Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I buy a diesel car

Options
  • 06-08-2004 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

hope to buy a car soon...

for purely econimocal reasons i was thinking of going diesel...now i've driven them before and i know they're not as powerful as petrol, but with the price of petrol nowadays....

just wondering what people think about diesel cars....and what are turbo diesel's like for power accelaration etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

IMHO diesel is the way forward,
    like you said,petrol prices on the rise n all that diesel is still the cheaper which means that extra bit of cash in your pocket.
    As performance wise,try driving a skoda octavia turbo diesel,very nice and very quick:D,
    Plus with technology these days diesel's dont sound as bad as they used to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

The E320 cdi is faster(0-60mph) than the E320

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They used to be noisy and low-powered. But there's a new fuel injection technology for diesel engines that can match the performance of a petrol engine. Just don't let Mrs. Doyle near your car :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Modern diesels are great, and if you can get a turbo charged engine you're in business. One thing worth mentioning on the cost is that the motor tax you pay in terms of the power of your engine is higher than a petrol (a 1.9 diesel might put out the same bhp as a 1.6 petrol but with significantly higher tax). Still you're saving on every trip to the pump.

What kind of diesel are you thinking of? I used to have 1.9 Golf, but I'd also recommend the Audi TDi's. They're very smooth and lots of poke. You may have trouble finding them reasonably priced second hand - assuming you're not going for a new one, but they do hold their value well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

aodh_rua wrote:
    What kind of diesel are you thinking of? I used to have 1.9 Golf, but I'd also recommend the Audi TDi's

i really dont know...not much of a car person.. i'd be going for second hand of course ( who buys new? )

looking on www.buyandsell.ie saw a few turbo diesel mondeo's, always liked mondeo's..hmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good points - economy, longer-lasting, quicker overtaking, better re-sale price.

Bad points - More road tax, higher purchase price (typically 15-20% new)

Other point - lastest diesels are nearly as festooned with engine managment
    systems as petrol engines so the old days of "turn, wait and start" everytime are no more.

Dont buy a Mondeo TD unless its the latest engine.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Diesels have come a log way in the last decade, thank god. Like with buying any car give it a good test drive before buying, some diesels are way better than others.

Many years ago I had a 1989 Isuzu Gemini 1.5 non-turbo diesel for a short while, quite possibly the slowest car ever made. I timed the 0-60 at 48 seconds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Like the other posters said, diesel is the way to go, and I'd expect to buy diesel next time I change. As you're going second hand, I'd go as new as possible as the engine technology is getting better and better at a remarkable pace, in particular the common rail diesel engines. The engine in the new 530d BMW will accelerate from 50-75mph nearly 2 seconds faster than the 530i petrol, due to the massive torque available. As someone recommended already, one of the TDi Audis is a good buy, but expect to pay well. I was talking to an Audi dealer a while back about them and he mentioned having a year old A4 coming in as a trade in (one of the 1.9TDi's) the week after and there were three guys badgering him on the phone about being the first to see it. Another good buy might be one of the TDi Passats.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

talking to my dad the other day and he says he fills his 01 VW passat for 50 euros and gets 500 miles to the tank (it's urban miles too).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Bad points of diesels:

Recommended service intervals on diesels tend to be shorter. Eg the new Peugeot 407 petrol needs a service every 20,000 miles, while the diesel needs one every 10,000 IIRC.

Most modern diesels have turbos which is another thing to go wrong. They don't last forever and can wear out at high mileages or fail prematurely at lower mileages. I have heard of a few cases where this has happened.

One potential problem which may not be obvious - because of the greater torque and pulling power that diesels have, many will have been used as "tractors" i.e. used for towing heavy trailers, caravans, boats etc. This can take its toll on clutches, suspension, brakes etc. Bear this in mind when buying secondhand.

Similarly, many diesel owners have the idea that diesel cars are "unburstable" or "bulletproof" so they drive the sh1te out of them and neglect servicing. Diesels do tend to be long lasting, but abuse can still take its toll.

