Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New EU member state workers flock to Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

This increase in people coming from the EU new accession countries is a good thing. I can remember a few months ago, there was a programme on RTE about the shortage of workers, if we dont have enough highly educated workers then companies will have to simply move. It keeps wage increases down, which can only be a good thing since who wants inflation to keep rising. Also, a little cultural diversificiation will do the country no harm if the new workers are from sound countries.

Some yes. But they must remain a minority. Otherwise, we could be faced with a new "Unionist" minority demanding a second partition on ethnic lines. With 6% of the population identifying themselves as "not Irish" on the Census form in 2002, it is clear that the ability of the immigrants to assimilate is open to question.
    If there are bannings to be issued here- I sincerely think the promotion of racism and xenophobia warrants a ban over and above any of the other contributions that have been made to this thread.

So anyone who wants to restrict immigration into Ireland is a "xenophobe" are they? The 80% who voted for the Citizenship-referendum are "xenophobes" are they? The exit-poll of those who voted Yes clearly showed that there is MASSIVE unease in this country at the pace of the change in the ethnic-makeup of the population. That is NOT racist. It is CONCERN. We bear NO ill-will towards other nations, but we are entitled to put our own interests first.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

So anyone who wants to restrict immigration into Ireland is a "xenophobe" are they? The 80% who voted for the Citizenship-referendum are "xenophobes" are they? The exit-poll of those who voted Yes clearly showed that there is MASSIVE unease in this country at the pace of the change in the ethnic-makeup of the population. That is NOT racist. It is CONCERN. We bear NO ill-will towards other nations, but we are entitled to put our own interests first.

You are delibertly twisting what I said- What I said was-
    smccarrick wrote:
    I have absolutely no issues whatsoever with increased immigration into the country (despite your dispicable interpretation of the meaning of my vote in the citizenship referendum). .

I do not see how you can interpret that as stating that anyone who voted in favour of the ammending the constitution was guilty of xenophobia- I quite plainly stated that I voted in favour of changing the constitution, and I despise your assertion that this is a vote to limit the rights of the new ascession states to work here and I certainly do not subscribe to the insular theories you are proporting.

Please read what I actually write....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

I've just come back from one of my hard earned, hard worked fair paid contracts :D I haven't had time to answer all the stuff here and I thought I was on a different thread there for a moment..BUT my overall points were:

I'm in favour of controlled accession state immigration like the rest of the EU where the market needs it.
    I'm not in favour of Uncontrolled immigration whereby only big business and no one else benefits.

All the hype and hot air about construction workers ripping people off is OT. Compared to most other sectors, although I'm biased.. I'd say euro for euro its money hard earned. I gave construction and the service industry as one example I'm familiar with. Uncontrolled immigration if not capped at the desired level will have an effect right across the board. Admittedly these industries are only the first to be hit, but I think in a short space of time you could have a situation where a large proportion of the population will be chasing to few jobs in all sectors and driving the standard of living down. IN A CONTROLLED IMMIGRATION ENVIRONMENT THIS WOULDN'T HAPPEN. YES.....Just like in Germany and the USA. Unlike our own, they are massive economies which as someone here said in the past have used Irish and other immigration to keep them going.

Now as a person with mates form other countries from Malaysia (doctors) and yes!! 1 from Poland....QUIT playing the race card when someone proposes an argument for immigration control. Speaking of Malaysia..one of the most industrious countries in the far east...they have a brilliant controlled immigration system which works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

dathi1 wrote:
    Speaking of Malaysia..one of the most industrious countries in the far east...they have a brilliant controlled immigration system which works perfectly.
    Except the blatant mistreatment and apparently commonplace abuse of Indonesian maids.
    (I'm not nitpicking, honest! In general (except for the above) the Malaysian situation appears to work reasonably well for Malaysia)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Some yes. But they must remain a minority.

Oh give it a fscking rest already.

Name a single country anywhere in the world who has been forced to enact anti-immigration laws to prevent the native population becoming a minority. Lets exclude Israel for the obvious reason that the line of argument they use is that the "enemy" wants to destroy them, and I hardly think that the immigrants coming to Ireland are specifically out to destroy us. (Although bearing in mind whats written further in this post, I wouldn't be all that surprised to hear some here make comments to the contrary).
    So anyone who wants to restrict immigration into Ireland is a "xenophobe" are they?
    Maybe not anyone who wants to restrict immigration.

