Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunday 8th(kk)

• 06-08-2004 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Best of luck Kilkenny!!! Ye can do it just two more steps and we have it in the bag. Plllleeeaaassse win otherwise il have to put up with the waterford ppl i work with. I cant be put through that, i had enough in the league. Cmon the cats get yer title back as "supercats". I think we should all have a decade of the rosary

Hail Coady full of skill,
    thy carey is with thee,
    Blessed are those who are on the team
    And blessed are the fans who scream,
    Holy Coady, father of hurling pray for us now until the end of the championship.
    Amen

UP THE BLACK AND AMBER

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Sure haven't ye enough All-Irelands? Wouldn't it be nicer if you won one having not done so for about 20 years or more! Get working on your footballers and see can they restore the good times they had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Is that what the dubs are doing? building up a sense of anticipation?

Kilkenny have had their glory days in football. Not a lot of people realise that they won the first ever Leisnter Senior Football Championship. While they have only won 3 and not since 1911, that means there are 10 counties with less provincial titles than they have and all of them play in the championship. Some of those won their lst provincial title before 1911. If they can still compete there is no reason why Kilkenny couldn't. It doesn't have to take anything away from their Hurling. The people of Kilkenny would come out to welcome the Delaney and Maguire cups just as much as they would their hurling triumphs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Flukey wrote:
    Get working on your footballers and see can they restore the good times they had.

Ex Wexford boss Liam Griffin made a strange quote about this on todayfm.
    "They don't need to play football. Nick Faldo doesn't play tennis does he"

In a roundabout way it probably means that it is not possible anymore to compete in the top at both games. He's right.

Having watched football games prior to the 2003 u-21 all ireland & last week in Thurles I'm glad we dont.

You can keep Sam we just want Liam one of the few McCarthy's with a Kilkenny accent. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Devilman

Maybe after September he'll have a Wexford accent

not bloody likely

• Advertisement

...or a Waterford one.

Kat, I don't buy that. Kilkenny has a glut of hurling talent that'll never get near the panel. Even DJ himself is meant to be a good footballer and a good golfer too. Nick Faldo doesn't play tennis, but there are others that can. DJ doesn't have to play football for Kilkenny, but there are others that can. There is no reason why they couldn't make the effort in football and if they did there is no reason why hurling would suffer. The Liam McCarthy Cup could still be in Kilkenny (on it's way to Waterford) :)

Flukey wrote:
    ...or a Waterford one.

The Liam McCarthy Cup could still be in Kilkenny (on it's way to Waterford) :)

Reply.And pigs could fly over Croker - but they won't :D

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

It might get to waterford, that part of it that is in Co. Kilkenny anyway...

Mucho looking forward to Sunday.. had 2 premium level tickets and all but have to work... I'll get to see it on tv at least...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Well the Cats are using up their lives this year .... how many have they left ... this Waterford man would be delighted to see Shefflin (best hurler in the country) in his full health on Monday with the rest of the year off ;-)

It's all about the Deise backline and if Flynn can get going. Will be close but I have to hope that KK are KnacKered after getting rid of Clare. A nice big pitch to run around and now that we have a fitness trainer in, the Deise might just have the legs in the final 15 minutes if it is still close

jolly

Hi Jolly
    If Waterford were playing any1 else except ourselves most of Kilkenny would be supporting them. The adition of Fitzpatrick & our own Nicky Cashin has certainly improved them.
    Will be close one that's for sure. Just feel our experience & possible history in the making will pull us true. Enjoy the game anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

I'd love to see Maguire coming here for the 1st time but I guess we will just have to make do with McCarthy coming home for the 29th time on September 12th 2004 at 6pm approx. :)

Well after yesterday, anything can happen. Waterford would not be as big an outsider as yesterday's two winners. It has started raining and the wind is getting up here in Dublin, which won't help either team. I think I should be dry enough, up on the top of the Hogan Stand and hopefully I will come away as happy as I did yesterday and hopefully the All-Ireland Champions will be knocked out today too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Not a particularly convincing performance by Kilkenny, but they're through anyway.

Woohoo!

They seemed quite fatigued towards the end of the 70minutes. The past two weeks took a lot out of 'em. It just goes to show the drive and character of the team.

Comiserations to Waterford they never backed down and all credit to them they put it up to Kilkenny when other teams might have looked at the scoreboard and given up. Perhaps the six week break wasn't as advantagous as was thought.