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Most of what the other posters have said is true, in summary diesels have gotten better, don't buy an old Mondeo TD, they are more economical etc. However diesel was developed for use providing a high torque fuel for trains and IMHO that is what it should be reserved for. And tractors, I forgot those. Yes, I know the BMW 530 and all that, but in general they are still smelly, noisy and heavy. You add that you are not a car person, and with that in mind you should choose even more carefully - you neglect to say whether you intend crossing the 20k.m.p.a threshold at which the cost of diesel negates the extra service/purchase price differential - if all you want is a runabout, buy a suitable mid-size petrol car, keep it serviced and you won't have to stand over at the smelly black leper-pump with the van drivers...

'ceptr

Go on, flame me now, I'm ready...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

BrianD3 wrote:

One potential problem which may not be obvious - because of the greater torque and pulling power that diesels have, many will have been used as "tractors" i.e. used for towing heavy trailers, caravans, boats etc. This can take its toll on clutches, suspension, brakes etc. Bear this in mind when buying secondhand.

Never buy a car with a towbar. Although some of the sneaky buggers have them removed to hide the fact they have been hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

impr0v wrote:
    Like the other posters said, diesel is the way to go, and I'd expect to buy diesel next time I change. As you're going second hand, I'd go as new as possible as the engine technology is getting better and better at a remarkable pace, in particular the common rail diesel engines. The engine in the new 530d BMW will accelerate from 50-75mph nearly 2 seconds faster than the 530i petrol, due to the massive torque available. As someone recommended already, one of the TDi Audis is a good buy, but expect to pay well. I was talking to an Audi dealer a while back about them and he mentioned having a year old A4 coming in as a trade in (one of the 1.9TDi's) the week after and there were three guys badgering him on the phone about being the first to see it. Another good buy might be one of the TDi Passats.

The VW and Audi TDi's are the same engine so the Passat is well worth checking out, and I suppose Skoda's too. That said you haven't mentioned a price range, except that you like the Mondeo. That may mean some of the cars suggested (the 530d say) are beyond your range.

Last thing - if you'd rather go for a dealer rather than buy and sell check out www.carzone.ie . It's got a pretty up to date list of what second hand machines the dealers currently have on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mike65 wrote:
    Bad points - More road tax

Not on recent cars. Nowadays you get the same BHP per liter of engine capacity in a diesel compared to a petrol. Examples mentioned above are the merc E320, bmw 530 and also VAG 1.9 and 2.0 Diesels
    John R wrote:
    Diesels have come a log way in the last decade

More like in the last 0 - 5 years. Breakthrough perhaps with 530d in 1999? Somebody might post another candidate to win the competition. Another contender must be the Alfa JTD range that is superb :)

It's only this year that manufacturers like Honda and Jaguar use their first diesel ever :eek:
    impr0v wrote:
    I'd expect to buy diesel next time I change

I was hoping to go that route myself when changing last February, but it proved to be economical nonsense for me. Maybe next time :)

Example. Let's say you buy a second hand car and the price difference between two equally powerful same size engined cars is €2k. You do 10000 miles per annum and petrol costs €0.99 and diesel €0.91. Say the diesel will give you 50 mpg and the petrol 35 mpg and presuming insurance, maintenance and road tax are the same. Then it will take you more than 5 years to recuperate the €2k difference :eek: :eek: :eek:

Economical nonsense as was the fact in my case...

Different ballgame at 30k miles per annum, it will take less than 2 years

Moral of the story is:
    if all you want is a runabout, buy a suitable mid-size petrol car

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

unkel wrote:
    More like in the last 0 - 5 years. Breakthrough perhaps with 530d in 1999? Somebody might post another candidate to win the competition. Another contender must be the Alfa JTD range that is superb :)
    At the other end of the spectrum, there's the smaller capacity diesels that have become available recently. Eg the Ford/PSA 1.4, the 1.6 and the Renault 1.5. These are a big breakthrough because they are more economical and less taxed than larger capacity diesels yet power output is fairly comparable to a petrol engine of the same size.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Have you tought off the new toyota prius 65mpg auto climate control 7" touch screen all for 28500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It's only this year that manufacturers like Honda and Jaguar use their first diesel ever :eek:

