Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a server

Options
  • 06-08-2004 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭

Guys I know this may be a complete no brainer for some of you but advice is needed.
    I have a spare server atm and would like to set up a dedicated battlefield server.
    What is the best to run a server under Linux or windows?
    The rough specs are quad xeon processors and 4gb ram. Plenty of hard drive space.
    Can I run 1942, vietnam, Desert Combat and pirates all off the same box?
    I know bandwidth could be an issue but I can address that at a later date (possibly 2mb dsl dedicated).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Tip

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Either OS is fine, we use linux but thats mainly cos we're cheap :)
    Windows may actually have the advantage since it can take a while for linux updates to arrive for the servers while windows one come with the client patches. Also it must be said that linux implementations of the BF* servers have had issues. I'm sure you'll hear the usual clap trap about linux boxes been more secure etc, but with a little bit knowhow a windows box can be secured quite easily.

As for the spec's you should be easily able to run those, although bandwidth will be the main limit.

So in total I say go windows, watch the player count (and trottle the connections) and you'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

Thanks for that rev.

The hardeneing of the windows box isnt an issue.
    I might make a start on it over the weekend and let you know how I get on.

Regards,
    Tip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://www.blackbagops.com/

Check out that website ,has everything you need to know and some programs for remote admin.

kdajc

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭f1refox

What is the min net connection you can use to run a server

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Minimum(2N+1) * 32kbit

Where N== Max number of players.
    It's 2N because you need ~32kbit for the remote administration connection and each client playing on the server should have 64kbit minimum (hence 2*32kbit)
    Ideally 128K upload per client + 128k for the administration side to keep things smooth and especially if you have multiple admins ont he server.
    I haven't mentioned spectators yet either.

30 player server == 2Mbit synchronous line (2meg up and down). Possibly more download for when you're downloading patches etc.
    Around 10Mbit would be sufficient for ~24players at on 512/128k ADSL line.

but that's overkill for most.
    You can set min/max bandwidth limits for clients too, so that you don't over-run your upload/download (excluding dos attacks etc.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement