Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eircom League champions???

• 07-08-2004 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

In my opinion, the league this season is a 3 way dance - Shels, City and Drogs.

Its going to be some run in to the end of the season. With Shels competeing in Europe now, until at least October, that will put a strain on their relatively small squad. Plus they will fall victims of fixture congestion.

Drogs. What a season they are having. Unbelievabnly they are still 25-1 to win the league. Surely thats worth at least an each way punt. Can they win the title though? Yes they can. Look at it, in recent weeks, they have beaten Shels, City, Derry and Shams, scoring 11, conceding a big fat ZERO. Thats some record Im sure you will agree. That said, they will probably go through a stinker of a run soon, putting paid to their title aspirations.

City currently are 8 points adrift of both Shels and Drogs, but with 2 and 3 games in hand respectively. City have the strength and depth to be able to withstand the fixture congestion caused by the european adventure. The home record is decent, and Citys away form is the best seen in years.

Going to be a close race but the top three will be split by 5 poinst max.

1. Cork City
    2. Sh€l$
    3. Drogs
    4. Bohs
    5. Waaherfurh
    6. Longford
    7. Shams
    8. Derry
    9. SPA
    10. Continuity Home Farm.

Thoughts???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

gimmick wrote:
    1. Cork City
    2. Sh€l$
    3. Drogs
    4. Bohs
    5. Waaherfurh
    6. Longford
    7. Shams
    8. Derry
    9. SPA

Thoughts???

1. Sh€ls
    2. Drogs
    3. Cork
    4. Bohs
    5. Scummers
    6. Supersaints
    7. waterford
    8. Longford
    9. Derry
    10 Home farm

Seen Cork last night ,they wont win the league with that team ,no offence :). Seen Drogs last week its like watching greece all over again :) Can see Shels losing the plot when they get hammered in Europe but they should only need 6 points after the 2nd leg to win the league due to others fukkin up. Drogs have a lot exp players imagine they will grind out a few more wins although we beat them easily enough and we very young/crap side.

Personally would like either Cork or Drogs to win it as we need a team outside Dublin to win it. But Cork get 2 injuries and they will struggle, Drogs have a better bench but still may get nosebleeds being up that high.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

gimmick wrote:
    Unbelievabnly they are still 25-1 to win the league.
    Where did you get the odds, I can't find outright odds anywhere? Do they still take e/w bets midway through the season? A team could be 10 points clear 3rd place and almost guaranteed 2nd spot but because they are so far behind the leaders they are 50/1 to win the league, I doubt you could stick them on e/w if they are almost guaranteed 2nd.

I really think its too close to call for top spot. Shels will go on a dip in form when they get knocked out of Europe and they will also have a very congestive fixture list. They will also be mor inclined to rest key players for league matches if they have a european match a few days later. Drogs are going through a good spell and it won't last long IMO. Cork have the best chance of winning it and its more or less in their own hands.

I'm going for Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

gimmick wrote:

Going to be a close race but the top three will be split by 5 poinst max.

1. Cork City
    2. Sh€l$
    3. Drogs
    4. Bohs
    5. Waaherfurh
    6. Longford
    7. Shams
    8. Derry
    9. SPA

my predictions exactly .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

1.Shels
    2.Bohs
    3.Cork
    4.Drogs
    5.Waterford
    6.Homeless Hun
    7.St.Pats
    8.Derry
    9.Longford
    10.Home Farm Vikings
    my predictions exactly .
    Your sig doesn't seem to think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Pigman II wrote:
    1.Shels
    2.Bohs
    3.Cork
    4.Drogs
    5.Waterford
    6.Homeless Hun
    7.St.Pats
    8.Derry
    9.Longford
    10.Home Farm Vikings

Your sig doesn't seem to think so.

oh if been sleepy , switch Shels and Cork around .

ive looked at that sereral times and until you poitned that out I didnt see that Cork we're top :o .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

1. Shel
    2. Cork
    3. Drog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Shels will win the league. They are playing Cork this weekend, which will be a hard game, but if they play like they did against Split then no team in the league sould be capable of beating them.

