Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Think this is a scam?

Options
  • 07-08-2004 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

PURCHASE OF Suzuki Intruder 350euros
    Dear Friend,i am a doctor based in Holland.I just mailed to let you know that i am
    interested in purchasing your Suzuki Intruder.I assume it to be in a favourably good
    condition.I intend to purchase your Suzuki Intruder which is currently at your
    disposal,we would like to know the last negotiable prise for this Suzuki Intruder
    and how many you currently have for sale.Also we would want you to know that we
    intend on paying you through a euro bankers draft check.Our partner who resides in
    the ireland will give you the bank draft or check as soon as the neccessary
    negotiations have been concluded.

Regards,

John Smith

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

PURCHASE OF BMW 316
    Dear Friend,i am a doctor based in Holland.I just mailed to let you know that i am interested in purchasing your BMW 316.I assume it to be in a favourably good condition.I intend to purchase your BMW 316 which is currently at your disposal,we would like to know the last negotiable prise for this BMW 316 and how many you currently have for sale.Also we would want you to know that we intend on paying you through a euro bankers draft check.Our partner who resides in the ireland will give you the bank draft or check as soon as the neccessary negotiations have been concluded.

Regards,

John Smith

Sayin something but i dont even have one for sale.scam alrite have got plenty with boats mobiles etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Smells dodgy alright, sounds like a thread that was posted on AfterHours recently.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=175285
    Read through it and see if anything feels familiar. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I got one of those too for a room in a house I was advertising for. Turns out they send you a bankers draft for say 5 grand, you send them the item and whatever change from the 5 grand and when you try to cash/lodge the draft it turns out to be fake. How I was going to send them a room from a house is another thing altogether... Those wacky scammers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Scam. It's following the exact same template as the other ones. I'd drag him along for a while if you feel like dedicating the time. Eventually send him a picture of the item but make sure it looks like the starship Enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The Nigerians are at it again :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

see this

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

If it's unsolicited, how can it be wrong!?!

Seriously though...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

But he is a doctor! doctors never lie.... :D

I got a scam letter from "very important business men before" FFS a kid could do better

stuck it in google and got this
    http://www.everything.ie/howtouse.php

"scams to watch out for ::

A few people have told me they have received rather dubious emails from people that seem like scams. Here is an example of one regarding an ad placed for a motorbike on everything.ie:

"Dear Friend,
    i am a doctor based in Holland.I just mailed to let you know that i am interested in purchasing your Vespa ET2 . I assume it to be in a favourably good condition. I intend to purchase your Vespa ET2 which is currently at your disposal, we would like to know the last negotiable prise for this Vespa ET2 and how many you currently have for sale. Also we would want you to know that we intend on paying you through a euro bankers draft check. Our partner who resides in the ireland will give you the bank draft or check as soon as the necessary negotiations have been concluded.
    Regards, Brian Smith"

This is most likely a common scam going around at the moment involving fake bank drafts. You can read up on the subject by clicking here: http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/national/2333224?view=Eircomnet

Basically be very wary of overseas buyers, or anyone that wants to pay by bank draft or cheques, they quite often turn out to be fraudulent leaving you with nothing and little power to do anything about it.

These cases are of course very rare, but as with all things in life, it's best to just use common sense. If something seems too good to be true, it generally is."

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Robbo wrote:
    If it's unsolicited, how can it be wrong!?!

Seriously though...
    You obviously placed your email within an advert for the bike and the good Dr. replied to it - doesn't mean the Dr. is cochure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

Have a look at the headers on this e-mail and the chances are you'll find something suspicious. Somebody could genuinely be using an overseas ISP, but it raises the warning flags.

Nothing to do with a vehicle sale, but I just received a scam e-mail which is a new twist on the "deceased Nigerian" theme, only this time the scammer presumably figured I'd be taken in more easily if he pretended to be in my own country. Says he works in a London bank which holds £5.5 million of some foreign gentleman's money, and even pointed me to a BBC news story as "proof" (well, I'm satisfied that he knows how to find a BBC news item about a plane crash, but it doesn't really convince me of anything else).

The ISP holding the e-mail account he mailed me from is registered in the Philippines, with corresponds with the GMT+8 hrs. setting in his mailer. The private e-mail address he suggested I use has a TLD in the Cocos/Keeling Islands, and the domain is registered to somebody in Moldova.

But you didn't even have to go that far to see that he'd never been anywhere near the U.K. He actually told me the account balance was "5,500,000 lbs." :rolleyes:

If you check the mail headers carefully I'm sure you'll find something to put you on your guard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement