Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The New Prodigy Album

• 06-08-2004 12:29pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Managed to download the album there last night. From what I've heard I think they might be on to a winner. Any1 else here it? What you think. Oh btw, look out for :07 - Action Radar. Fecking deadly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

yeh had it for the last 6 weeks or so. best album theyve ever done

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Boy Gorgeous

I won a copy of it on the radio ast night - should have it by tomorrow hopefully. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Had it awhile myself, very good, def a winner for him (or are they all still together??) not sure its there best yet - I still love MFAGG.

Best track so far - Spitfire i think..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

DirtyDog wrote:
    or are they all still together??

The album is Liam Howlett solo but live Maxim and Keith Flint will perform. When's the album out officially? I'd like to listen to the album on a decent system first rather than on mp3.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

Later this month I think. Does any1 know if they've made videos for the songs they're releasing yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

popinfresh wrote:
    Later this month I think. Does any1 know if they've made videos for the songs they're releasing yet?
    http://www.xlrecordings.com/broadcast/~girls/

don't think much of the album so far tbh... i'll give it a proper listen from start to finish later

/edit
    lol, scratch that.
    just watched the video to girls and the tune has finally grown on me :p
    only took 2 months :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

tman wrote:
    http://www.xlrecordings.com/broadcast/~girls/

don't think much of the album so far tbh... i'll give it a proper listen from start to finish later

I've been listening to it on and off for a few weeks and tbh I think it is possibly the worst album from The Prodigy (well maybe with the exception of fat of the land, that was pretty poor too), for me there are no stand out tracks, it's just 12 different versions of the same song. I was excited when I heard it was supposed to a 'back to basics' Prodigy album but this is nothing like experience or MFTJG, when for me the prodigy were at their best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Its not bad, I was hoping for a return to some of the minimilist stuff though.
    Too many layers of junk in the tracks :(

Edit: only about 6 maybe 7 tracks worth of stuff there. should have mixed a few of them to cut down on the constant "keep listening" beat swiching

Kone wrote:
    I've been listening to it on and off for a few weeks and tbh I think it is possibly the worst album from The Prodigy (well maybe with the exception of fat of the land, that was pretty poor too), for me there are no stand out tracks, it's just 12 different versions of the same song. I was excited when I heard it was supposed to a 'back to basics' Prodigy album but this is nothing like experience or MFTJG, when for me the prodigy were at their best

no way man, musically and production wise its their best album to date

absolutely pristine

but then people who only listen to dance and were expecting something that was absolutely no progression for the act as a whole WILL be disappointed, frankly i dont think the prodigy care about people like that any more

Yeah, MFGG and Experience was 90s music. Personally I'd have been dissapointed had they gone back to that. What you can expect from the prodigy is a fresh new sound that no1 else has done before. They've IMO pulled it off yet again. It just takes a bit o' listening for your ears to adjust, after that it's a great album.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭GiMiC

Kone wrote:

I agree for the most part. I like three of the songs (Spitfire, Girls and Hotride), but the rest are pretty poor. I too was excited to hear that this was going to be Liam on his own again (no Flint or Maxim to **** things up), but it hasn't really lived up to the earlier stuff like Jilted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I think its brutal, im not a prodigy fan though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

bush wrote:
    I think its brutal, im not a prodigy fan though

hahahaha then why bother comment? if you dont like the prodigy you would never like his albums...

Well i liked their first album and the odd tune after that so i gave it a listen. I still think its a bad album though regardless of being a fan or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Haven't heard any of the album yet although I'll give it a few spins at some stage when I come into contact with it.... I was not a huge fan of TFOTL though so I'm not sure if I'll be too keen on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

I really liked the first four tracks since I first heard them. The rest of the album has really grown on me now. Spitfire is my fave tune on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

As I have yet to hear this album, which of the first three Prodigy albums is it most similar to if any?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

smeh... still not greatly impressed with this album.
    sounds like oxide and neutrino engineered a couple of the tracks :confused:
    /edit
    hotride is good actually... that makes 2 tracks on the album that have grown on me so far.

Giles wrote:
    As I have yet to hear this album, which of the first three Prodigy albums is it most similar to if any?

think a heavier, rawer, rockier, more aggressive, more lofi and more shouty version of fat of the land... but with much better tracks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Id say its more like jilted, cant wait for the gig!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

I havnt got a copy but that video of Girls looks absolutely terrible. And I AM a Prodigy fan. :D

Id say its more like jilted, cant wait for the gig!

how you make that out? its got absolutly none of the elecments of jilted??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I've been listeing to the album now for a week and I must say I'm pretty impressed. I love the tune "girls" and "the way it" (I'm a Michael Jackon fan)

The album grows on me.

Helix wrote:
    how you make that out? its got absolutly none of the elecments of jilted??

Ye i was way off! I actually listened to every album yesterday in proper order and they all seem to have obvious major difference's, they actually dont sound like each other at all...... one lead on to the other very well though.... Just hope they are good live?

