Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL get upgraded?

• 07-08-2004 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

For 18 months max download speed is 67-71 kb/s

Now I'm getting sustained 85-89kb/s

I remember hearing NTL was upgrading its services a while ago, has it gone through?

(On the 512/128 package)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_cable.html

Seemingly the speed upgrades until august 31st. They could just be tweaking stuff in your area..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Celt wrote:
    For 18 months max download speed is 67-71 kb/s

Now I'm getting sustained 85-89kb/s

I remember hearing NTL was upgrading its services a while ago, has it gone through?

(On the 512/128 package)

Send your web browser to http://192.168.100.1/. When challenged, enter userid root and password root. Go to Operation Configuration. see what it says for :
    Maximum Downstream Data Rate : (mine is 600000 bps)
    Maximum Upstream Data Rate : (mine is 128000 bps)

On the same package as you, on the original (Tallaght, Knocklyon, Templeogue) bit of the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭illumin

Yeah my speed has been upped to 750Kbps but its more like 690 (86KBps) when downloading. Try turning off your modem for a while and then putting it back on to see if it upgrades itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

Celt is right-I am on the 150/64 package and now my maximum speed is 300/64-so NTL have upped it early in my part of Lucan anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Send your web browser to http://192.168.100.1/. When challenged, enter userid root and password root. Go to Operation Configuration. see what it says for :
    Maximum Downstream Data Rate : (mine is 600000 bps)
    Maximum Upstream Data Rate : (mine is 128000 bps)

On the same package as you, on the original (Tallaght, Knocklyon, Templeogue) bit of the network.
    I have the terayon modem, I'm guessing you dont.

Linkie doesnt work for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭_CyRuSS_

I am on the 1mbit option, in Knocklyon, my speed hasn't gone up to 1.5 yet, I have the old Terayon modem which doesn't have a web interface, well even if It did, I am on a NAT network and probably wouldnt be able to get to it with that IP.

Highest speed I have seen so far when downloading is spiking at a consistant 1.2mbps, but that has been since forever, so no change here. Maybe they have only upgraded the 600k and 150k options since they know the network can handle higher speeds with the 1024 option already working... My guess is they may have to do some router changes etc to make sure the network can sustain 1.5mbps

Then again that sounds a bit stupid, since in other countries some ppl have up to 10mbit cable, if it works there, there is no reason why it shouldn't here, the lines/equipment here is newer than in those other countries!

Wish they would get a 3mbps plan next, we are still way behind other countries.

Has anyone here ont he 1mbit plan found their speed has increased?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 1536000 bps
    Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 256000 bps

I was on the 1 meg connection and its upped to
    1.5 now, well comes out to around 1.4 in tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

I've been downloading at a sustained > 180kb/sec lately

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

Yipee!

just checked...

>
    >
    Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 750000 bps
    Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 128000 bps
    >
    >

dumeter says I am currently downloading @ 744kbps (Battlefield Vietnam patch 130meg in size)

...I am located in Crumlin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yeah it was upped as of 1st august. I think it's been upped for existing customers or something and the whole 31st of august thing is when they add newely upgraded areas to the network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Sev wrote:
    I've been downloading at a sustained > 180kb/sec lately
    That's more then 3 times my speed :mad: when will NTL arrive in Dublin 15 for God's sake!!!!

That's more then 3 times my speed :mad: when will NTL arrive in Dublin 15 for God's sake!!!!
    I dont think we'll ever see ntl in the northside anytime soon at least, I dont know how much they have been expanding lately (or at all?) but they were bankrupt not long ago, and i dont think they have been making much profit, could be wrong tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

They annouced re-start of rollout a while ago, I spoke to them about Clondalkin a couple of days ago. Although they couldn't give me an exact date, they did say they a rolling out to 100,000 homes/month at the moment so shouldn't be too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Their own website says 100,000 homes over three years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

murphaph wrote:
    Their own website says 100,000 homes over three years.

I'd say thats a bit more realistic. Theres about 100,00 PEOPLE in Tallaght, which is about 50,000 houses or less. To connect that many people every month would be very impreeive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Good news - NTL were upgrading in a certain part of D15 *today*. So it's a good bet it'll be available D15-wide relatively soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

LookingFor wrote:
    Good news - NTL were upgrading in a certain part of D15 *today*. So it's a good bet it'll be available D15-wide relatively soon.
    GIVE ME MORE INFO NOW!!!.....I just though I'd make it clear that I ***really*** want more detail; do you know what part? when can I dump IOL and get NTL? end of the month??? Oh GOD! 1.5Mb here I come :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

They were digging on Dawson St on Saturday too.

Unfortunitly just because you see them dig doesn't mean much, they upgraded my area years ago, dug it all up put all the new lines in, connected all the houses up to the new network, heard cable was available not far down the road, but wasn't available for me, not for quite some time.

that was one thing I couldn't understand, had the new network lines installed, was able to get Digital but not Cable Internet... weird! ah well, I have it now, had it a cpl of years, it rocks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Is there other people who are not upgraded yet? I am still on 1Mb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

The particular area was Roselawn. They were taking ladders to the boxes outside people's houses (no digging up or anything), and at the same time going to the door asking people if they wanted bb. Simple as that, really. They upgraded the box regardless of you're level of interest..they were just letting people know it was going to be available. I don't know if it's immediately available or what though - I didn't speak to them myself, the folks did.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Anybody know if you MUST take their TV package in order to avail of the BB service ?????

I ditched then 2 years ago and went with $ky ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

yes u need to be at least onthe basic tv package for now anyway.

Does anyone know is NTL the only company installing cable as I am sick of waiting for them.

Colly wrote:
    yes u need to be at least onthe basic tv package for now anyway.

Does anyone know is NTL the only company installing cable as I am sick of waiting for them.
    there's only one cable network in Ireland, that's ntl, you'd be waiting longer for any others since they'd have to dig up the whole city to make a network

if you're fed up of waiting use an alternative, DSL, Satalite Internet, or Wireless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

_CyRuSS_ wrote:
    there's only one cable network in Ireland,
    Nonsense. NTL provide cable TV in Dublin, Galway and Waterford, Chorus are in Kilkenny, Thurles, Cork and Limerick, Crossan Cable service Longford, and Casey Cablevision service Dungarvan. (There are probably others, and I might have one or two of those locations wrong).
    Colly wrote:
    Cable companies get an exclusive license for a particular service area, so you don't get a choice of cable companies in any given area.

Ripwave wrote:
    Nonsense. NTL provide cable TV in Dublin, Galway and Waterford, Chorus are in Kilkenny, Thurles, Cork and Limerick, Crossan Cable service Longford, and Casey Cablevision service Dungarvan. (There are probably others, and I might have one or two of those locations wrong).
    Cable companies get an exclusive license for a particular service area, so you don't get a choice of cable companies in any given area.

Right sorry, I didn't mean Ireland, meant Dublin, my bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

The exclusivity on licences was removed some years ago as a quid pro quo for a price rise - so in theory any opertaor should be able to serve anywhere if they are willing to invets in the infrastructure - !

I got two calls last night offering me ntl broadband in d 15, one in my own house in ongar green and one in my parents house in roselawn (strangely both on my mobile which shouldn't be associated with both acccounts!)

The deal sounded good, 3 months free and then a choice of packages starting at 512/64 at €25 up to 1mb/384 with a 30gb cap.

Strangely enough though when I tried to sign up, the guy was very evasive about taking orders and said he couldn't take orders but was simply a sales team as he was in Cork (why would this make a difference?) and he would get someone to call me back - sometime.

I am TRYING to buy the srevice!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Anybody know if you MUST take their TV package in order to avail of the BB service ?????

I ditched then 2 years ago and went with $ky ...
    Yep. If you look at the internet page, it says you must be a basic package subscriber to get NTL broadband. At least they don't make you upgrade to digital.

The way I would look at it though is, if you go for NTL, you pay €35 per month for 750Kb, plus €17 per month for a TV package that you never use. Cost per month: €52

If you go with eircom and DSL, you pay €40 per month for 512Kb, and pay €24 per month for line rental that's of no use to you.
    Cost per month: €64

So I'd go with NTL, even if paying for TV services you don't use is a kick in teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Interesting......very interesting.

I wonder if Ongar and Roselawn are done how long before Hartstown gets it.

I'd kill to get away from UTV but I'm not gonna be in Ireland past xmas and don't wanna fork out for connection to Eircon or IOL.

I emailed them a few days ago and got the standard 'rolling out on a phased basis we will contact you blah blah' reply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

If you're not going to be in Ireland past Xmas, why not try Esat's service which is a 3 month trial offer with no contract tie-in until Month 4

Advertisement