Anyone, though, who uses such bullsh1t excuses as needing laws today to prevent a non-existant trend from possibly causing a situation in a decade or three which may not be agreeable.........yes, I think xenophobe is exactly the right term.

If you put forward a rational argument, then your concerns are rational and you can't be xenophobic.

On the other hand, your irrational "must keep a majority" line of thinking, based - as it is - on an irrational line of reasoning (that the initial surge in numbers represents a fixed annual volume we will face each and eery year until we change things), and mixed with all of the other plain irrationalities that have been pointed out time and time and time again in your stance.....

I wouldn't go so far as to say that you're definitely xenophobic, but I would say (and indeed am saying) that your argument is indistinguishable from one that a xenophobe would post.
    The 80% who voted for the Citizenship-referendum are "xenophobes" are they?
    No - just the ones who made their decision to vote no on irrational grounds.
    The exit-poll of those who voted Yes clearly showed that there is MASSIVE unease in this country at the pace of the change in the ethnic-makeup of the population.
    And here we go with the fiction / irrationality again.

There wasn't a single question on that exit-poll which discussed the pace of change. You've already misrepresented people being concerned about others abusing our country as being opposed to immigration in general (I shouldn't have to point out the clear difference). Now you're going one better and saying that they also / instead were saying that it is the rate at which these people are coming in which made them vote...when they never said any such thing.
    That is NOT racist. It is CONCERN.
    But if its not rational concern, then it is xenophobic. You seem to be of the mistaken belief that xenophobia and racism are the same thing.

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

With 6% of the population identifying themselves as "not Irish" on the Census form in 2002, it is clear that the ability of the immigrants to assimilate is open to question.

The wot now?

How do you extrapolate identifying your ethnic roots on a Census form as 'not-Irish' equates with having a questionable ability to assimilate.

Mods; I submit this as Exhibit A. The charge is incitement to racial hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

One has to remember with the census is that it's everybody on the island on the night it's taken this includes tourists and other people who are only here for a relatively short period etc. though that wouldn't have much of a overall affect, i know that there are plenty of people with british passports living in ireland, i think it's somewhere over the 100,000 mark if not alot more. As the previous poster said i don't see how not been ethnically irish affects your ability to assimilate into irish culture, after all if one looks at irish history we have assimilate many different people over many different years (vikings, normans, english, hugenots, jews etc.)

MadsL wrote:
    With 6% of the population identifying themselves as "not Irish" on the Census form in 2002, it is clear that the ability of the immigrants to assimilate is open to question.

The wot now?

How do you extrapolate identifying your ethnic roots on a Census form as 'not-Irish' equates with having a questionable ability to assimilate.

I second this.

SMcCarrick

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Perhaps I'm missing something but I would have thought that 6% seems low. Perhaps just because of where I live, I dunno (or maybe I'm missing the point here). Anyway, Dublin seems like a much more interesting place to live with people of various backgrounds coming to live here. What does assimilation have to do with anything? Is ghettoisation the fear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I can remember that Irish people were going to be put down on the endangered list cos there wasnt that many of us about :(
    One has to remember with the census is that it's everybody on the island on the night it's taken this includes tourists and other people who are only here for a relatively short period etc. though that wouldn't have much of a overall affect,

why mention it then ? :confused:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by MadSL

Oh here we go again! The tactics of the Left in the Citizenship-referendum are being used again, i.e. tarring all who favour restrictions on immigration as the most profoundly evil scum of the earth.

I do not hate ANY race on this planet. I do NOT object to SOME immigration where sufficient Irish labour cannot be found. I am NOT arguing that assimilation of immigrants is impossible. I have NO problems with intermarriage between foreigners and Irish people, as long as it isn't just a tactic to get citizenship. I consider the Irish-born children of mixed Irish-foreign marriages to be IRISH. I am not an advocate of racial-purity or other evil doctrines.

What I am pointing out is the danger of fuelling, however inadvertedly, racist tensions in this country if we pursue unplanned immigration without sufficient restrictions. Our immigration-policy needs to have the needs of the Irish people foremost in mind. Patriotism requires that that be our primary focus. To put the Irish people's national interest first is not to engage in hatred of other races and nations. To state otherwise is a lie, or else the product of extreme ideology of the leftwing-variety.