Cork must win that game if they have any hope of winning the league, the midweek game will probably be shels undoing regardless of the result.

Btw Shels at 13/2 to win on tues thats shocking odds ,should be about 10 to 1 as they are 10,000 to 1 to win the CL whilst Depor are 22/1.

Depor 4/11 to win the game on weds.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    the midweek game will probably be shels undoing regardless of the result.

Perhaps you're right, the last league game Shels played was against Drogheda after the KR Reykjavik over there. Shels lost that one 2-0 at home.

The travel to Cork after the Dépor game could prove to be too much for them.

Also, the Away leg is on the 24th August, the Tuesday before a home game against Longford Town, which is another potential slip up for Shels.

Shels then have another 2 games in the UEFA Cup on the 16th and 30th of September, they are Thursdays, so games scheluled against The Stains (17th ) and Derry City ( 1st October ) will have to be re-arranged. This will cause annoyance for the other clubs involved, and headache later in the season for Shels, the other clubs and the eircom League (dis)organisers. Shels have already had two games postponed ( -v- Bohs on the 30th July, -v- Dublin City on the 6th August, that have yet to be re-scheduled ).

I am not complaining, simply stating facts. It's a nice problem for the club to have. It will be hard, but they can do it.

Getting a bit ahead of myself here, but the dates for the group games in the UEFA Cup are as follows:

Group stage, matchday 1 21.10.2004 ( Down to play Dublin City that date)
    Group stage, matchday 2 04.11.2004 ( Down to play Longford 2 days later,Away)
    Group stage, matchday 3 25.11.2004 ( League due to finish the 19th November)
    Group stage, matchday 4 01 & 02.12.2004
    Group stage, matchday 5 15 & 16.12.2004

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Right, after tonights results, the league is wide open again

Bohs 2 - 0 Sh€l$

City 2 - 0 Longford

Wafor 3 - 1 TTFKAHF

Shels have 56

Bohs 49

City 44

City have 2 games in hand of both above, and have to play Shels in Tolka, and Bohs at the Cross on the last day.

Im not going toi make any predictions, but it certainly isnt a foregone conclusion, and it should be damn interesting.

Come On CITY!!!!!! :D;)

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote:
    Come On CITY!!!!!! :D;)

tHE vILLAGE won't win the league, no chance, even if they get six points from those two games in hand, then they'll only have 50 points, still six points behind Shels.
    gimmick wrote:
    Shels have 56
    Bohs 49
    City 44

Why have you written Drogheda out of the equation there?

I know Shels beath them 5-2 last week, but Shels were due to give some team a hammering, it's just (un?)fortunate that it was Drogs.

Sure, Shels have tHE vILLAGE to play in Tolka, but they've already beaten them at tURNERS x. In fact, tHE vILLAGE have not beaten Shels at all this season. So going on that, the best they can hope for at Tolka is a draw.

This Friday in Tolka will be interesting. After last nights capitualtion in Dalymount, Shelbourne will have the chance to go back to 11 points clear of Bohs. Of all the games I've watched this season in the league, last night was Shels worst performance, apart from the game in Tolka against Drogheda after the Reykjavik away leg. But credit to Bohs, they capitalised, and didn't bottle it in the last 3 minutes this time. If Shels win on friday, then they'll only need two more wins and a draw to wrap up the league. And with CHF and SPA left to play, plus tHE vILLAGE, that looks to me like the seven points they'll need ( once they take revenge on Bohs on Friday ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

god i hope shels dont start messing it up. 5 games in 3 days or whatever it is , is simply madness.

^^^^^^^^^^^Get over it, City had to do the same earlier in the season. Then due to the leagues stupidity had a 4 week lay off without a game, and without a home game in 5 weeks! :(

Anyways, after last nights results, the league looks like it could come down to a straight shoot out between City and Shels.

