Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Background Music for Hip Hop Songs : )

• 06-08-2004 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone :)

I'm looking for some information about creating your own Background music for Hip Hop songs. A very good friend of mine is setting up her own studio. She has written her own songs but doesnt know how to go about creating her own background music. Any information at all would be very much appreciated! Websites, contacts, software, etc.....

Cheers ;)

KittyKat xXx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

you should try listening to different varieties of hiphop and... no offence, knowing what your getting into. I know alot of people that say they are into hiphop, but when you list off a song or a well known atrist they know ****! They only reason im saying this, is becasue hiphop has a wide variety of moods that can range from love, hate, happiness, sadness, lust and so on. This is why you should take into consideration other types of hiphop. Im going to sterotype here (no offence) but im guessing her music is more love/relationship stuff? cool, try something from 'the roots' they have a new album out which is absolutly amazing, but a lil jazzy.

When it comes to making your own tracks, you need to start with the basics, the beat is always the first thing, and that gets progressed from the mood od the song. The bass is second on the list as that works in conjunction with the drum beats. Then the kick or what ever you wanna call it is added with guitar/turn-tables. If it is a more mellow type of hiphop, you could always try a beatbox, bongoes (i know), drums with brushes and some weird asian instruments... hey it worked on jay-Z unplugged :S

Just know what type of hiphop your friend is getting into, becasue you cant just have a beat infront of you and sing any song to it.

Hope thats some help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

urgh, forgot to add to this..

Fruity loops is an alright tool for making hiphop tracks. I heard a great cover of mia - try again done with that, that imo sounded better than the origional :)

For a studio shed more than likely have bands in n stuff... So your gonna need pro tools. End of. Its very expencive software with hardware parts to it aswell (mixer, 22 channels?). Thats the muts nuts, and i know for a fact-metallica, foofighters, missy elliot, jayz all use pro tools for their albums....in teh case of jayz and missy - they also have a live band to make their beats for em too ;o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Maybe it's just me, and I have no experience or real knowledge about it, but surely you'd have to know about production before setting up a recording studio?

I mean what would be the point in getting all the equipment and not having a clue how to use it?

Red Ice do you mean Aaliyah - Try Again? Who's the cover by?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

My friend works as a DJ. She loves it. She wrote her own songs which i think are fantastic. They are a mixture of feelings alrite like love and hate. I just needed to know some information about creating your own background music. :)

Cheers for the help guys! ;)

Kitty xXx

Oh ya! I tink Red Ice meant Aaliyah alrite. I love her songs just wish she was still alive. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Just jack the instrumental off another record, it's a beat.

• Advertisement

Cheers Kold! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

http://www.clearance.com/ helps with copyright issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

i run a recording studio called Born Screaming Studios. Might be able to sort your friend out with some cheap rates for recording and maybe some tutoring on beat production etc

Beats, songs examples can be heard at www.audiostreet.net/egg

Thanks for all the help! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

KittyKat wrote:
    Hi Everyone :)

I'm looking for some information about creating your own Background music for Hip Hop songs. A very good friend of mine is setting up her own studio. She has written her own songs but doesnt know how to go about creating her own background music. Any information at all would be very much appreciated! Websites, contacts, software, etc.....

Cheers ;)

KittyKat xXx
    My friend works as a DJ. She loves it

And yet she doesn't know anything about "background" music as you call it?!?!

Call me naive, but surely somebody that DJs would at least know the foundations of Hip Hop? No?

Rapping started with MCs rapping over music played by a DJ on some turnatables, normally the music used was the break/instrumental bit in the middle of a song. That's were you get the term "Breakbeat" from.

But anyway, enough of the history lesson. If she DJs surely she has a big enough record collection where she could borrow somes breaks or grooves from songs or instrumentals??

B.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote:
    And yet she doesn't know anything about "background" music as you call it?!?!

Call me naive, but surely somebody that DJs would at least know the foundations of Hip Hop? No?

If she DJs surely she has a big enough record collection where she could borrow somes breaks or grooves from songs or instrumentals??

B.

Of course she knows something about background music. She was just stuck for background music to suit her songs. I just needed to find some tips to help her on her way. :)

Advertisement