Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy Poitin?

• 06-08-2004 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I distinctly remember a company started selling legal poitin several years ago, is this still available? I've tried a few offies and can't see it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Knockeen Hills is the largest producer at the moment - tame stuff though

http://www.irish-poteen.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Hackler produce it also, I bought some not too long ago, reduced in Rathmines - perhaps it was reduced because they had stopped production however. It's just pretty nasty white spirit made from potatoes - think grappa or orujo but worse. It's 40% in Hackler's case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Andip wrote:
    Knockeen Hills is the largest producer at the moment - tame stuff though

http://www.irish-poteen.com/

Thank you so much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My parents' neighbour does a good line out of blue barrels on the back of his Toyota Dyna jeep (I'm not joking, it is good stuff).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

dudara wrote:
    My parents' neighbour does a good line out of blue barrels on the back of his Toyota Dyna jeep (I'm not joking, it is good stuff).

I know of a few guys from Connemara who make their own.. purely for
    medicinal purposes of course.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

i know a fella that had an automatic distillery, he sold 10000 bottles one christmas about 5 years ago, thats £70,000 into his pocket the week before christmas, can you imagine the damage you could do with £70000 in a toy/gadget shop!

i'd say its more then 40% too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

blorg wrote:
    Hackler produce it also, I bought some not too long ago, reduced in Rathmines - perhaps it was reduced because they had stopped production however. It's just pretty nasty white spirit made from potatoes - think grappa or orujo but worse. It's 40% in Hackler's case.

Yeah this is perhaps the closest I've ever come to drinking paint stripper, a rather interestin experience too I might add. I didn't feel well the next day at all and didn't remember much about the previous night besides pulling the main circuit breaker in the house I was staying in not sure why I did that. In other words don't buy it or drink it.

Cheers
    Rory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 EbonyJones

Is legal poitin really poitin though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

It's a far inferior version to the real thing. Aroudn this part of the country it is relatively easy to get the proper stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

The only time I ever drank proper potín I pissed myself while asleep and then spent the whole next day puking. Literally puking for a whole day. It was all bloody by the end.

I'm not a fan to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The stuff they sell is produced purposely bad so it tastes "authentic". Properly made illegal spirits will be far superior to most vodkas you can buy, if properly distilled and "cut" you do not need to carbon filter the alcohol. Most commercial operations use carbon filtering as it is a more efficient use of their energy and raw material, they stay within the guidelines of methanol levels (and other nasty hangover inducing cogeners). If you make your own stuff you control how much crap is left in, it may cost twice as much, but twice fuk all is still fuk all so it is worth making properly. Proper illegal spirits can be made so pure you wont get a hangover at all, that is the actual test to see if you have made proper cuts. Made properly it is at the upper limit possible by distillation, 96%

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

DapperGent wrote:
    The only time I ever drank proper potín I pissed myself while asleep and then spent the whole next day puking. Literally puking for a whole day. It was all bloody by the end

thanks for that Dapper
    you should sell yourself as a diet that works
    won't eat for quite some time now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Make yer own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It is still the largest producer and made at three strengths, including a 180 US PROOF 90% vol. quadruple-distilled version which is Ireland's strongest spirit. I think his comment was very economical with the actualite!
    According to their site the EU banned sales above 80%.
    http://www.irish-poteen.com/main.htm

The majority of white spirits are distilled to above 90% and diluted down.

Advertisement