Shels 57
    Bohs 49
    City 47 with 2 games in hand (away to Derry and Longford)

City have to play Shels on the 29th OCT. If City win all 3 games, there is 1 point in it between themselves and $h€£$.

Also, the last game of the season, in Turners X, between Bohs and City could well decide the destination of the title, or at very least - decide 2nd spot.

Longford 1 - 2 City

Joint 2nd now, with 2 in hands of Bohs, 7 behind Shels with a game in hand!!

City have to play SPA friday in the Cross, and Derry in the Brandy Tuesday. 2 Potential banana skins - but City have 3 wins over SPA this season, are on a roll, and SPA by all accounts just aint playing too well.

It is quite possible that by the time City play Shels friday week, we will be only 4 behind.

That being said, I see SPA getting a point Friday, which in effect will end any thoughts City have of the league. Ill be happy enough with 2nd though.
    god i hope shels dont start messing it up. 5 games in 3 days or whatever it is , is simply madness.

5 games in 3 days? lol.

But the congestion excuse wont hold any water simply as City are in the process of playing 5 games in 14 days as well.

:(

Looks like Shels have it tied up. With their 3-1 victory over Longford, it leaves them 7 ahead of City. City really needed Shels to slip up tonight and Saturday.

Ah well. Next season City will do the job.

Nice one Shels.. a few more wins and were sorted

A good game last night, and a quality goal for Mooresy's second.

But nothing is sorted yet.

It's not over til Pat Dolan sings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

'Tis over!

Shels can start planning for another crack at the CL next year!

X

well I hope its over and shels win again, purely that they will be seeded for next years champions league. As the Deportivo manager said, Shels arent too far from breaking into the Champions League group stages. What a boast that would be for the league. Im sure Pat Fenlon will start planning soon hopefully shels can break into the group stages sooner rather than later.

I reckon Shels will crash in the first prelim round next time round, purely because they will probably expect to go through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

gimmick wrote:
    I reckon Shels will crash in the first prelim round next time round, purely because they will probably expect to go through.

I think that's exactly why we'll do well! When Bohs were getting good results in Europe they were able to maul teams in the first round of the champions league because they simply expected to go through. They put 3 past Tallin (Who beat them this season, because they lost that confidence) and Bate since their famous run under Roddy Collins.

And it's not over yet, if we slip up on saturday everyone will be saying game on again.

There is no chance Shels will lose Saturday, and even if ye do, ye will have to drop yet more points to Waaherfurh and a poor SPA side.

Added to that City have to play Drogs twice, and Bohs, teams who city have plundered a massive 4 points out 15 this season.

Id love if we caught ye, but it just aint gonna happen.

Enjoy it while it lasts, the power is shifting South! :cool:

gimmick wrote:
    a poor SPA side.

A poor SPA side they may be, but if we need to go to Inchicore on the last day of the season to get a win it will be very very dodgy. They'd love nothing more than stopping us winning the league.

The powers been shifting South for years know, it's getting like Gerrard Houllier and his corners at this stage ;)

gimmick wrote:
    the power is shifting South! :cool:

LOL

2nd what twice now in 10 years? power really is shifting slowly in a trickle type floundery way :/

kdjac

Rome wasnt built in a day kdjac. City can and will be the Shels main threat next season, and with a good signing or 2 could well take it.

Now, if only we could have Shane Robinson and Colm Foley and we are alughing (though I know we havent a hope of getting Foley).

Shels have to win the E.L otherwise it will be back to square one with Europe! Im worried about Shels next season, there may be increased hopes that might all come to nothing in the second round.

Last nights results.

Cork 1 -1 Derry
    Shams 0 - 1 Bohs
    Waterford 0 - 2 Pats

Cork were so lucky. A penalty in the third minute of injury time.

And Bohs scored in the 88th minute against Roddy's new team.

All of this means that if Shels beat Longford tonight, they cannot be caught on points in the league. They are 6 points ahead of Cork, and a win tonight would mean 9. Cork only have 3 games left to play, so do Shels. Cork are playing Drogs on Monday night, in Drogheda, so if they fail to win ( and Shels have beaten Longford ), the title will belong to Shels.

And Bohs scored in the 88th minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

well as much as it pains me to say it, shels are league champs. and fair play to them, if City beat them once in their four matches it might be a different kettle of fish. well as i said congrats to shels, looking forward to next year already

Shels are not Champions yet. I know it might sound pedantic, but caution is needed. Shels have been on the brink of titles before, and lost them at the last minute.

So put the congratulations on ice for a while yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

'Tis over!
    Shels can start planning for another crack at the CL next year!
    There is no chance Shels will lose Saturday
    well as much as it pains me to say it, shels are league champs

Chickens... hatch?

4-1 to "De Town" tonight would definitely suggest it is not all over.
    Shels are not Champions yet. I know it might sound pedantic, but caution is needed. Shels have been on the brink of titles before, and lost them at the last minute.

Couldn't have put it better myself! If I was a neutral I'd wish it to go to the last day, but because I have an allegiance in Tolka Park, my poor little heart couldnt handle that again!

If City can beat Drogs monday night in the X, itll really put the wind up Shels.

They are now 6 ahead of City. Shels have 2 to play, City have 3.

Its getting more and more interesting.

If it goes down to the last day it's Cork at home to Bohs (I think they're at home anyway), Shels away to Pats. Considering Bohs will probably be after second place still, that will be one hell of a last day. Shels or Cork could both win the title or finish second, Cork could end up finishing third and Bohs could finish second or third or, depending on Droghedas form, maybe even fourth and out of Europe alltogether. It'll be all too much for me to take :D

noooo !! I cant belive it ! Im starting to get seriously worried that Shels mighten to it. Cant belive longford sent 4 past us. come on Shels !! we need this E.L for next year in europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Coumtay

What a result yesterday! Guess the Blues will have a bearing on things when we play Shels on friday....Such conflicting emotions, obviously I want them to win but by doing so we'll be doing the Corkies a massive favour...

1 goal in difference 2 games to play

Our father who art in Richmond hallows be thy name, please let us beat Shels next week and Cork to win by 1 goal (a hotly disputed peno that was inside their own half and should have been a throw)one of those type goals.

/me gets me Cork hat :)

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Is it fair to say that in general most Bohs, Pats and Rovers supporters would prefer to see Cork winning than Shels??

Is it fair to say that in general most Bohs, Pats and Rovers supporters would prefer to see Cork winning than Shels??

Hell yeah, but at the same time I won't be too impressed if Bohs 'don't turn up' so to speak on the final day of the season for their game v Cork for that reason. That said tho if 2nd place is gone for us by that time I might not feel TOO bad if we lose (honestly) to Cork.

Oh, Bohs will 'turn up'. Afterall there is Champions League football at stake for afew of them.

And just before anyone thinks I have lost the plot, Hawkins, Crowe and hunt (at least) could well be playing for Shels next season!

It is fair to say that.

I think it's called jealousy.

But then, it would be fair to say that most Shels supporters couldn't give a monkeys about any of these teams, whoever they are playing, or whatever position they occupy in the league.

Yes but its actually honestly for 2 reasons , 1 we need a team outside Dublin to win the league for the good of the league in general. Since Derry in 97ish (who technically stopped pats doing 4 in a row just like to mention that) noone has won the league from outside Dublin. And if Cork win it they are really the only team capable of large crowds due to umm no other teams. Its been a long time since any team has had ticketing issues be nice to see Cork having games where it was hard to get a ticket.

Secondly we hate Shels a lot :)

kdjac

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:

LOL you new to this whole football fan thing?

kdjac

seansouth wrote:
    Eh, no it's called 'rivalry'. Even in the past when your team have been languishing in midtable, upping sticks and trundling across the Liffey like a bunch of itinerants with nothing to make even Shamrock Rovers 1987-2004 jealous we'd still all have had been wishing you (and your future bandwagon of fairweather supporters) the worst.
    seansouth wrote:
    But then, it would be fair to say that most Shels supporters couldn't give a monkeys about any of these teams, whoever they are playing, or whatever position they occupy in the league.
    Well with football appetites like that it would explain why Tolka is usually like a morgue on matchdays. Speaking of appetites have they started selling you prawn sandwich's in the bar there yet? It can only be a matter of time!

Pigman II wrote:
    Well with football appetites like that it would explain why Tolka is usually like a morgue on matchdays.

Is that a Bohs fan accusing another teams fans of creating no atmosphere :D

Now I've seen everything.

And Seansouth is wrong, no matter where they are in the league, I'll always cheer against whoever Rovers, Bohs or Pats are playing in the league :) . Unless they're playing each other, then it just gets confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

so it's another huge night.

city and drogs, shels and waterford.

i'msure we all know the ramifications and possibilities at this stage.

basically shels can win the league tonight if they win or draw and city lose.

have to admit it's been the most exciting league run-in in a long time, mainly cause it's the first time city have been involved.

pity i can't make it to drogheda 2nite, stupid going to tommy tiernan with my ex :mad:

another shels or city fans have nervous stomachs ahead of tonight???

Roar wrote:
    pity i can't make it to drogheda 2nite, stupid going to tommy tiernan with my ex :mad:

Tommy Tiernan? Ex? Tommy Tiernan + Ex? I think we have a winner in the category of 'priorities most out of order 2004'! ;)

Pigman II wrote:
    Tommy Tiernan? Ex? Tommy Tiernan + Ex? I think we have a winner in the category of 'priorities most out of order 2004'! ;)
    Ha, nice one!
    Roar wrote:
    another shels or city fans have nervous stomachs ahead of tonight???
    Nervous?...no, not really nervous.

Yeah right. I took the day off work because I knew I wouldn't have been doing anything else but thinking about the game!

There's nothing I can do about the Drogs Cork game, so I'll just be down in Tolka, in my usual seat ( or maybe the one I was in when Davy Rogers scored against Hajduk!! ) singing and roaring for Shels, hopefully with a good result eminating from Drogheda.

It's a bit like déja vu, last year Bohs got a bad result in Drogheda to help Shels to the title.

So in the words of the summer.

FORZA SHELS, BELIEVE.

I cant see Waterford get anything this evening. City will be up against a Drogs side fighting to try and stay in contention for Europe, plus they be without Gamble and Bennett. O2 Park is a graveyard for City.

That said, I reckon the pressure will get to Drogs, with George getting a late late late winner, to set us up for a last day of the season with epic consequences.

CMON CITY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Nothing on RTE2 tonight for those of us that can't get to the games, bah! They really should be showing one of these games, but, as last week etc, its back to this quarters James bond season, yarg! :(

Only one thing for you then.

Aertel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

gimmick wrote:
    I cant see ********* get anything this evening. City will be up against a Drogs side fighting to try and stay in contention for Europe, plus they be without Gamble and Bennett. O2 Park is a graveyard for City.

That said, I reckon the pressure will get to Drogs, with George getting a late late late winner, to set us up for a last day of the season with epic consequences.

CMON CITY!

you got the results correct anyway - the league goes all the way.

it was fairly comfortable for city up there in the end. even after the equaliser for drogs i always felt that there was a few goals in city. screamer from colin "terrific" o' brien was icing on the cake!

v. good travelling support for the rebel army, probably in the region of 300+. knackered when i arrived back, but twas worth it!

roll on next friday!

• Advertisement
Advertisement