Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker School

Options
  • 06-08-2004 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

What's the deal with the poker lessons they give in the Fitz?
    I heard some lads talking about it a while back. Any point??
    Who does the teaching? :)

Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

The guy who teaches the classes was playing at my table in the €100 game one night. When he got busted out (all in on K6o), the cash game players were slagging him as being a bad player.

I suppose you could always just read some books and surf the web to learn more about poker, nothing like learning from playing though.

Think MrPudding did that course.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Mr Pudding went to it, I think he felt it was good. Personally I had given it some serious thought and would have gone if it was convenient but now I'm kinda thinking that you need to discover your own style or else you end up playing a "system" and any predictability in your play is a bad thing.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dubwhite

That's a bit of a bad sign. I guess he just got tired of waiting for better cards or something...

I read one book by the Late Night Poker crew, but it didn't really tell me anything I hadn't already picked up through playing in the Fitz.

Whats the best book you could recommend?

Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

dubwhite wrote:
    Whats the best book you could recommend?
    Dave.
    Sklansky's "theory of poker" and Brunson's "Supersystem" seem to be the most popular but there are loads out there.

I'd recommend the archives of articles on www.cardplayer.com . Hundreds of interesting pieces written from all the back issues.
    And take a look at www.twoplustwo.com the forums there are brilliant. No muppetry, loads of traffic and very interesting discussions. The forums aren't the best design but Sklansky and Malmuth get involved in the threads.
    Alot of it is internet and american limit based but there's loads of categorys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭dave_eire

what game(s) are you looking for books on?

the theory of poker by david sklansky is great for general concepts and imho a must read.

if you are quite new to poker, i would recomend reading lee jones winning low limit poker, its a limit book, but will give you a good foundation.

Hold'em for advanced players by sklansky & malmuth i would say is the next srep for limit poker. although if you plan to go down the road of no limit, then bob ciaffone & stewart reuben: pot-limit and no-limit poker

if you are planning to play omaha try bob ciaffone: omaha hold'em poker (this is a small book, with quite a lot of nonscene in it, but some really good stuff that outways the irrelevent rubbish. (starting hands and percentage chapters))

just my 2 cents, i am sure that others will disagree and have there own opinion.

cheersd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Mark Strachan - terrible player but brilliant teacher is what everyone who knows him will tell you, thinking of signing up for it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I really enjoyed the course. It was alot of fun. I found that it pointed out a lot of things that just hadn't clicked with me. I had only been playing a few weeks and had not read any books.

I found it gave me a really good understanding of the game.Did it improve my game? I honestly don't know, but I like to think that it did.

In short, if you are very new to the game I would recommend it. If you already play alot, I would think a bit harder. You may still get something but you may be disapointed.

MrP

Advertisement