Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this router work for me?

Options
  • 06-08-2004 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭

I'm getting eircom broadband. I want to share this between 3 computers including one in a different room from the access point. From what I can gather from the faqs, etc. I'll need a router with a few ethernet ports and a wireless access point, and a wireless adaptor for the remote PC.

I was wondering if these fit the bill, or are they overkill/underkiil/not what I need at all?

http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/product.asp?pr=3CRWE254G72&pm=4709

http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/product.asp?pr=WAG54G&pm=1517

I keep firewalls, AV, windows patches, etc. current, so I am not too bothered about built in security on the router. Am I missing the point? Finally what type of ethernet cables do I need - crossover or the other kind?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Eircom offer a router as part of the installation process. The one I have is a Netopia, it comes with two connections (USB and CAT5)

Assuming you've chosen one of your PCs as your "main PC", you can do the following:

- attach the Eircom router to your Main PC via CAT5
    - Add a second network card to your main PC
    - Attach your main PC to a hub from 2nd network card
    - Attach the second PC to the hub
    - Attach a Wireless Access Point to your hub
    - Get a Wireless PC card for your PC in the other room

Now, this is not going to work "automagically" and needs further configuration (namely NAT/DHCP and firewall traversal)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Eh, no need for a second network card. Just plug everything into the switch/hub. If the eircom router has a built in 4 port switch you won't need a separate switch. My set up at home is as follows:

DSL connected to D-Link DSL router with built in 4 port switch. PC is also connected to one of the switch ports on this. Another port on this is connected to my wireless access point (SMC2804WBR). The SMC has its own built in 4 port switch, so if needs be i have plenty of room for adding wired PC's. Two laptops and 1 desktop access the net through the SMC access point.

Stephen wrote:
    Eh, no need for a second network card

I take your point here - let Eircom dish out addresses to the devices and put firewalls on the PCs.

But then don't you end up with a public IP address on your WAP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭musician.ie

Thanks for the replies lads.
    Still a bit stumped though :o
    Stephen - you have a 4port router connected to another 4port router with wireless support, right? Is that overkill for me? Will the products I quoted in my original mail work?

Or if I get a wired 4port from eircom, can I then buy a wireless transimitter to plug into one of the ports?

Sorry about the newb questions, but there are two areas of computing which are a mystery to me - printers and networks.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

The gear you mentioned will work, although it's generally recommended that you use one manufacturer's gear only if possible - shouldn't be necessary, but in practice usually works out better. I'd also recommend a PCI adapter rather than a USB one e.g. this.

Just before you shell out on the wireless, though, is it definitely not a possibility to run a cable to the remote PC?

• Advertisement

Hi Tomk - thanks for the input. I was going for the usb out of convenience. It's about the same price - are they troublesome?

The wireless thing again is out of convenience. I don't want to run an ugly lan cable from one room to another, if I can avoid it.

You seem to be hinting that these decisions may have me ripping my hair out later. Is that likely?

Thanks!

Or if I get a wired 4port from eircom, can I then buy a wireless transimitter to plug into one of the ports?

It'll definitely work - the above arrangement just opens the possibility of someone accessing your network.

Good point. How does that work? Is a wireless broadcast available to all comers or is there some encryption/passwording to ensure that the casual snooper wouldn't be able to access those pictures of me in the pink tutu?

Is a wireless broadcast available to all comers
    Yes - its basically radio.
    is there some encryption/passwording
    There is - the built-in encryption with most WAP devices can easily be cracked Its not 100% secure so don't do credit card transactions from a wireless device.
    There is a way of locking it down (as of 6th Aug 2004) but you'ld need some expensive equipment, software...
    those pictures of me in the pink tutu?
    Very fetching - saw them on the web last week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Hi Tomk - thanks for the input. I was going for the usb out of convenience. It's about the same price - are they troublesome?
    I have a resistance to using USB for networking purposes - I just don't think it's robust enough. It should work, though, so if it's convenience you're after, go for it.
    The wireless thing again is out of convenience. I don't want to run an ugly lan cable from one room to another, if I can avoid it.
    Again, your choice. I wasn't sure from your first post if you had considered it, or if you were under the impression that wireless was your only option.
    You seem to be hinting that these decisions may have me ripping my hair out later.

No, just airing my opinion.

Re security, there are two things you absolutely have to do - enable WEP encryption and MAC access control. Neither are 100% secure (see above) which means that if someone is dedicated enough to sit outside your house with a laptop for a couple of hours, they will be able to crack it. But for most non-critical usage, they will do fine.

• Advertisement

Lads - what can I say? Excellent advice. Thank you so much. No doubt I'll be back to annoy ye next week, when I'm receiving Lyric FM on my wireless router.....

Let me know if ye ever want beginners guitar lessons, pro-audio advice, or a free months subscription to http://www.slightlyplumpchapinapinktutu.com

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

galactus wrote:
    I take your point here - let Eircom dish out addresses to the devices and put firewalls on the PCs.

But then don't you end up with a public IP address on your WAP?

Ehh...

The DSL router has the public IP address and a local IP address. None of the PC's on the LAN will have a public IP. NAT and all.

Advertisement