Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mardyke vs silver springs gyms in cork

Options
  • 06-08-2004 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

anyone have experience of both?
    I am thinking of changing, for convenience, from mardyke to silver springs...
    I was happy enough with the mardyke, despite some admin issues i'd have with them... (esp regarding FitLynx system maintenance) but it's too far away from me for me to go regularly as I don't drive...
    any feedbck from anyone?
    Cheers...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I haven't been a member of either of those but can recommend leeside leisure at the metropole - nice set up and never too busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

As a member of Leeside Leisure I think I have earned a right to say avoid it if possible. I go there because it is very close to my school and is thus oh so convieniant however I have many niggles with teh place.

Firstly, you need not bring togs to go to the sauna. Merely step inside the changing rooms and you will experiance heat close to Gas Mark 5. Its not that they don't have AC, its just they never bother to turn on the AC even when you complain about it. The shower area is some times not clean which is off putting aswell. Also there are no doors on the shower so modesty went out the window.

Now on to the equipment itself. Only recently have they installed new treadmills. Up until then though one could expect 2 out of the 5 treadmills to be broken each session although thankfully now they are all working.
    There are 2 rowing machines, however the screens on these are broken so you its very hard to make out how hard you haev worked. They used to replace the screens when they broke but now they just don't bother.
    There are 5 bike machines and 4 stepper machines. Very few problems with those. 2 Cross trainers and a small stretching/sit-up area is also inside the room.
    This gym does not really cater for those that do weights workouts. There are only 2 benches and the dumbbells only go up to 27.5Kg. There are a good lot of machines but no preacher curl. The machines are always working though.
    The Chin-up bar is pretty much just a horizontal bar with tennis-grip tape wrapped around it. DIY it certainly is :)

The pool is nice to look at certainly, but it is only like 20 metres long and has only a tiny section for lane swimmers.

That pretty much covers Leeside Leisure but if you have any more questions just fire away.

Okay, so no to Leeside ;)

What other gyms are around cork. I am moving there soon and would be interested in joining one. Preferably gyms which don't cost too much and in maybe the city centre or near / around the Blackrock area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Corksham

I am a memeber of the Mardkye and tis a grand ole gym. Plenty of cardio equipment, loads of machines and lots of free weights upstairs so caters for most / all.
    There is a pool and sauna as well. Overall i think tis a grand ole gym with plenty of eye candt to boot!

http://www.mardykearena.com

Only way to find out is to go along to both and decide for yourself

Okay, so no to Leeside ;)

What other gyms are around cork. I am moving there soon and would be interested in joining one. Preferably gyms which don't cost too much and in maybe the city centre or near / around the Blackrock area.

Fitton street in the city for weight lifting, there riversedge, the metropole (fine venue) also in the city. No gym as such in blackrock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Oh ya i forgot about that one, they have limited membership though I think? Didnt know there was one going up by the city hall, nice one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Its the one across the river next to Jurys Inn basically. The new hotel development will have a fitness center or so i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

anyone have experience of both?
    I am thinking of changing, for convenience, from mardyke to silver springs...
    I was happy enough with the mardyke, despite some admin issues i'd have with them... (esp regarding FitLynx system maintenance) but it's too far away from me for me to go regularly as I don't drive...
    any feedbck from anyone?
    Cheers...

Hmmm if you're living in the Mayfield Area, then there's the Riverview Gym up by Mayfield GAA pitches or else the gym in Mayfield Sports Centre (by Mayfield Community School). Riverview Gym is membership only (you can get 6 casual sessions for €30 or 12 for €50. I assume they'll show you around for free), you can go in as guest to the one in Mayfield Sports Centre. Also the one in Mayfield Sports Centre has a swimming pool. I'm with Riverview Gym at the moment because it's very close to me until I go back to college where I'm joining Mardyke because it's much cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

What is your requirement? Weights or cardio?
    Hardcore is as the name suggests a good spit N sawdust gym!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭tylerdurden

Thanks everyone,
    Sorry for delay in responding... been away...

I have decided to join the one up by Silver Springs.
    I was in the Mardyke previously and I liked it but I moved so it was pretty inconvenient. I like the FitLynx system in there, helps me see what I am achieving. Or not achieving as the case is mostly.

I went up to check out the one by Silver SPrings and at first I thought it was crazy because it is much smaller and has no computerised system, which means more motivation required on the part of your truly. Not my strong point when it comes to the gym.
    On top of that it will cost me more to be a member.

However I spoke to the membership manager and she talked me into it!!

It is smaller, but then not as busy either so I shouldn't have to queue for machines... also because it's closer to me I might actually go which is the big selling point for me.

Anyway, I'll try to remember to let you know how it goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

Was she 'fit'?
    Convenience is the key and being a member of a crappy gym and going regularly is better than being a member of the best gym in town and not going.

Advertisement