Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Is Lost Island of Atlantis, Says Scientist

• 07-08-2004 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=570&ncid=570&e=2&u=/nm/20040806/sc_nm/ireland_atlantis_dc

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Atlantis, the legendary island nation over whose existence controversy has raged for thousands of years, was actually Ireland, according to a new theory by a Swedish scientist.

Atlantis, the Greek philosopher Plato wrote in 360 BC, was an island in the Atlantic Ocean where an advanced civilization developed some 11,500 years ago until it was hit by a cataclysmic natural disaster and sank beneath the waves.

Geographer Ulf Erlingsson, whose book explaining his theory will be published next month, says the measurements, geography, and landscape of Atlantis as described by Plato match Ireland almost exactly.

"I am amazed no one has come up with this before, it's incredible," he told Reuters.

"Just like Atlantis, Ireland is 300 miles long, 200 miles wide, and widest across the middle. They both have a central plain surrounded by mountains

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep it really is August.....

Mike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

interesting i doubt it just a wacky sweedish scientist :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

We're not lost! We know perfectly well where we are! But abandoned.... well, maybe that's ceist eile...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Atlantis, the Greek philosopher Plato wrote in 360 BC, was an island in the Atlantic Ocean where an advanced civilization developed some 11,500 years ago until it was hit by a cataclysmic natural disaster and sank beneath the waves.
    You see that's the problem with that theory; Ireland isn't capable of developing advanced civilizations because of the large amounts of alcohol the Irish drink:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

You see that's the problem with that theory; Ireland isn't capable of developing advanced civilizations because of the large amounts of alcohol the Irish drink:rolleyes:

Hey now, lets be realistic.

I say the aincent celts were far advanced... we rocked ahead of everyone else, built places like Newgrange, and so on (well before the pyramids etc etc). Then, as travel developed, we realised just how advanced we were, we started thinking 'sure, were world leaders here, everyone else is generations behind us...' we then started to relax, thinking it could take a while to be caught. Our great minds started to work on recreational products rather than new and important inventions that would improve life.
    then we found drink, and woke up some years later to the fact that some of our lands had sunk and we were now far behind everyone else. :D:D

flogen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

so what exactly happened to us back then, did we sink hit the bottom then bounce back to the surface?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

tba wrote:
    so what exactly happened to us back then, did we sink hit the bottom then bounce back to the surface?

the claim is that the myth about atlantis/ireland sinking came from Dogger Bank sinking after a flood (thats on the north east of England). Supposedly Plato just made a mistake or something...

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

This is old news. All this was revealed a couple of years ago in Family Guy (the episode where Peter finds out he's black in case your wondering). Although it didn't go as far as to outright name Ireland as Atlantis, it was pretty obvious. The natural disaster that hit us was the alcohol. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

/me eagerly awaits details of the finding of the first ever fossilised remains of a leprechaun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

" I am amazed no one has come up with this before, it's incredible," he told Reuters.

Huh? Hasn't this theory been thrown around for ages? If anyone's ever read any of the fables and old tales of Ireland and all that sort of stuff, the link between Ireland and Atlantis pops up more often than an unwanted fly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

flogen wrote:

I say the aincent celts were far advanced... we rocked ahead of everyone else, built places like Newgrange, and so on (well before the pyramids etc etc). Then, as travel developed, we realised just how advanced we were, we started thinking 'sure, were world leaders here, everyone else is generations behind us...' we then started to relax, thinking it could take a while to be caught. Our great minds started to work on recreational products rather than new and important inventions that would improve life.
    then we found drink, and woke up some years later to the fact that some of our lands had sunk and we were now far behind everyone else. :D:D

flogen
    I'd be inclined to agree with this - except I'm not sure it wasn't the pre-celts who did NewGrange. In fact I think it was probably the celts who first brought booze here - and it was whiskey + indians scenario. I don't believe the Egyptians were the first to make beer - they just invented writing - then beer.

I don't think whiskey was invented by monks here or in Scotland. The monks on the Skelligs probably brought this with them from the desert (dunno which one they came from). My source - a hunch ;) - just want to piss-off the historians really ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Alcohol was an invaders/indians scenario here? So the stories of the Tuatha de Danaan disappearing to live in the mists on the hills was just that they'd been drinking Irish Mist? Fascinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

His book, "Atlantis from a Geographer's Perspective: Mapping the Fairy Land," calculates the probability Plato would have had access to geographical data about Ireland as 99.98 percent.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭NocturnalDonkey

I thought Atlantis was the same Island as Tir Na Og....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

flogen wrote:

flogen
    i like your theory a lot more :) its a lot more interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

Well it explains the fins and the gils but I still find it hard to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Well some of you might remember a programme called "The Man From Atlantis" and the character in the title roll was one Patrick Duffy, (who became more famous later in the roll of Bobby Ewing) so there could be some truth in it! :)

Advertisement