Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Application monitoring software

Options
  • 06-08-2004 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

[Mods: Please move this if it's in the wrong place]

I'm just wondering if someone can recommend me a freeware application that would track/monitor the usage of a single or multiple applications on a windows PC?

Ideally speaking, it would log application startup times, end times and calculate 'session' durations, and total times, on a weekly/monthly basis.

I don't want much do i? :)

Google turned up a few results, but couldn't find one with all of the above and thought one of you might know of a suitable app.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭fractal

You could try something like:
    @processes2monitor = ('OUTLOOK','firefox','pr0nviewer'); #Application list to monitor
    $timeout = 1; #Num seconds between monitoring activity
    $outfile = "c:\temp\outfile-"; #where should log files be written (this could be a network share)

open(OF,$outfile);

while(1)
    {
    $output = `tasklist /FI "USERNAME eq usernametospyon"`;
    @output = split("\n",$output);

foreach (@output)
    {
    @temp = split('.exe|.EXE',$_);
    $appname = @temp[0];

foreach $proc (@processes2monitor)
    {
    if("$proc" eq "$appname")
    {
    $time = localtime(time());
    print OF "$time,$appname\n";
    }
    }
    }
    sleep($timeout);
    }
    close(OF);
    Using that you could write the logfile to a network share and analyse it using Excel or summat? you could also run it as a service on a WinNT/2k/XP machine using instsrv/srvany (google them) so its non-intrusive... That script depends on perl being on the host machine but you could write it in pretty much any lang.. Also do a tasklist /? to find out how to get a tasklist from a remote machine...

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Thanks fractal.

I am prepared to write my own solution if I have to, in fact I have almost finished up as is - I was just hoping for a more "tried and trusted" app.

Oh well :)

Advertisement