Our immigration-policy should balance the following aims:

A:To fill vacancies caused by Irish labour shortages.

B:To prevent excessive competition for work by foreigners with Irish people.

C: To prevent the abuse of our immigration-system by those involved with organised-crime, especially terrorism. In this regard, it is notable that those involved in the March 11th terrorist attacks in Madrid were almost all Moroccan immigrants. That is NOT to scapegoat the entire Moroccan emigre population as terrorists. But to deny that terrorism is most rampant in the Islamic world is to substitute political-correctness for fact.

D:To ensure that deportation of illegal-immigrants is enforced so as to ensure that the State can regulate immigration to fulfill the other objectives which require planned immigration under the control of the State, in pursuance of the national-interests of the Irish nation.

E:To prevent the sense of an erosion of national identity, which can only fuel racial tensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Patriotism requires that that be our primary focus.

And people sometimes wonder when I say I am not particularly patriotic! I think you mean 'nationalism' in any case, one of the most dangerous ideologies history has ever witnessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Oh here we go again! The tactics of the Left
    See, this is your biggest (self-inflicted) handicap. You paint (more splash than paint) labels with a wide brush and complain when someone uncorks the bottle of tar and looks for a few feathers. With an opening like that it's hardly worth reading the rest of your post.

Our immigration-policy should balance the following aims:

A:To fill vacancies caused by Irish labour shortages.

B:To prevent excessive competition for work by foreigners with Irish people.

C: To prevent the abuse of our immigration-system by those involved with organised-crime, especially terrorism. In this regard, it is notable that those involved in the March 11th terrorist attacks in Madrid were almost all Moroccan immigrants. That is NOT to scapegoat the entire Moroccan emigre population as terrorists. But to deny that terrorism is most rampant in the Islamic world is to substitute political-correctness for fact.

D:To ensure that deportation of illegal-immigrants is enforced so as to ensure that the State can regulate immigration to fulfill the other objectives which require planned immigration under the control of the State, in pursuance of the national-interests of the Irish nation.

E:To prevent the sense of an erosion of national identity, which can only fuel racial tensions.

a) Ok- I can agree with immigration to fill labour shortages- however I would also be in favour of sufficient net inward migration, particularly in skilled professions, to keep those in the particular professions competitive and on their toes.

b) To prevent excessive competition...... hmmm- we signed the treaty of Rome you know....... what are you proposing- rolling back successive treaties or just dropping out of the EU altogether?

c) So what if most of those involved in the March attacks in Madrid were largely from Morocco? Most of those involved in the WTC attacks were Saudi citizens. In neither case is there a suggestion that state sponsored terrorism was at play. In neither case are the countries new accession states in the EU. In neither case do we have any sizeable populations of their citizens here. This thread is about "New EU member state workers flock to Ireland"- all you are trying to do is murky the waters by introducing a totally off-topic spin to your argument. It has nada to do with this thread.....

d) Re: deportation of illegal immigrants- whats your point. Another 135 were deported last week- by chartered jet to Lagos no less...... Its not a problem- its in hand- whats the issue?

e) Since when does Irish national identity have anything whatsoever to do with race? Why will race issues promote racial tension? Last time I checked most of the new accession states were white caucasians probably the same as you or I. You are once again delibertly attempting to sully the topic of this thread by introducing delibertly inflamatory comments, attempting to appeal to the basser instincts of people- when your points have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the topic in question.

In short- as I said earlier- Justin Barret would be proud of you.

S.

Ps- I'm not even going to bother addressing your left-wing/right-wing psychobabble.....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

ionapaul wrote:
    And people sometimes wonder when I say I am not particularly patriotic! I think you mean 'nationalism' in any case, one of the most dangerous ideologies history has ever witnessed.

Er? I don't see anything wrong with being patriotic. It certainly doesn't suggest that we adopt arcade's mindset, as you point out that his use of the word patriotic is either mistaken or misguided, so I don't see your point.

Originally posted by SmCarrick
    Ok- I can agree with immigration to fill labour shortages- however I would also be in favour of sufficient net inward migration, particularly in skilled professions, to keep those in the particular professions competitive and on their toes.

Excessive labour-competition from poor countries would cause a race to the bottom with regard to wages, as well as squeezing the hard-pressed Irish couple trying to buy a home even further out of the market. Not to mention even more pressure on the Calcuttan Irish hospital-wards. The latter COSTS money. Are we supposed to shut up about this out of fear of offending someone? Are we to wait until the problem is upon us and only then try to figure out what to do about it? Because I'll tell you this: prevention is better than cure. If we are to promote interracial harmony in this country we need to balance several considerations in framing an immigration-policy. We should reject the 2 extremes. By the 2 extremes I mean:

A:The concept that ALL immigration must be stopped.

AND

B:The concept that unlimited immigration into Ireland must be promoted in order to produce what the proponents of this idea call a "multicultural society".

Unless we balance the factors I mention in my previous post, we will fuel the Far-Right in this country in a manner that could have been so easily avoided had we found the correct happy-medium beforehand.

C'mon now, enough of the taboo around discussing immigration issues in depth. For far too long this issue has been taboo, with people with genuine, nonracist concerns about the level of immigration into Ireland fearing speaking out for fear of being labelled as "racist" by the chattering-classes of the politically-correct sections of the media and political life. The chattering-classes are out of touch with the general public on this issue. We need to have a DEBATE on this issue in Irish political life, free of the namecalling that we saw in the referendum-debate. Namecalling failed to convince the Irish electorate to reject the referendum.

Originally posted by SmCarrick
    So what if most of those involved in the March attacks in Madrid were largely from Morocco? Most of those involved in the WTC attacks were Saudi citizens. In neither case is there a suggestion that state sponsored terrorism was at play. In neither case are the countries new accession states in the EU. In neither case do we have any sizeable populations of their citizens here. This thread is about "New EU member state workers flock to Ireland"- all you are trying to do is murky the waters by introducing a totally off-topic spin to your argument. It has nada to do with this thread.....

You are correct that the terrorism endemic in these countries, and emanating from them, is not necessarily state-sponsored (though some of the Saudi princes are suspected of collusion with Al-Qaeda by some commentators). Nonetheless, I consider most of the Islamic world to be going through the kind of religious fanaticism that once engulfed Europe, from the time of the Crusades but especially from the times of the wars between Catholics and Protestants in the 16th and especially 17th century. They kind of rhetoric used by many Muslim clerics, including in Western countries, e.g. Abu Hamza, bears some resemblance to the kind of fanatical anti-Catholic/anti-Protestant rhetoric that someone like Cromwell would have used - except that now this rhetoric is directed at the Christian West (and even against moderate Muslim countries like Turkey). My point on Islam and immigration is relevant to the EU debate since Turkey's membership of the EU is under consideration. While generally in favour of future Turkish membership of the EU, I feel that we may need immigration-controls similar to those allowed under the Treaty of Accession - and the Government may need to use them.
    Re: deportation of illegal immigrants- whats your point. Another 135 were deported last week- by chartered jet to Lagos no less...... Its not a problem- its in hand- whats the issue?

It's still a TINY % of the number of rejected asylum-claims.
    Since when does Irish national identity have anything whatsoever to do with race? Why will race issues promote racial tension? Last time I checked most of the new accession states were white caucasians probably the same as you or I. You are once again delibertly attempting to sully the topic of this thread by introducing delibertly inflamatory comments, attempting to appeal to the basser instincts of people- when your points have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the topic in question.

But we need a national population that is loyal to the Republic of Ireland and its territorial-integrity. We do not need separatism that wants a second partition. Look what happened in 1920. I support racial-intermarriage to ensure that the children born of it will have an affinity with Ireland. Unfortunately, some Muslim immigrants have a fixation with ghettoism and not intermarrying with Christians. Many of those who do intermarry face so-called "honour killings" from fellow Muslims, and this has become a major problem in the UK. We need to gear our education system to enshrine secular values in Muslim children who are going to grow up here.

Your point about terrorism been more prevalent in the muslim word is pathetic, ye sound like the Sun newspaper in the 1980's where every irishman was a balaclava wearing bomber, i can remember going through Stansted Airport in 1996 with my family and been treated with suspicion even though i was only about 15 at the time :rolleyes:

throwing around generalisations is stupid it only shows your ignorance of the muslim world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

Excessive labour-competition from poor countries would cause a race to the bottom with regard to wages, as well as squeezing the hard-pressed Irish couple trying to buy a home even further out of the market. Not to mention even more pressure on the Calcuttan Irish hospital-wards. The latter COSTS money. Are we supposed to shut up about this out of fear of offending someone? Are we to wait until the problem is upon us and only then try to figure out what to do about it? Because I'll tell you this: prevention is better than cure. If we are to promote interracial harmony in this country we need to balance several considerations in framing an immigration-policy.
    Right.
    I presume you are talking about the "poor" accession states here who are now members of the E.U as thats what this thread is about.
    Now where does inter racial harmony come into this where the polish are concerned?
    They are mostly more catholic than we are, they are white and their country is an enthusiastic member of Nato?
    Here was I taking your posts at face value during the discussion on the constitutional ammendement a few weeks back and now I see what appears to be your true colours spouting all this Ireland for the Irish nonsense...
    We need to have a DEBATE on this issue in Irish political life, free of the namecalling that we saw in the referendum-debate. Namecalling failed to convince the Irish electorate to reject the referendum.
    They accepted that referendum and I was one of them but they also accepted the Nice referendum which paved the way for the enlargement of the E.U and the rights of the new states citizens to eventually come here to live and work.
    Perhaps if you want to turn this into a whole Race issue(as it looks like) and Ireland for the Irish you should open a separate thread on that.

Labour competition is not the defining factor in the affordability of homes- the availability of cheap capital is. We have all time low interest rates here- and thanks to our membership of the Euro zone- they are not likely to rise anytime soon. Several other EU countries have undergone similar house price rises for that very reason- along with Ireland I would note the case in Spain, Portugal and of late the Netherlands. Vis-a-vis the "Calcuttan Irish hospital-wards"- if you were to get a brief snapshot- you would probably be startled to know just how many of our hospitals are staffed by immigrant doctors and nurses- who we welcome here with open arms- so I just do not understand the analogy you are drawing- it makes no sense.

Namecalling had absolutely nothing to do with the referendum debate- for the most part the only name calling was by mischievious parts of the media, delibertly trying to play up for a story- aka- the KKK endorse Michael McDowells emigration policies...... please.....

I have to fundamentally disagree with your hypothesis regarding current policies nourishing a possible "far-right"- to be quite honest, the very views that you have expressed would appear to be pretty far right to me (hence my repeated references to Justin Barret).

I'm sorry- but I'm just not buying all that "we need a national population that is loyal to the Republic of Ireland and its territorial-integrity" etc. stuff. The only thing most people care about is their families, standard of living, crime levels and keeping their bank managers happy. Heavy on the rhetoric, low on the realism......

If the thread was a discussion on "immigration issues in depth"- certainly I'd be more inclined to argue (mostly against) a lot of the subject matter you have brought to the public domain- however the specific topic of the thread relates to net migration of EU citizens from the new accession states for work purposes (New EU member state workers flock to Ireland). Its not a discussion of the crusades, the relative merits of christianity, muslim fundamentalism, Ireland as a nation state, our patriotic duties, various virtues etc. etc. etc.- while they all may make interesting discussion topics in their own right- and would in normal circumstances provoke debate- they are clearly absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with this thread.

Arcade, here we go again is right. I find it incredible that you seek to justify your blatherings as being somehow to protect the country from the far-right, when you yourself are spouting such intolerant bull. You are scattering seeds of hatred while proclaiming yourself a liberal. Explain to me how your point about the census data was anything other than an attempt to get across the view that anyone with non-Irish roots is somehow 'suspect'. No rational reader of your post would say that this was the type of comment that a 'liberal' would make.

By the way I can't understand why you still post here when the population of boards hate you...just look at the state of your reputation.

• Advertisement

For those of you living in mid-sized Irish towns...what sort of immigrant communities do you have? Growing up in Galway city (Salthill actually) and now living in Dublin, the immigrant population seemed a mix of many different nationalities. But a friend from Gort (south co. Galway) tells me that there is a sizable community of Brazilians there working in the meat factory (or somewhere awful sounding in any case) and few enough immigrants from other countries. Are there any other instances of different nationalities concentrated in the towns and villages of Ireland? Just curious...

They accepted that referendum and I was one of them but they also accepted the Nice referendum which paved the way for the enlargement of the E.U and the rights of the new states citizens to eventually come here to live and work.

Yes but the Treaty of Accession between the EU and the Accession States provided for the option of restrictions being imposed on immigration from Eastern Europe until 2009. This was in the public domain at the time of the second referendum. I voted for the Nice Treaty partly because of this.

Arcade, once again I see that you are ignoring anything that you don't like. Are you even going to bother to defend your statements about 'non-irish'?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ionapaul wrote:
    For those of you living in mid-sized Irish towns...what sort of immigrant communities do you have? Growing up in Galway city (Salthill actually) and now living in Dublin, the immigrant population seemed a mix of many different nationalities. But a friend from Gort (south co. Galway) tells me that there is a sizable community of Brazilians there working in the meat factory (or somewhere awful sounding in any case) and few enough immigrants from other countries. Are there any other instances of different nationalities concentrated in the towns and villages of Ireland? Just curious...
    It's not so much particular nationalities concentrated in the towns and villages of Ireland, but companies having agreements with recruitment agencies that target particular countries.

a fellow salthill person here, there are brazilians all over the place alot of the meat factories employ them, likewise ballyhaunis up in mayo has quite a large muslim population due to the Halal meat factory.

Yes but the Treaty of Accession between the EU and the Accession States provided for the option of restrictions being imposed on immigration from Eastern Europe until 2009. This was in the public domain at the time of the second referendum. I voted for the Nice Treaty partly because of this.
    I see and would you still resent the Eastern Europeans after 2009??
    they wouldn't be Irish enough for Ireland then either would they??
    Perhaps we should ban Irish people working abroad too in case they catch "non Irishness"...
    By the way can you even speak Irish? Do you live in the Gaeltacht or in the more anglicised East?

And what of rockclimbers point about the polish and your problems with inter racial harmony??
    Ignored that too haven't you.
    Ignored also are the huge numbers of foreign medical staff in Irish hospitals for which we should be thankfull.
    Lets face facts here your posts appear to be following a narrow "Klu klux clan- like" and open"Ireland for the Irish" keep them out, keep them down unless absolutely necessary track here.
    The irony is that puts you in a minority.

Mods- please close and lock thread, for obvious reasons.

S.

smccarrick wrote:
    Mods- please close and lock thread, for obvious reasons.

S.

I second this. Useful debate has come to an end.

Earthman wrote:
    I see and would you still resent the Eastern Europeans after 2009??
    they wouldn't be Irish enough for Ireland then either would they??
    Perhaps we should ban Irish people working abroad too in case they catch "non Irishness"...
    By the way can you even speak Irish? Do you live in the Gaeltacht or in the more anglicised East?

And what of rockclimbers point about the polish and your problems with inter racial harmony??
    Ignored that too haven't you.
    Ignored also are the huge numbers of foreign medical staff in Irish hospitals for which we should be thankfull.
    Lets face facts here your posts appear to be following a narrow "Klu klux clan- like" and open"Ireland for the Irish" keep them out, keep them down unless absolutely necessary track here.
    The irony is that puts you in a minority.

OMG, not again. More distorting of what I said.

I have already stated umpteen times and a half that I welcome and accept the need for SOME foreign-labour due to Irish labour-shortages. I have not "ignored" this as you claim. I am indeed grateful to the Filipino nurses. Don't put words in my mouth thank you very much!

The KKK believe in racial-superiority of whites and they have killed many innocent people because of these twisted and fascist views. I hate the KKK and everything they stand for. Do NOT lump me in with them.

After 2009, my objections to the lack of restrictions may subside as hopefully then the trend of immigration to Ireland will slow as Germany and Austria become more convenient locations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I was watching Reeling in the years last night - 1986

now wait for it rasists......

in 1986 30,000 Irish people emigrated

- - don't anyone come bact to me with the "we went to work crap"

These emigrant workers only come her because they need a better option - like when our boys left for the US and England. They are FAR harder workers than most of the lazey asses here anyway. The very ones that are the loudest mouths about the issues are the ones pampering there asses sitting at home.

Advertisement