Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL get upgraded?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I think those ADSL free periods only apply to NEW customers of BB whereas even if NTL began imposing the same caveat (unlikely as their service is far superior and they'll want people to switch) it wouldn't really matter as there's no connection fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

murphaph wrote:
    I wonder if Ongar and Roselawn are done how long before Hartstown gets it.
    I'm in Hartstown aswell and as query was phoned up about NTL BB I'm now very excited about this! The only prob is that query wasn't offered the 1.5Mb connection, but that's maybe because the upgrade hasn't officially happened yet, man I wanna dump ESAT so bad :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

ADSL, broadband over telephone lines. *shudders* Evil... evil i say. Anything over a phone line is the spawn of satan himself.

I've used 3Mbps DSL in the states and it's grand. I think the DSL experience here is down to extremely poor planning and possibly doing things 'on the cheap'. However-if I had the choice I'd always choose cable BB.

Any more info about Hartstown?
    Did they give you an indicitave date even?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

I'm moving to St.James Road, Walkinstown soon, NTL told me that I can get Cable, Digital but no broadband !!!.

Is anyone living in this area with broadband because i don't think the dizzy b!tch in NTL knew what she was talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

Hey Verdammt,

A friend of mine lives on St. James' Road in Walkinstown/Greenhills and he has had NTL BB for a few years. Give them a call again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

Hey Verdammt,

A friend of mine lives on St. James' Road in Walkinstown/Greenhills and he has had NTL BB for a few years. Give them a call again.

Is there any chance you could tell me his name and house number off tread ?? I'd like some evidence to go back to NTL with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Gabbo

Got a letter from NTL saying BB was now available in my area (i'm living in clonee) there doesn't seem to be a download/upload cap on it can anyone confirm this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

30 Gb I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

They say they're going through Dublin 15 now, so hopefully this will be an option for me in the not-too-distant future :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Question for those with NTL BB - where does the BB cable come from? Your cable box? Can you get an extension from your cable box to your PC if your PC isn't anywhere near the cable box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Does anyone know if NTL BB is available in the city centre D2/D8 area?

I live across the road from dublin castle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

LookingFor wrote:
    Question for those with NTL BB - where does the BB cable come from? Your cable box? Can you get an extension from your cable box to your PC if your PC isn't anywhere near the cable box?
    Apparently you can get it put anywhere. I'm debating whether or not to put it in the hall or with the TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

koneko wrote:
    They say they're going through Dublin 15 now, so hopefully this will be an option for me in the not-too-distant future :)

that would be great if they do , i'd switch over to ntl in a heart beat.
    l

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

lol no, no cap. Well no cap per say. It's a 1 gig download limit a day, but it's really only a guideline, i mean if u go over it they wont issue you with a fine or put extra on your bill, they just want you to respect it. If you go over constantly they'll send you a warning, THEN charge you... if u just keep doing it. So basically, no, there's no download cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Gabbo wrote:
    Got a letter from NTL saying BB was now available in my area (i'm living in clonee)
    Is this near Hunters Run? :) A friend lives there he will want to know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Gabbo

Yeah just down the road from hunters run, i'm living in littlepace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

a friend signed up for them In Clonee today.

M

I called them yesterday about availability in Hartstown-said not yet and couldn't give me any approximate date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

also in Hartstown, not heard feck all yet :(

• Advertisement

So they're doing Roselawn to Clonee, somehow skirting around Hartstown on the way! Ah well, some day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

Has anyone asked them how much the 1.5meg connection is without a cap???At that speed it would be rather easy to get 30gigs in a short space of time and hardly notice...

gsand - to reach the daily limit of 1Gb, you'd have to be downloading constantly, at the max theoretical speed, for about 90 minutes (ha, just thinking you could theoretically download a gig in less than 2 hours is quite funny ;) ). That's unlikely to happen though. With general browsing, you won't be maxing out your bandwidth - even with intensive downloading, a lot of public servers prob wouldn't be able to feed you at that speed (1.5Mb). With a 1.5 MB connection, general browsing won't see you downloading more that it does now, it'll just be a lot faster. Beyond that, your usage will depend on what you specifically download. Personally, I couldn't see myself downloading 1GB a day, every day, even with a high speed connection. I mean, what would you be planning to download?

Also, according to some posters above, the 1GB limit is rather fluid. It would be interesting to see what the charges are for any excess above that, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

LookingFor wrote:
    even with intensive downloading, a lot of public servers prob wouldn't be able to feed you at that speed (1.5Mb).
    i hope you're joking when you say that. i'm sharing a 20gb pipe (yep) in my apartment block, and believe me, i get a lot faster than 1.5mb!

Well maybe it's just the servers I use, but too often I don't even max out my 512Kb line ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

...so you're on utv then, yeah? ;)

Well, yeah, lol...perhaps the lines between poor ISP performance and poor server performance have been blurred for so long, I can no longer tell the difference ;) I hear it's better since the weekend though, I'll get it a workout this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

LookingFor wrote:
    Well maybe it's just the servers I use, but too often I don't even max out my 512Kb line ;)
    If you're not maxing out your line, and its not your isp's fault (but i believe one ISP is having bandwidht problems, can't remember who), then try a download accelerator, such as getright.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pyxxel

1. Got the 1.5 mbps package last Wednesday. One word: Brilliant!! Say no more.

2. I'm in Ongar, that's between Clonee & Clonsilla. It is a new estate, newer estates tend to have more up-to-date cables. (This obviously doen't apply to Roselawn! ;) )

3. 30 GB cap is correct, but it was explained to me that if you go over it's no problem. Only if you do that on a regular basis they'd contact you & ask you would you not be better off with a business connection...!

4. We all have a cable box in the living room. If you plan to use your X-Box that's fine, but for us comp users it's not much use. When my installer arrived he claimed he could not drill through ceilings or walls (on legal grounds!!), even though the guide on ntl's website clearly states that the connection will be brought to the computer. - We finally agreed to use a box in the kitchen & thread the cable through an inside wall (plasterboard) into the utility room, where I've got my router set up, feeding our 3 comps.

5. Don't let the installers fob you off, mine said I should get a wireless router, I didn't like that at all!!

6. It seems that they're moving around Hartstown/Huntstown/Blakestown at the mo, no idea why, maybe they think they won't get much business there as they consider it a low-income area? (NOT my opinion!!) If I lived there I'd ring every day and challenge them, threatening them with involving Comreg... be it unfounded or not. (Maybe also talk to yer local representative?!? Make them do something useful for a change)

7. The 1.5 mbps option is 50 a month, you do need to have a TV package too though (€12).

HTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pyxxel

Personally, I don'T think the 30GB cap is a problem.

If I download 10 GB I wanna have time sorting through that stuff. For anyone not spending every waking minute at the computer it should be well enough.

If 30 GB isn't enough I suggest you get a live! ;)

Advertisement