Sean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭MunkyHed

I've been a huge fan of their stuff for years, i've banned myself from downloading any of the new stuff so i can buy the cd and listen to it start to finish on a decent sound system. No breaks between tracks and the way its sposed to sound.
    All of the prodigy albums seem to be strange when first released but they always grow on you the more you listen and the more music styles change through the years. Liam was always ahead of his time musically and i hope he doesnt disappoint us. Heard the hotride track on the radio one night and it didnt impress. Go away juliette lewis and eat something. Great actress, NOT a rockstar.

I have it @320kbps MP3 burnt to a CD and running through a Nice pair of Mission floorstanders, I Doubt the most people could tell the difference between that and the real CD.

But i will Defo buy the Album when it does come out.

Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I dunno, it seems to me that this is less a fresh, original album and more a "People I'm Influenced By" project. We have the obviously Aphex Twin-esque "Girls" (Even down to the ode to Windowlicker at the end), Basement Jaxx meet Chemical brothers in "Medusa's Path" and when I first heard "Wake Up Call", I though it was a new song by the Audio Bullys.

People talk about the production values being much higher than anything the Prodigy have released before, but is this necessarily a good thing? Liam Howlett has always been known for using "amateur" equipment and when you consider that up to FOTL, pretty much everything was done using AKIA hardware samplers and the like and that FOTL was produced using a very basic Macintosh set-up using Cubase, Howlett was obviously doing something right. The whole album sounds like it was created using GarageBand and then run through ProTools a couple of times to clean up the stereo channels. It's a lot more polished than the previous albums and doesn't have the same raw energy. That said, I like Spitfire and Memphis Bells, played nice and loud, is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Anyone got a tracklisting..

MAX REZ! ;)

• Advertisement

Ah well, it's by no means a 10 out of 10. Neither were any of the other albums for that matter. But it's still a pretty good album. A lot of prodigy fans mightn't like it because of the whole 7 year hype thing and they might feel a bit let down. But it's got a unique sound, as did all the other albums. And by the sounds of it, it's probably ahead of it's time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I've been a huge prodigy fan for years and I have to say i'm disappointed with this latest album. It is the worst Liam has released so far. It's by no means bad but I just don't like where he has gone with his sound.

Jilted to me is still the best album he has ever produced. There just isn't the variety of quality tracks on this as there has been in previous albums. You can see the progression from Experience to Jilted to fat of the land. I suppose you could see the direction he was taking the music. It's not that I wanted it to stay the same. I really liked fat of the land but the new album for me just doesn't have it. Practically every track has vocals which has never been done before. I don't mind vocals as long as they are good but a lot of them aren't.

Maybe it will grow on me but none of the previous albums had to grow on me. I instantly liked them from my first listen.

BloodBath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

i think the new one's ok being listening to it for 3 days now, not there best album but the songs will grow on ya and when they play it in the night clubs the place will be hoppin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

KilOit wrote:
    and when they play it in the night clubs the place will be hoppin
    Yep "Spitfire" nice and loud would get even me up and.....moving ;) It's def my fav of the album kicks ass but I felt a few of the tracks sounded the same apart from that I think it sounds good I like it. On the other hand this is the first album from Prodigy I got so I may not be the best judge....I'm getting MFTJG as I write so I'll see which I prefer.

Yeah Spitfire is my favourite atm as well. Girls and the way it is are good too. Still a lot of the tracks haven't grown on me though and I don't think they will either.

BloodBath

I bought this yesterday and it didn't grip me as much as the other albums when I listened to it first. I don't think it's as original as the last ones were but it's still a damn fine album (second listening added a lot to it). I really like Medusa's Path. Spitfire annoyed me the first time, the line "Because I know that I can" really bugged me.

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote:
    Practically every track has vocals which has never been done before. I don't mind vocals as long as they are good but a lot of them aren't.

Ye the vocals are brutal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Gah! In fact GAH!. It's like he just took Fuel my fire from Fat of the Land and remixed it several times. I kinda expected some rythym and maybe some basslines instead of ooooh lets pick the most annoying noise there is and loop that while laying over some bloody irritating vocals. Maybe it's just because I never really liked punk.

Spitfires alright, until that idiot starts screaming into the mike.
    Girls is like a reject from the Dirt Chamber sessions (which I loved).
    Memphis Bells might grow on me but is very random.
    Get up get off isn't bad but it's average punk rap.
    Hotride is an sub par indy rock track.
    Action Radar like Electric Six put into a broken blender and then chucked into a bath full of rusty nails (ie, pants)
    Medusa's Path - nice beat, nice layers. Least annoying song so far.
    Phoenix is about 3 seconds long and then looped a hundred or so times only broken by a backwards bit. Fúcking irritating.
    You Will Be Under My Wheels I like, but probably because it wouldn't sound out of place on Experience.
    The Way it has me humming Billy Jean's not my lover before I hit Next.
    Shoot Down - oh the angst, at least there's a nice pleasant break from Liam Gallagher every 30 seconds.

