Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oh god... ridiculous... laugh at my pain

Options
  • 06-08-2004 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

col loki, you're gonna wanna slap me....

so i was taking out the old heatsynch and fan. a lotta struggle but eventually got it out but lo and behold the chip was stuck to the base of it. so i had also wrenched the chip out of its socket. (p4 2.6)
    so i tried to remove the chip from the base of the heatsynch. with my thumbs and a lot of pressure it finally came off... came off is a slight understatement... flew off is more accurate.
    after a look around for the chip i eventually tried to put it back in the socket. "hmmm... i thought it was supposed to go IN the socket, not sit on top."
    further investigation revealed i had bent some of the pins on the chip. i had a small cardial arrest at that point.
    using a toothpick (oh modern tehcnology!) i bent the pins back into shape and eventually got the chip back in the socket.
    i haven't tried to start up the machine yet. should i???

and on another note, how, using generaly available cleaning products, do i actually clean up the surface of the chip? (before applying thermal grease etc...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

:eek:
    L0L, id say the chip should be ok.I use white spirits to clean off thermal paste tbh

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

Don't worry, your not the first person that this has happend to, it happened a mate (PPC) at a lan a while back when he was pulling the stock heatsink off his chip. The whole thing came out together, I laughed so hard I nearly vomited :/ I think I still have the picture on my phone somewhere :).

The stock thermal pad seems to stick once it's been on for a while and there has been a decent bit of heat involved.

I wouldn't worry too much about the bent pins on the chip, the same happened me with an old P1 that I found and after re-aligning the pins it was flying along at a whole 90mhz :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

I agree, it should be ok if they are alignede properly. I did something similar with a stck of ram and it was fine (well the pins were stuck in the mobo but i still got it working by lining em up perfectly and fitting it in). Sure give it a whirl :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I used a bank card to crowbar my chip off the stock cooler. Didnt bend any pins but I put TIM cleaner on it but the bottle has a useless pour so it drenched about 200pins in cleaner. I used a tissue to clean in between the pins. Some were still wet when I put the chip back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Like the guys have said this happens a bit, from the sounds of it you should be fine. Ive had a couple of bent pins on CPU's and they worked fine (after i straightend them) .

Some nail polish remover should help take the thermal goo from the top of the CPU.

Best not to switch the computer on without a heatsink btw just incase you get brave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

A p4 will actulay run at about 30C with out its heatsink (although very slow) as demonstrated by anandtech's testing.

But don't try it just in case. :D

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Happened me as well. I was removing a thermaltake Silent Boast K8 from my old motherboard and I noticed it was fairly well attached. After consulting my friend he said thermal paste should not cause a heatskin to a cpu and he he told me to try and twist the heatskin sligthly each way and when it became more lax pull it up. After all with the cpu catch down the cpu was safe. In one of those comical moments you see only on those tv programs like it will be alright on the night the heatskin popped out alright only to notice the cpu was missing....fairly logged to the bottom of the heatskin. I gradually pushed it off from a side and it worked fine. Miracle I did not damage a few pins. I only noticed the cpu was missing about 2 seconds before I was about to place the heatskin down on a table and luckly stopped myself from crushing the pins.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

:rolleyes: Nothing beats a nice even spread of peanut butter on the core. The smooth kind ofcourse :cool:. So I find licking it all off does the job nicely,

Dog likes to do it to (funny to watch) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I ripped my stock heatsink off my 2.4 P4 and plonked it down on the table and looked at the hole when my chip was ment to be, the damm Chip was still stuck to the heatsink, i bent a good few pins, but a few mins later i corrected them and it was fine, scared the shít out of me. been running sweet at 3.2 since. (had to get that in!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Use nailpolish remover (acetone) to clean off the cpu. Works brilliantly.

Wouldn't worry about it, we've had P4s with pins broken off that worked (ok some not.. depends on which pin is gone!) before. If they're still attached I wouldn't worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭the raven

well, here i am, all's all right. the chip is pushin harder than ever and the new zalman is pretty darn purdy.
    (down with stock cooling!)

my heart rate is back to normal as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Yeah this has happened to me before as well....

but the easiest way to get the cpu from the heatsink, is to put it back into the socket(make sure ya have it the right way round) and power on the system... for a few seconds.....just enough time to heat up the paste...then shut down the system and the heat sink should come straight off.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

i have done it with p4 2.8 unclipped the stock fan of the heatsink lifted the heatsink out and the cpu was stuck to the bottom of the heatsink- i almost died a cpu that was not even a week old- i had to use a hairdryer to soften up the thermal paste cpu feel off- two of the pins were bent right over used a small pin bent them back nice and straight applied to AS5 to cpu and installed new heatsink on top of it. works like a dream :D:D

Advertisement