Best of luck to Kilkenny in the All-Ireland.

Now I've to wait and see how the Slaney Siders do...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

look like it could be a repeat of cork and the cats in the final

Great game, disappointing result. Kilkenny's defence won it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

The Defence plus Sheff(God)

Well we have to pin our hopes on Wexford now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Why would we want to play football? Football is crap. Hurling is where it's at.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

G'wan! Never seen so many high balls caught under pressure before.
    Great sporting contest, pity I couldn't be there but roll on September...

SheronN, football is not crap as well you know. It is much more widely played than Hurling. 31 of the 32 counties field a team in the Senior Football Championship and we all know who the odd one out is. Draw a line from Dublin to Galway and with the exception of a few small pockets, there is hardly any Hurling played beyond that. In the same way that Kilkenny should be promoting football, there is even a greater need to promote Hurling in those areas.

Why should Kilkenny promote football? Lots of reasons. To renew their tradition - they were the first Leinster Champions. They hold more provincial senior football titles than All-Ireland semi-finalists Fermanagh and current Leinster Champions Westmeath, as well as 8 other counties. Promoting football would not in anyway take away from their Hurling strength and in fact would enable even more people to wear the black and amber than currently can do. There are football teams in Kilkenny and there would not be one lad on any of those teams that would not love to win a medal for his county in football. If counties like Fermanagh and Westmeath can do it, so can Kilkenny.

• Advertisement

Flukey wrote:
    SheronN, football is not crap as well you know. It is much more widely played than Hurling. 31 of the 32 counties field a team in the Senior Football Championship and we all know who the odd one out is.

95% of Kilkenny people including clubs have no interest in the round ball game. Getting our senior camogie team back up to where they were in 1980's & early 90's is bigger priority to us.

The other 31 counties are welcome to it. We're hurlers full stop. :D

Well the 5% that do is way more than large enough to field the required 15 players, build a panel and have others outside it, so there is no excuse. With a bit if success, they would get mroe support. There is The Kilkenny county board should be made to promote it and equally the non-hurling counties should be made to promote Hurling. It is up to them to create the interest. There are plenty of kids in those counties that look to the DJ Carey's of this world and you can be sure there were plenty of people in Kilkenny watching Saturday afternoon's two games. I've seen and spoken to Kilkenny fellas wearing Kilkenny shirts going into Gaelic football matches in Croke Park and they had the same level of interest as anyone else that was there.

Flukey wrote:
    Well the 5% that do is way more than large enough to field the required 15 players, build a panel and have others outside it, so there is no excuse. I've seen and spoken to Kilkenny fellas wearing Kilkenny shirts going into Gaelic football matches in Croke Park and they had the same level of interest as anyone else that was there.

When we did compete think at a league game in Longford the 50 year old bus driver played on goal & we were still a man short.
    Better as we are than disgracing the county.
    Watching it played properly is different. I went to several games in Croker including All Irelands.
    The anti football stuff I Heard in Thurles last Saturday week when All Ireland junior final on was unreal. :D

They were playing a lot less than 50 years ago and I can remember more than one occasion in which they won League matches, before they pulled out, which they should not have been allowed to do. Neighbours Waterford haven't won a Munster title since 1898 but they are still plugging on with the game and getting a bit of success now with their junior and other teams.
    Better as we are than disgracing the county.

If some young hurler in Kilkenny said something like that about his team, he'd probably get a belt on the back of the head with a hurley and would be told to go out and do better. That could be done with the footballers. A defeatist attitude from Kilkenny in regards to GAA is not what you'd expect. Kilkenny would not be in the All-Ireland Final this year if they had that sort of attitude after losing to Wexford.

Again all true Flukey.

I see this in today's paper

AN impressive Clare side ran out easy winners over Louth at Parnell Park on Saturday to advance to the Tommy Murphy Cup final in front of a paltry attendance of 70.

Can't see us spending money to compete at this level before crowds of 70.

Better to promote under 12 hurling squads would be the view held in Kilkenny.

They can do both, is all I am saying. Not every until 12 wants or is good enough to play Hurling, but they might make good footballers. They deserve at least to be given that opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭country_gurl

wooooooooooo wooooooooooooooo woooooooooo i cant believe it they won(and i was dry). Hopefully the treble is on its way. ohhh what a beautiful morning it is at work in waterford. (though im not gloating to anyone just keeping my head down... I'll wait til tomorrow when the wounds have healed a bit)

Advertisement