Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paypal and Irish accounts

Options
  • 06-08-2004 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭

Paypal have finally added support for Irish bank accounts, so you can now add accounts to your profile and transfer funds to your bank.
    The cost is €1 for a transfer and they say it should take between 5 and 7 days.
    There is a €3 fee if the transfer is rejected by the bank.

I've added an account to our paypal profile and have initiated a test transfer to see what happens :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

I guess with ebay/paypal now based in Ireland, they had to do it so their own staff could use it :):)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I guess with ebay/paypal now based in Ireland, they had to do it so their own staff could use it :):)
    Took them long enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

This will be awesome for helping to getting young irish webmasters selling online for the firsr time - letting them get their feet wet easily at first. Good job paypal (finally).

And small irish businesses will now have an alternative to the merchant account route, who knows the banks might try to compete a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Let me add to the about feckin' time replies :D

Now maybe I can get rid of some of the junk I've accumulated on ebay!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

nahdoic wrote:
    This will be awesome for helping to getting young irish webmasters selling online for the firsr time - letting them get their feet wet easily at first. Good job paypal (finally).

And small irish businesses will now have an alternative to the merchant account route, who knows the banks might try to compete a bit more.

I agree 100%. Well done PayPal. An excellent way for collecting small amounts of revenue eg for selling advertising on sites.

Irish banks minimum requirements are practically prohibitive for start-ups. I'm a long term customer of a major Irish bank, have an excellent credit history and they were only interested in providing me with a merchant account if I was going to sell 130 - 180K online in year one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ooh. Only started using Paypal recently. I'm impressed. That's very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Henri wrote:
    Irish banks minimum requirements are practically prohibitive for start-ups. I'm a long term customer of a major Irish bank, have an excellent credit history and they were only interested in providing me with a merchant account if I was going to sell 130 - 180K online in year one.

Sounds like AIB - luckily there are other banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Is it possible to SEND money from your bank to your Paypal account?
    Or can you put money in via LASER?

I don't have/want a credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is it possible to SEND money from your bank to your Paypal account?
    Or can you put money in via LASER?

I don't have/want a credit card.
    Why would you need to do that? Set it up with your bank account, and when you make a payment, it withdraws it directly from your bank account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

seamus wrote:
    Why would you need to do that? Set it up with your bank account, and when you make a payment, it withdraws it directly from your bank account?

Aah, i see. Up top Blackknight said you could transfer funds TO your bank, i didn't know it worked the other way.

woohoo! an incentive for a student to get a job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Thanks for the heads up Blacknight. Paysystems closed all their IBA merchant accounts and I thought I was royally screwed - but I managed to transfer cc processing to paypal quickly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yes!!!! finally!!! i'm so happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dcm

that's aloada bull you can't even add bank account funds?? :(

..its sh!T! ...wanted to add funds but can't...like what the point then. But we'll give them a chance. maybe they are developing that system as we speak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

For ebay to be abke to take money from your bank account would require them to have you set up for a direct debit.

ie: its never going to happen.

At best they will send money -to- your account, not the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

My test transaction went through last night. It took less than the 5 working days that they promised, so I am very happy.

Webmonkey et al:
    Would you ever stop whining. Paypal is now allowing people to withdraw to Irish bank accounts and this is a positive thing. Maybe they will offer the opportunity to add funds at a later date, maybe they won't. For most of us the important issue is being able to receive funds via paypal while we can always make payments using our credit cards etc.

blacknight wrote:
    Webmonkey et al:
    Would you ever stop whining. Paypal is now allowing people to withdraw to Irish bank accounts and this is a positive thing. Maybe they will offer the opportunity to add funds at a later date, maybe they won't. For most of us the important issue is being able to receive funds via paypal while we can always make payments using our credit cards etc.

Yeah not to worry i getting a credit card in a few days....Was all hyped up about this and then i discover i couldn't add funds.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I have a question please...

For ages now I have recieved payments through paypal for stuff I have sold on ebay. no charges. but today I was prompted to either upgrade my account to accept a payment or else deny it. This was becaus eit was a credit card funded payment. The cost of accepting any payment now is 3.5% plus 35cent. About 90cent on a 15 dollar payment. Bit pissed about this. I think it was because it was my first uk customer. and hence credit card funded. The rest of my customers were from the USA and most likley bank account funded transactions. Hence no charge. You need to pay a charge on every paynment to have the ability to accept credit card payments. sucks a bit. I might just not offer shipping to the UK and stick with US ONLY customers.

What was the question????

blacknight wrote:
    What was the question????

I guess it was kinda, Does anyone els epay this extra charge top recieve payments, and do you think its worth it?
    NEarly all US customers are account funded, so you can avoid it by just shipping to us customers. What really p#sses me off is you need to pay it on all transactions once you become a permier member. Whether the transaction is credit card or accoutnf unded you pay the fee. Is that correct? Or is it just credit card payments?

• Advertisement

Yes we pay it
    The PayPal rates per transaction are comparable with those offered by other 3rd party processors, so we are more than happy to pay them.
    Unlike other 3rd party solutions the cost of transferring funds to our bank account is a lot lower, so we actually save money compared to using paysystems or 2checkout.

blacknight wrote:
    Yes we pay it
    The PayPal rates per transaction are comparable with those offered by other 3rd party processors, so we are more than happy to pay them.
    Unlike other 3rd party solutions the cost of transferring funds to our bank account is a lot lower, so we actually save money compared to using paysystems or 2checkout.

thanks blacknight. I wasn't sure if other processors charged similar. Or if yuo thought these fees were cheap etc.

They are fine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Paysystems used to send out euro cheques from an english bank so it would cost €4 or €5 to cash them. Paypal only charge €1 to deposit to your account. Hopefully BOI don't have any charges for receiving this deposit. Wishful thinking I know ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Swings and roundabouts. If you accept credit card payments, it increases your potential buyers.
    The charge for accepting them is rather small.

Advertisement