Remember those ads Honda used to run about which car killed diesel?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

just to add to the "possible" fault list
    Diesel injectors..... easily breakable.....extremely expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I recently changed to diesel and bought me a citroen xsara 1.9 turbo diesel and its one of the fastest cars i've driven in a while I have topped mine at about 130mph (gps verified) the only mod being a superchip plus its a lot more economical than petrol I'll never go back. Incidently I'm in the process of buying a gt tdi golf which has the same rating as a petrol gti golf and supposedly that bit faster.....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Have you tought off the new toyota prius 65mpg auto climate control 7" touch screen all for 28500
    brilliant idea except it is a prius!
    http://www.jsonline.com/wheels/peak/autoshow2001/prius.jpg
    http://www.ott.doe.gov/hev/images/prius.jpg
    http://www.part.cz/images/auto-moto/vize36_toyota_prius_8t.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Ya can't beat a diesel (TDi)... not even with a big stick!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Yes you can beat diesel with a stick and if diesel is an evolutionary step for automotive development, it is a backward one. The next obvious step after diesel is turf - you have to light it the day before you want to use it, the gov'mt subsidises the industry that fuels it and it smells like your house burning down.

'ceptr

dugga-da-dugga-da-dugga-da-dugga. dug. dug. dug....

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

John R wrote:
    Never buy a car with a towbar. Although some of the sneaky buggers have them removed to hide the fact they have been hammered.

On a different note, the reason somebody might chose to fit a towbar is to save the car in the event of being rear-ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

On a different note, the reason somebody might chose to fit a towbar is to save the car in the event of being rear-ended.

Saved my rear in more than one occasion, i always put on on my cars, never know when i might need to tow the bike trailer.

I had a few diesel cars in my time and will buy one the next time.

The price of diesel down in my local pump is only 86.9p where as petrol in the same station is 96.9! even if you only got the same mpg out of the diesel car as the equivalent petrol you'd still be saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

As regards diesel cars being slow the SEAT Ibiza Cupra TDI(160) is quicker than a Porsche 911 GT3 in third, fourth and fifth gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

fletch wrote:
    the SEAT Ibiza Cupra TDI(160) is quicker than a Porsche 911 GT3 in third, fourth and fifth gears.

Modern diesels have a lot of torque but where do you get those figures? Do you mean 30-70 mph acceleration?

Sure enough the Ibiza has only 40NM less torque than the cheapest Porsche 911 but I doubt it would be quicker in the 30-70mph test

0-62 takes 5.0 seconds in the Porsche and 7.6 seconds in the Ibiza. Top speed is over 40mph more in the Porsche

I'd put my money on the Porsche in a race to find who's quicker round the Nordschleife ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

unkel wrote:
    Modern diesels have a lot of torque but where do you get those figures? Do you mean 30-70 mph acceleration?

Sure enough the Ibiza has only 40NM less torque than the cheapest Porsche 911 but I doubt it would be quicker in the 30-70mph test

0-62 takes 5.0 seconds in the Porsche and 7.6 seconds in the Ibiza. Top speed is over 40mph more in the Porsche

I'd put my money on the Porsche in a race to find who's quicker round the Nordschleife ;)

I got those figures from AutoExpress magazine. If the two where in a race there is not doubt that the Porsche would win. The figures compare their in gear figures however if the Porsche were allowed to drop a gear then it would no doubt sear away from the Ibiza as the Porsches power is available at a higher rev.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

I recently changed to diesel and bought me a citroen xsara 1.9 turbo diesel and its one of the fastest cars i've driven in a while I have topped mine at about 130mph (gps verified) the only mod being a superchip plus its a lot more economical than petrol I'll never go back. Incidently I'm in the process of buying a gt tdi golf which has the same rating as a petrol gti golf and supposedly that bit faster.....

I know a guy who owns one of those golfs and it is indeed quicker than the petrol....he tested this shortly after he got it....all in the interest of science you understand....

I myself have a tdi golf and it's a great car to go....very economical....thing is that unless you're doing big mileage there's very little point as the extra costs outweigh the savings....unless you're like me and don't pay full price for diesel....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

These hybrids are excellent at producing consumption figures on the rolling roads used by EU and US authorities to calculate official consumption figures but many customers have found it difficult to come anything close to 50mpg never mind 65.

Advertisement