Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about water

• 06-08-2004 10:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

OK i've got a bit of a problem where I live. The harshness of the water.

Now I wouldn't normally complain. I'm not pushed normally for my skin, but the state of the water here is rediculous. Hard water? This is the hardest!!

It's so bad that if you use the taps in the sink regularly (about 3 times a day) then after a few days you begin to see a residue on the inside of the basin. I don't know if this is residue left from the water, or oxidation :(

I was just wondering if anybody knew of anything which you could fit to the water intake for this, or if you needed to fit something to the pipes inside the house for it.

Does the water need to be treated as it's coming in, or does it need to be magnetised or whatever?

Has anyone had this done? And does anyone know how much it costs?

Is it something that I could do myself or would I need a plumber to do it for me?

Any help on this would be great tbh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

You can get equipment that filters/softens the water as it comes into your house.

go here http://www.perfectwater.ie
    or
    here http://www.springsoft.ie/home.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

would a britta filter not do the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

B&Q have kits you fit into the taps (or inbetween the taps and pipes I'm not sure) that will filter it before it comes out. Very handy apparantly. It's probably the same type of system Sleipner linked to.

My water isn't too bad so I just use a Brita filter, but give B&Q a call, they could probably advice you more on the other filter system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Yeah, but the only thing is, I want this for all of the water in the house, not just certain taps. My shower is electric so I don't want the water coming through that clogging it up, or causing the kind of affect it has on my skin (drys it up very quickly).

I'll take a look at those links later and see if it has anything I can use :) Thanks so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭The Roach

I have the exact same problem where I live. I'm out in bogger-land, and my lane has it's own pump to supply water. We had to get a purification system installed which adds some sort of salts to the water in an effort to soften it a bit. It does help a little, but the water now comes out of the taps cloudy, and you have to let it settle before it becomes clear! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

What you need is an Ion Exchange resin.... the cost a bit, do a search.

john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I'm not pushed normally for my skin
    would a britta filter not do the job?
    Well it gets very tedious using one in the shower. Takes ages to fill up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

It's not just to do with the shower etc. It's the fact that if left unchecked this rust effect could damage all of the pipes in the house and then i'm out a fortune to get the house replumbed :(

I'm just hoping that it's not caused too much of a problem already, but since I moved in a few months ago the taps have gone from smooth outpour, to spattered outpour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement