Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bin charges to be published later

• 06-08-2004 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭

Just got a letter from Dublin City Council asking me to attach a sticker to my bin so they can charge for a "pay use/volume system from 1 january 2005".

While I'm all for this approach to waste, what gets my is the second paragraph....

"the scale of the charges will be published late this year".

This just gets up my blood boiling...I'm not against charging for waste but it should be my right to know how much its going to be before I sign up to something.

Apperantly if you dont sign up now they "cannot guarentee a service from the start of next year".

Anyone else feel like they are approaching this again like a pile of cr$p.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Bin charges are a sham,they are not even an environmental necessity,they were just brought in to line the pockets of an elite group of businessmen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Absolutely. I've paid my bin charges and have my P60 to prove it! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

why does dublin people feel they shouldnt pay for there bin charges?? everyone else in the countrys does and the reason why its so expensive is no enough people recycle.................. sorry long rant no offense to dublin people :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

As I said I was not against the charges...its that they are not published until after you signup....its like going to a restaurant for a meal and only finding out the price when you have eaten it....they could charge anything.

Secondly...its by weight and frequency...not volume

Thirdly...no focus on the increase of illegal dumping, backyard burning etc. that will be associated with this (my parents live in Kerry and I know how much of the stuff is burned...this in my understanding is worse for the environment).

What really surprises me is the lack of people who give a toss and are signing up for the service. its like the bin thing was overdone last year and the county council can get away with it this time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The council isn't getting away with it; the council is asking people to pay for a service.

Isn't it odd that so many of us were delighted to see a 15p charge go on plastic bags - which resulted in a big decrease in littering - yet we're not so enthusiastic about the same kind of charge for disposing of waste, which might equally cut down on the amount of junk thrown out.

If you compost your vegetable peelings and grass clippings and newspapers, use the green bins for cans and glossy paper and glossy cardboard and tetra-paks, and bring glass bottles and plastic bags and bottles to the bring centre, you should be putting the black bin out only about once a month, in any case.

I was furious when the bin charges were first brought in, because I'd always figured that a charge that had been subsumed into the general income taxes at one stage would be sneaked back on later. Then I thought about it, and realised that income tax has sunk by a lot since those days - so now I'm happy enough to pay.

Sure, some people will react to the demand that they should pay for their waste by illegally burning it in their gardents - but there are always people who break the law like that. They're no different from those who drive without insurance, litter the streets or batter others. It's a choice: do you want to live as a member of society or as a lone person unconnected with others. For me, I'd prefer to live as a member of society. Up to you which you prefer.

• Advertisement

missing the point....I'm not against the charges and I have a compost bin etc. etc........

Its the fact that the council are NOT publishing the rates and yet are asking you to sign up for a service......

show the rates BEFORE asking people to decide what they want to do...might be so expensive I want to bring it to the dump myself etc.

What is the price?
    What is the price?
    What is the price?
    What is the price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Oh, sorry, see what you mean. A quick web search brings up this page:

http://www.dublincity.ie/wasteinfo/fra_ind.asp?ID=1&PG=was_main.htm
    mrhappy42 wrote:
    missing the point....I'm not against the charges and I have a compost bin etc. etc........

Its the fact that the council are NOT publishing the rates and yet are asking you to sign up for a service......

show the rates BEFORE asking people to decide what they want to do...might be so expensive I want to bring it to the dump myself etc.

What is the price?
    What is the price?
    What is the price?
    What is the price?

I read the web site and it has good details...but no charges....it says that they would be sending a letter in March...seing that we got ours in August I can only assume that there are issues.

Thanks for info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

why does dublin people feel they shouldnt pay for there bin charges

We don't! As I told you my P60 proves that I have been paying tax all year. That has always covered the price of collecting the bins and still does. So why am I and everyone else being asked to pay again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭[Preacher]

why does dublin people feel they shouldnt pay for there bin charges?? everyone else in the countrys does and the reason why its so expensive is no enough people recycle.................. sorry long rant no offense to dublin people :o

No offence to culchies, but just because they have been "silly" enough to pay bin charges for years without questioning it is not justification for Dublin having to pay too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement