Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL get upgraded?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

pyxxel-8 wrote:
    5. Don't let the installers fob you off, mine said I should get a wireless router, I didn't like that at all!!
    Mine admitted to me that people with wireless routers (i.e. me) were the bane of his life, as they were all set up differently, and he couldn't leave the house until the computer could get an internet connection. So I promptly rebooted the modem, rebooted the router, and opened up google.ie, to which he breathed a sigh of relief.

Got it on Friday, 750 package, and have been downloading @ 900kbps all that time. See attached. Sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Bah, you all make me jealous :(. NTL needs to upgrade Dublin 5, don't suppose anyone knows if they will be doing this anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pyxxel

Well doesn't matter whether they're wireless or wired, problem for the installer is all the different iterations of models, setup etc.

When we moved in here in Ongar, 20 months ago, I had got the electricians lay Cat5 cable in the bedrooms. They are all coming down to the utility room where I have our router/switch. Naturally I didn't want to go and get wireless after all!

FWIW, NTL only guarantee connection to a computer, so my guy had his laptop which he plugged in so he could demonstrate the connection is working. That was fine by me, he tried to help me further but it didn't work at first from my PC. Found out later that day that I needed to specify the DNS servers in the network setup... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

pyxxel-8 wrote:
    When we moved in here in Ongar, 20 months ago, I had got the electricians lay Cat5 cable in the bedrooms. They are all coming down to the utility room where I have our router/switch. Naturally I didn't want to go and get wireless after all!
    That seems to be quite common now. I've heard of loads of people who've been offered this recently, while the house was being wired up. A lot of people don't bother though, unfortunately. Would be good future proofing for a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I have a TV outlet and phone jack in practically every room partly to allow internet access anywhere in the house. It seemed like a cracking idea 7 years ago, but with wireless phones and routers why bother?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Pyxxel-8 just a little question for you how much did it cost to get the cat5 installed in all the rooms in the new house. My house is been built in Tyrrelstown at the moment and i was thinking about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

I emailed them and they said rollout began in July...But that it has not moved into areas outside west dublin yet...

Same answer as always really :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I just got off the phone with NTL and they said it could be a year before its available in Dublin 5. :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Stupid feckers - that's what they are. I got a letter in my door saying it was available. Rang them up and said it wasn't. Then it turns out that they have the addresses in the IFSC all muddled up so THEY don't actually know whether it's available or not and are sending out an engineer... Twits...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

carrotcake wrote:
    i hope you're joking when you say that. i'm sharing a 20gb pipe (yep) in my apartment block, and believe me, i get a lot faster than 1.5mb!

a 20gig pipe? are u sure thats not a typo? not maybe 20meg?......

(and @ 20gig pipe u are getting over 2gigs/sec dl speed?)

o and on that topic anyway i'm on a 100mbit link and vast majority of times i'd be getting a minimum of 100k/sec , usually either in the 200 - 300 range or 4 - 6meg/sec range...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Gabbo

Does anyone know if the NTL connection is restricted to one TV point or can it be moved around to other TV points which have CAT5 wiring?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pyxxel

Gabbo wrote:
    Does anyone know if the NTL connection is restricted to one TV point or can it be moved around to other TV points which have CAT5 wiring?

The whole procedure is described in detail here:
    http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/cm_installation.html

...your question is being answered in steps 2 & 3. :cool:

If you have multiple TV points around the house (and if they are actually connected - I've seen builders put in TV sockets with no wiring and hoping some divine intervention links them up magically) you can use any of them, so you can choose the one which is closest to your comp or router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

seamus wrote:
    That seems to be quite common now. I've heard of loads of people who've been offered this recently, while the house was being wired up. A lot of people don't bother though, unfortunately. Would be good future proofing for a house.

I did me house with CatV in late 1997, the problem now is that CatV e came out shortly afterwards and that WiFi is nearly as quick as CatV and will surpass it shortly .

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Triceradon wrote:
    a 20gig pipe? are u sure thats not a typo? not maybe 20meg?......

(and @ 20gig pipe u are getting over 2gigs/sec dl speed?)

o and on that topic anyway i'm on a 100mbit link and vast majority of times i'd be getting a minimum of 100k/sec , usually either in the 200 - 300 range or 4 - 6meg/sec range...
    it's no typo! and you wanna know the best thing about it? it's included in my rent, which is €200 a month! (in case you haven't guessed by now, i'm not in ireland :D) anyway, i typically download a single file at about 13mbit. gonna have to set up a queue in flashget and see how fast it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zzap64

bennyx_o wrote:
    I just got off the phone with NTL and they said it could be a year before its available in Dublin 5. :(

Great :( that means it'll be a year or more after that before it gets to Dublin 13 (ie the hood of Donaghmede!)

I have ordered eSat broadband after my line getting upgarded at last, but it's taking ages and NTL is faster / cheaper / less hassle.

I had NTL 600mbits while living in England and I want it here!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

ixoy wrote:
    Stupid feckers - that's what they are. I got a letter in my door saying it was available. Rang them up and said it wasn't. Then it turns out that they have the addresses in the IFSC all muddled up so THEY don't actually know whether it's available or not and are sending out an engineer... Twits...

Got it here, Custom Hse Harbour. Perfect 1Mpbs line - steady n fast, will be 1.5Mpbs at the end of the month. :D

Advertisement