindane didnt play more than a couple of games (if any at all) as being one of a two man centre midfield. He was always on the wing or behind the front men. Now if Vieira does join it does open up the possibility of playing a PV ZZ centrefiled partnership. But its more likely they'd stick with Becks (at least at the beginning). Zidane would then play exaclty as he played last year. There's no question whatsoever of him not "tolerating being shifted over to the left".

He wouldnt be stuck on the left, he'd be swapping occassionally with Figo, and also floating around a lot - exactly like he did last season when Beckham was always in central midfield.

Zindane didnt play more than a couple of games (if any at all) as being one of a two man centre midfield. He was always on the wing or behind the front men. Now if Vieira does join it does open up the possibility of playing a PV ZZ centrefiled partnership. But its more likely they'd stick with Becks (at least at the beginning). Zidane would then play exaclty as he played last year. There's no question whatsoever of him not "tolerating being shifted over to the left".

Solari plays on the left side of midfield and has done for most of Real's games last season and so far in pre-season. If Veira does come to Real then he'll take over Beckham's holding role in midfield. Figo and Solari will continue to act as wingers and Zidane will have a free role. Maybe there is room for Beckham but I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Solari plays on the left side of midfield and has done for most of Real's games last season and so far in pre-season. If Veira does come to Real then he'll take over Beckham's holding role in midfield. Figo and Solari will continue to act as wingers and Zidane will have a free role. Maybe there is room for Beckham but I doubt it.
    They would be stupid paying £23m on Vieira if they are planning on using him as a holding midfielder. They could get a proven holding midfielder for a quarter of the price.

eirebhoy wrote:
    They would be stupid paying £23m on Vieira if they are planning on using him as a holding midfielder. They could get a proven holding midfielder for a quarter of the price.

They did it with Beckham ;)

By holding, I meant playing Veira in a defensive role as he does with Arsenal making the occasional break forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

They did it with Beckham ;)

By holding, I meant playing Veira in a defensive role as he does with Arsenal making the occasional break forward.
    Where did they finish again last seasoN? ;)

Tell me a team that play (and have been successful) without a holding midfielder and your second point will have a little validity. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

irishgeo wrote:
    A deal for a certain english player at Madrid was done and dusted but he changed his mind and wanted to stay in spain to prove himself.

yes but Steve Macmanaman has since gone to Man City .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Sinecure wrote:
    Completely off-topic;
    PiE: Liverpool is only 45 minutes from Manchester.

Anywho...
    Precisely, she didn't wanna hang around Manchester very much either so I don't think she'd be willing to return anywhere up North, not just Liverpool.

Apart from her, the last thing Liverpool need now are some new spice boys. Literally.

Advertisement