In short, I feel like I wasted 20 euros. I guess I'm too old (or young for that matter) to get into technopunk or whatever this deconstructed album is suposed to be. Climbatize will have to keep me going for another seven years :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Top class. Delighted i saw it for only €14 yesterday. Back to the best. Liam lost his way with FOTL, but this is the Jilted Generation for the noughtIES. Action Radar is the best tune.

Best part is, is that this is defo the type of album that will grow and grow on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Check out www.prodigyremixed.com
    Few quality bootleg versions of all the new tracks, very interesting indeed.

As for the actual album, I dunno, Im relistening to it now more carefully than I have done since I got it (bout a month ago) cos of this thread.
    Its growing on me a bit more now, but I didnt like it to start off with. Hated it actually. And Im a hardcore prodigy fan.

The Way it has me humming Billy Jean's not my lover before I hit Next.

It's actually Thriller, not Billy Jean.

BloodBath

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Bibliofemme

Was really looking forward to this but am totally disappointed. It's been 7 years and it sounds like it was made seven years ago - no development, no real exploration and in fact it sounds like a date parody of the Prodigy.
    Liam Howlett is capable of far better than this - we should smack 'em up for this rubbish...

it'll be interesting to see what this material is like live with Maxim and Keith there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

no way man, musically and production wise its their best album to date

absolutely pristine

???
    this album is rubbish
    it sounds like it was done in fruity loops by a talentless prodigy fan, "The Way It" is the only track i like and thats just because the thriller riff is so catchy.
    The album goes nowhere, has no stand-out tracks. I thought it was a wannabe crystal method/chemical bros style and seems very much like a "milk the burgeoning american raver scene" piece than an actual attempt at a decent album.

echomadman wrote:
    ???
    this album is rubbish
    it sounds like it was done in fruity loops by a talentless prodigy fan, "The Way It" is the only track i like and thats just because the thriller riff is so catchy.
    The album goes nowhere, has no stand-out tracks. I thought it was a wannabe crystal method/chemical bros style and seems very much like a "milk the burgeoning american raver scene" piece than an actual attempt at a decent album.

we must be listening to different albums chief

its nothing like crystal method or the chems by a long shot

it was obvious from the first time i heard it that most people werent going to "get" the album, so im not surprised a lot of people hate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

BloodBath wrote:
    It's actually Thriller, not Billy Jean.

Oh yeah, well 2 Many Dj's did a much better mix of it anyway.

Amp I just have to say you must be bordering on retardedness. Yes I know that's not a word but in your case we'll make an exception.

It's not a mix of thriller either. It samples the bassline at the start. If your going to insult the album get it right.

BloodBath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

its a piss poor album...absolute rubbish, i should of known better than to buy it after seeing them at witnness a few years ago.
    We all know what Howlett is capable of, after all he created an iconic album with "Jilted". But the simple facts are his older, settled(married) and has an appleton's influence. This combination would take new and inative ideas out of anybodys mind.
    The Prodigy are finished, I would be surprised if they(he) made another album after this, especially with the bad reviews its been getting. Leeroy jumped ship at the right time a few years back. Wise man

Piss poor effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well, I for one love the album.

I think it starts off kinda slow, but once Medusa's Path comes along, then it gets really good.

I read an interview with Liam ( this month's Q magazine, which by the way, has a really good CD with it too ) and he said it didn't take seven years to make, and that he had binned a whole nother album worth of tracks in the same vein as Baby's Got a Temper, which he didn't like.

I'm glad there's no Keith on this, I was never a fan of his lyrical style, but I am glad that Maxim will feature in the live shows. I love his lyrical style. My favourite track on Experience was Death of the Prodigy Dancer.

I think AONO is a real progression from FOTL, which was a weak album in many respects.

I am a huge Prodigy fan, and they seem to have followed my own progression through music, or is it the other way round?

Back when Experience came out, I was really in to the "Rave" scene, then I started to get in to good old rock music, which MFTJG seemed to diverge in to. By the time FOTL came out, I had a much more wide ranging interest in music, I loved Narayan the first time I heard it, and is still one of my favourite songs from that particular album. Now, seven years on, the prospect of a new Prodigy album excited me, and I am not disappointed, not by a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

empirix wrote:
    The Prodigy are finished,

yeah that's true it took a whole hour to sell out two concerts in the olympia....nobody likes them...finished...piss poor....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

well - eh, the album wasnt out, so of course it sold out and they probably always will sell out shows for the forseeable future, their just like Metallica - woeful albums but always sell out because of their old stuff.
    Without a Keith and Leeroy, those gigs will be mediocre at best.
    The prodigy died when they started to let keith sing, apart from Firestarter.
    They were woeful at Witnness a couple of years ago, not a patch on the feile gig which was outstanding, i have seen them many times live, both here and abroad and i tell you as the years go by they are slowlly rotting away.

And i stand by my comment,AONO is piss poor

• Advertisement
Advertisement