Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Help?

• 06-08-2004 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi i am trying desperately to get broadband but my eircom line keeps failing when i do the test online and when i ring them up about it, broadband is available where i live even my neighbour next door has it and we are sharing the same poll out the back of the house where the lines goes ive been on to eircom for months now to get it but my line keeps failing the test can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

skull2 wrote:
    hi i am trying desperately to get broadband but my eircom line keeps failing when i do the test online and when i ring them up about it, broadband is available where i live even my neighbour next door has it and we are sharing the same poll out the back of the house where the lines goes ive been on to eircom for months now to get it but my line keeps failing the test can anyone help?

try iol, i failed with eircom and passed with iol and now enjoy 55 KB/s downloads and pings in the low 20's (not that i game or anything) also unplug all the stuff from the line except one phone, this could cause interference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I had the same problem. It took me a long, long time but I have broadband now. If you have caller i.d. or a cordless phone with caller display unhook it. Plug in a standard phone and leave it there. Call eircom and complain about a crackle on your phone line. There is one isn't there ;) ? You may have to wait a month until their database is updated. Keep checking. If this fails you will have to become friendly with someone in the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Wobble_Wobble

There are many problems that can cause broadband to fai lteting on the line, it can be as stupid as a bad piece of copper from your pole to your house, to the fact hat your are just beyond the range of the system, which is about 2.5KM's, to something as silly as a bad junction in your house. Do as the others have sugested, but if you have any self installed extensions, remove those, try listening when on the phone to see if there are any noises you can report to eircom, cracks, beeps, or fall outs in conversations. After that there are damn all things I can suggest, but a tweety bird once told me that it eat the cable and eircom came out to fix the line for free.... but I was probably just imagining that conversation.
    :D
    WW

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yeah limiting the amount of devices is a good idea
    hehe I managed to get DSL (enjoy max of 124k/sec downloads) even though it looks like the line coming to my house will drop down at any second.

I suppose as a last chyance thing you could pull down the cable and eircom might replace it but the Gardi could get envolved in that so not a good idea and not to be promoted of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

Ya.. i've got a similar problem..my next door neighbour has broadband and i cant get it...

when i ring esat they tell me that my line ain't suitable but when i ring eircom they tell me it is.. The problem lies in the fact that i want esat bb and not eircom....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

extra phones/fax machines/sky digiboxes connected to the line can also cause you to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 skull2

i did plug out my other 5 phones in total from the atic juction box then phoned eircom to do a test they then said it failed i then got on to esat and this is what they said:

Following our conversation this evening I would like to advise you that the update that we received from Eircom was that your line had been tested again and it has failed to meet the parameters of the product.

As discussed, please find the details for com reg, if you wish to contact them.
    Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg):
    Abbey Court,
    Irish Life Centre,
    Lower Abbey Street,
    Dublin 1
    Tel: 1890 229 600
    Fax: 01 804 9680
    E-mail:consumerline@comreg.ie

IM NOT GOING TO GIVE UP AS THEIR IS AN EIRCOM POLE BY MY GARDEN OUT THE BACK AND THAT POLE IS CURRENTLY FEEDING BROADBAND TO 2 OF MY NEIGHBOUS AND MY LINE ALSO IS ON THAT POLE !

• Registered Users Posts: 3 skull2

UPDATE !!!!!

an eircom engineer came to my house friday and fixed the problem on my line he said the line is fine now and i even noticed it when i dial up i use to get 40bps to 44 bps now im getting 50.666bps, wil this do for broadband? i checked my line again online and it still fails why is it still failing and the line is fixed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

skull2 wrote:
    i checked my line again online and it still fails why is it still failing and the line is fixed?

They do a check once a month on the line so you'll have to wait until then. Best thing is to plug any other crap out of the lines apart from the phone until the next scheduled test.

I don't know how you'd find out when exactly your next test is. You'll need to pester one of the biddys in Eircom to put you through to someone that'd know.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

skull2 wrote:
    an eircom engineer came to my house friday and fixed the problem on my line he said the line is fine now and i even noticed it when i dial up i use to get 40bps to 44 bps now im getting 50.666bps, wil this do for broadband?

As nice as it would be, just because you get a faster dialup connection does not mean you can get DSL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Cabaal wrote:
    As nice as it would be, just because you get a faster dialup connection does not mean you can get DSL.
    Given that he knows that 2 of his neighbours are getting broadband, it's not unreasonable to think that. now that the line is "fixed", it might pass.

He'll just have to wait until the next round of monthly line tests on his exchange to find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

i had the exact same problem tried getting bb for over a year but was always failing, neighbour could get it, etc. rang eircom up asking why and they said it wasnt their problem even though they own the line( but that rant is for a different day)one day our phone stopped working and we got an engineer out, told me that because we had an extension cable being pinched against the floor causing the line to be earthed he said that was probably the reason why i failed and that poxy customer care should have sent someone to fix it a year before. rang them up that day as instructed by the engineer asked for a line test to be be done, got a phone call off them two days later saying i had passed annoy them til they give in

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭GAFF

I got a phone line in recently, and got a loan of a telephone to use with it. Its quite hard to hear when on the phone, if the phone wasn't 100% could this also cause the broadband line test to fail ?

FAO skull2, How did you end up getting the engineer to come out ?

Advertisement