Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Athlon XP's not preforming right.

Options
  • 07-08-2004 12:54am
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

My friend has a curious problem with his Athlon XP 2600 Barton. For some reason the computer is only detecting the cpu at about a 1050mhz well low of 1.9ghz it should be running at. I verified with CPU Z just to be sure. Now the puzzling thing. His FSB is set to 166 as it should be. He is using a gigabyte motherboard the GA-7N400 Pro 2 nforce 2 motherboard. There appears to be no multiplayer settings in the motherboard bios (even if the chip was locked) but I believe cpu-z should a correct multiplyer of 11.5.
    I saw recently on boards that another guy had a similar problem with a athlon 2600 as well and where recommended a cmos clear via a jumper. But low and behold gigabyte motherboards don't have these jumpers. Same as my old gigabyte amd 64 board. He tried removing the bios battery but that had no affect still detected at 1050mhz. All I can think of is to try and update the bios.

Secondly he also has a mobile athlon xp 2800 barton in a targa laptop. This has a fsb of 133 and clock speed of 1.4ghz. Is that correct it seems too low as well. A quick look in the bios and again no way of changing multiplyer or fsb.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Is it running 1150mhz? If so then its just that the FSB isint kicking in at 166mhz. Try changing the multi and FSB to different specs and see how it responds.........

If its an Xp2800+ in a laptop its definetly running too slow, an Xp2600 mobile chip runs over 2ghz....... Are you sure its nothing to do with power management? Ie my AMD laptop can run 266mhz , 700mhz , 1000mhz depending on wheather its pluged in and my settings (figures are just rough as i forget exactly).
    Try pluggin it in, and playing around with the power management settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

if you just check the fsb i got this problem a few times even if says its correct just go into the option and reset it to 166.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Try uping the voltage a lil to match the FSB. Also, make sure that mobo doesn't have a limit lock on it. i.e: pci bus isn't locking it down. It may read as 166, but might not be doing the preformance.

-Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Have you tried updating the biox?
    Also look at the bridges and numbers on the black badge of the chip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

I've had a look at the above PC ages ago and the problem was that u can change the number (FSB) in the BIOS setup but it doesn't actually physically change it. and when restarting the change is still there, so the cmos is not reset or something, first thing i thought about was the MOBO battery, but its not the problem. I recon its more than likely some sort of BIOS corruption, so update or reinstall bios shall do the job. and if not (i know its the right way dealing with it, but we've spend ages at it) get a new MOBO. By the way it was working for the first few weeks when the mobo was new, but the owner didn't have a clue what happend and he said he didn't do anything.

Laptop - very weired thing that is. I must have a look at it when i get back to athlone!

Overall --> Martin B. is one unlucky guy :(

• Advertisement

any more suggestions on this problem? I'll check those two machines out at the start of september and if i can find something out i'll post it here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Try to list the settings from the desktop....... ie multiplier / FSB etc (ie from windows) and it might look clearer.

Im still thinking the laptop is adjusting CPU speed to conserve power as thats the only thing i can think of.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I have the xp2800 targa laptop and Col_Loki is correct in that its the amd powersaving settings on the chip.

I noticed this the first few days after i got the machine, it runs at 2.13ghz at full power (when encoding a dvd or gaming) and then drops down again when the machine is not under stress. Basically the idea is that the machine uses less power whenever possible, esp when on battery.

Hope this is helpful

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Thxs I will pass on that to my friend.

Thats 99.9% for sure about the laptop, but i still cannot think of anything to fix that computer. Maybe we should just stick in another mobo and then it should obiously work, still a hundret quid gone even though that mobo he's got in it now only cost about 60 i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

im having the same probelm i think, im using an xp2000 chip but it only clocks in at 1.3 gig, i hear this is a little low, or am i mistaken? im using an abit kx7 motherboard. Any ideas on what i can do, i will post up what it says in the bios if you think that would help

Yeah the Athlon XP 2000 has a clock spee of 1.67Ghz. Check your fsb is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

what should the fsb be?

133 I believe. Yeah the multiplyer is 12.5 which equals about 1.662Ghz or rounded off to 1.67Ghz. If that seems correct check the multiplyer is set to 12.5 you may have an unlocked chip.

Advertisement