Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need recommendation for small crash repair job...

Options
  • 07-08-2004 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

Need to have passenger door panel beaten and possibly re-sprayed and a whole new side mirror replaced, casing and all. Can anyone recommend anywhere that won't rip me off either in the Dublin 8 area (where I live) or in the Leopardstown/Sandyford area (where I work)? I have to get this all done by Saturday week as that's when I have my NCT test... :eek:

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Oh in case this is important my car is a mark 4 VW golf and it's black!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Smith and Brannigan crash repairs do a good job. They're not too far from the penny hill pub in lucan. you'll prob have to leave it in with them for a day or more though. why not put the nct back a couple of weeks to give yourself more time to get the car sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

You should also look at the option of getting a door in the same colour from a scrapyard. Then its just a case of transferring all the mechanicals and fittings from your own door and theres no spraying or possibllites of ripples on a bad repair. It may not even cost much more.

Theres a few places up north like Rooneys who keep large stocks of doors etc. and even deliver countrywide.

Right, so I've got a quote from my regular mechanic and it comes to €975 + VAT... :eek:

Obviously I'll pay in cash if I proceed in this case but it DOES seem really expensive or am I wrong? Basically I'm having a whole new mirror fitted which has to be primed and painted etc and the door is going to be beaten and re-sprayed. Most of the cost is the labour obviously which is about €720 out of the €975.

Opinions please and does anyone know of a few breakers yards that I could call tomorrow to see if they might have a full mirror (casing and all)? I need addresses as I'll be looking them up in the Golden Pages.

Thanks in advance. :)

Jaysus thats expensive! You should be able to get it done for half that.

A replacement door will definately cost a lot less than that. Heres a couple of numbers to ring:
    Traynors : 04838891242
    McCoys : 0483088769
    Both around the Armagh area.

• Advertisement

I'm not overly bothered about getting a new door but a mirror would be great! Do you know of any places nearer than Armagh? What about Dublin? There has to be a few places!

Traynors have a van delivery service so you can give them a ring and ask for a price. If you get one of those weekly car magazines in the newsagents (or even go in and browse) ;) you will see plenty of ads for the major breakers, try a few of them and see what they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Giles wrote:
    What about Dublin? There has to be a few places!

Try Southside Motor Spares on the west pier of Dun Laoghaire harbour
    ph 2804177. It's an old card I have but I think they're still there. Like all the good breakers they'll make a few calls and find the part you need in a few days usually.

Thanks a mill guys, I'll get cracking on those tips either tomorrow or Monday depending on how much booze I consume tonight! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Borzoi wrote:
    Try Southside Motor Spares on the west pier of Dun Laoghaire harbour
    ph 2804177..

yeah and they will import parts for you from Traynors :D

ring Traynors they may have complete door

• Advertisement
Advertisement