Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TCD Engineering

• 07-08-2004 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Does anyone happen to know what the drop-out rate is for each year of this course, or where I might find out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 livingupatree

No I've already decided on the course + hope to start in october, I'm just curious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bandraoi

No I've already decided on the course + hope to start in october, I'm just curious!

TCD for engineering? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

bandraoi wrote:
    TCD for engineering? :eek:
    Why not?

As for the dropout rate i'm not sure. First and second year are the years where most people who fail do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Does anyone happen to know what the drop-out rate is for each year of this course, or where I might find out?

It's a good course, as for drop out rate, didn't seem to be that many after the first few weeks. That more due to people finding themselves in the wrong course or what not. I'd say about 30 people droped out/exspelled/ failed to pass exams. Not bad. (first year).

If you would like to know anymore about the course, I'm oging into second year, and you can drop me a line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Why not?

Because TCD engineering degrees would be considered less practical than ones from DCU and UL. Funny story a recruiter from IBM Ireland back in the late 90s wasn't interested in engineers from TCD - not enough practical experience! ;)

To be fair it depends on the discipline - Civil is supposed to be ok, but Electronic is supposed to be weak.

jayok wrote:
    Because TCD engineering degrees would be considered less practical than ones from DCU and UL. Funny story a recruiter from IBM Ireland back in the late 90s wasn't interested in engineers from TCD - not enough practical experience! ;)

To be fair it depends on the discipline - Civil is supposed to be ok, but Electronic is supposed to be weak.

Could you be anymore flakey then this, what the hell would you know about how pratical it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I thought that UL was seen as having the best Mech and Aeronautical Eng faculty and UCC as having the best Elec Eng and Micro-Elec faculty.

D-Generate wrote:
    I thought that UL was seen as having the best Mech and Aeronautical Eng faculty and UCC as having the best Elec Eng and Micro-Elec faculty.

Thats not what he said. I really couldn't comment on that, maybe they are better. He said that TCD was less pratical then XY and Z, which I can't really see how. He then wen't on to say civil is more pratical then electronics, going by the facilities per student, the opposite would seem to be the case from my point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Ok I should clarify things of what I mean. The amount of practical experience that one can obtain on the TCD course is less than on a course from say DCU or UL. An obvious example? Well UL and DCU students do six months work experience that TCD students do not.

What the hell would I know? Probably nothing, but I am an employer in the engineering field (electronic / computing) and have seen TCD / UL / DCU candidates. It does seem from this side of the fench that UL / DCU give the student more hands-on works.

With regard to Civil Engineering, TCDs course is supposed to be relatively good. There's that word "relative"... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I think you will find as with most fields that certain companies will prefer students from certain colleges that they think are better. They may have some experiences to back up their opinion or they may have their own bias's based on where they went to college or whatever. That's not really to say that any course is better or worse than another. They are all up to the relevant standard for the examining body so they can't be all that different. So at the end of the day I think most of it comes down to personal bias.

jayok wrote:
    Ok I should clarify things of what I mean. The amount of practical experience that one can obtain on the TCD course is less than on a course from say DCU or UL. An obvious example? Well UL and DCU students do six months work experience that TCD students do not.

What the hell would I know? Probably nothing, but I am an employer in the engineering field (electronic / computing) and have seen TCD / UL / DCU candidates. It does seem from this side of the fench that UL / DCU give the student more hands-on works.

With regard to Civil Engineering, TCDs course is supposed to be relatively good. There's that word "relative"... :D

Knews to me mate, I was under the impression me do 6 months works experience in thrid year, maybe I'm wrong. If thats what you mean by pratical then thats your definition, but if you look at the TCD eelectronics timetable for third and fourth its packed with Lab time and projects, and the labs are pretty much open for anybody. On top of that your talking about 15-20 in the faculty so maybe one thing is down but other things are up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭jlang

Some eng courses are more theoretical than others, but that's not necessarily a bad thing and suits some students. In colleges which don't have an organised 6/9 month placement scheme as part of the course, students generally try to get their own placement for the summer between 3rd/4th year (if they're interested or 2nd/3rd year as well, if they're really interested and have good contacts). Downside is you have to look for it yourself (some lecturers have better contacts than others and are more willing to help), but the upside is that you can then say that you had to look for it yourself rather than being told where to go by your college.

You can get the guts of 4/5 months work experience between when exams end and term starts again, and if you don't get an indication that the company would consider hiring you on graduation, other prospective employers will like that you have some experience rather than spending the summer on the beach or in a non-related job.

jlang wrote:
    Some eng courses are more theoretical than others, but that's not necessarily a bad thing and suits some students. In colleges which don't have an organised 6/9 month placement scheme as part of the course, students generally try to get their own placement for the summer between 3rd/4th year (if they're interested or 2nd/3rd year as well, if they're really interested and have good contacts). Downside is you have to look for it yourself (some lecturers have better contacts than others and are more willing to help), but the upside is that you can then say that you had to look for it yourself rather than being told where to go by your college.

You can get the guts of 4/5 months work experience between when exams end and term starts again, and if you don't get an indication that the company would consider hiring you on graduation, other prospective employers will like that you have some experience rather than spending the summer on the beach or in a non-related job.

Thats the thing, I'm not one absolutely sure on the details but TCD does have work place ment for the third term in third year, and summer, thats 6 months right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Having spoken to a guy going into third year in tcd engineering yesterday about this, he said tcd don't do work experience.

Molly wrote:
    Having spoken to a guy going into third year in tcd engineering yesterday about this, he said tcd don't do work experience.

You see thats the odd thing, cause I know people that have it lined up already. What stream is he doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Boston wrote:
    You see thats the odd thing, cause I know people that have it lined up already. What stream is he doing.

no courses in tcd do placement per say that i'm aware of.
    those that have to do of course (medicine/pharmacy/etc..)
    but other than that no....

what he could be talking about is attempting to gain experence relevent to his degree during the summer as most of us do...

Triceradon wrote:
    no courses in tcd do placement per say that i'm aware of.
    those that have to do of course (medicine/pharmacy/etc..)
    but other than that no....

what he could be talking about is attempting to gain experence relevent to his degree during the summer as most of us do...

He said he was getting work placement with the civil eng department. I took that as meaning they would get it for him, now I'm thinking maybe he will work in the department. Not really stress about it. four months off during the summer, and as the pervious poster said you can get it yourself.

Advertisement