Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing the best Heatsink

Options
  • 07-08-2004 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi guys,

Have been doing reading, want to overclock and am going to buy a heatsink for my P4 2.8 prescott
    Thinking of gettting one of these 3.

Swiftech MCX478-V CPU-Cooler Socket 478
    and a tornado 120 fan

Zalman CNPS7000A-CU Socket 478

ThermalRight SP-94

From what i have read at
    http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=73574
    I think I will go for the first one. With artic silver 5 compound

What do you guys reckon of this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

be careful with that chip they give out a hell of a lot more heat than the northwood i had a 3.2 one a little while a go and was where you are now i must of spent a packet on hsf,s ......and in the end i fould the best to be the cheaps...... it was an aero 7 by coolermaster it was only 16 or 17 euro in itdirect in parlment street in dublin ,i also bought the zalman and a gigabyte and the best was the areo 7 but it was niosie so watch out for that then you must remember the chipset and motherboard that you use ......some will make the heat worst and some will make it not as bad ,sadly i traded of the prescott for a northwood cos i leave my system on all night for downloading and it was to loud in the bedroom

hope some of this dripple helped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

p.s i use the zalman now with my 3.4 northwood and its great very low even when over clocking and i use the treminal pads instead of the normal heatsink pastse and it works great a lot better than before but some might disagree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 smack

I just looked up the coolmaster aero 7 and it doesn't seem to be great. Are you saying that the coolmaster aero 7 would be better than any of the 3 that i mentioned above?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The sp-94 is the best performing heatsink you can get for a p4. Stick a good 92mm fan with a good cfm rating and your temps will be fine.

BloodBath

Doing more reading, and I agree Bloodbath the SP-94 is the best one out there.
    Have found the SP-94 on overclockers.co.uk and not sure what fan to get. Was looking at some of the Antec ones, either the stealth ones or the tornado, not too worried about noise. What size is better aswell 80mm or 92mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Its hard to go wrong with Thermalright stuff TBH, good choice.

Have a look at the fans, mabye get a tornado with a variable fan controller because its really really loud and you can adjust it. (enermax have a good model in 92mm which has a controller built in might be worth a look).

Hope you pick the rest of your system pretty well.......... ie Pc4000 Ram.

This is my system, hope its all good

Pentium 4 Prescott 2.8Ghz
    EPoX EP-4PCA3+ Mainboard for S478/800mhz I875P, ATA/S-ATA, ATX, GbLAN
    2x 256Mb Dual DDR RAM PC4000 DDR500 OCZ Performance 500Mhz, 184 pins, 64 bit, CAS 3 4-4-8 rating

Powercolor 9800 pro 128mb
    2x200Gb HD raid 0
    NEC DVD recorder ND-3500A IDE Silver Bulk,DVD+R/+RW/DVD-R/-RW (Dual layer)

Still wondering about what fan to get, can't find that enermax anywhere but will get the torando, 80 or 92mm ????

System looks pretty good nice choice on the last 3 btw. Id personally get ADATA memory over OCZ when were talkin Pc4000 stuff, mainly because its a good bit cheaper, overclocks better, has lower starting voltage, and did i mention its cheaper (if you have bought the Ram already ignore this).

Prob the 92mm fan, have a look at the CFM rating of the fans. I know the 80mm fans have slightly less of a "dead spot" when it comes to cooling the middle but its a good heatsink and is pretty decent at getting the heat all round the heatsink so 92mm fan would be best IMO. (www.hitide.ie have the enermax btw, think it should be pretty popular)

PS mabye get 2 fans if you can afford it? best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

dont get a torando unless you will have the computer in another room they are very very very very loud! great air flow tho: )

dont get a torando unless you will have the computer in another room they are very very very very loud! great air flow tho: )

lol yes they are!! But with a fan controller they can be tuned down to whatever level suits....... which is nice and saves your ears a sh*t load of pain. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

BloodBath wrote:
    The sp-94 is the best performing heatsink you can get for a p4. Stick a good 92mm fan with a good cfm rating and your temps will be fine.

BloodBath

Agreed, pretty much as good as it gets...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Go fora 92mm fan. I have an 80mm tornado on mine. The cfm rating for the 80mm is 84.1 with a fan speed of 5700rpm and 55.2db noise level. The 92mm has a cfm rating of 119 with a fan speed of 4800rpm and 56.4db noise level. So the 92mm is only a tiny bit louder with a much higher cfm.

Trust me though you will need a fan controller for these. You would not stick the noise at full speeds. Set to around 3000rpm they are pretty quiet and still pump out a good cfm. Mine doesn't go above 60c at 3.6 with the fan turned down low. If you don't have a fan controller get the 92mm stealth fan. I think their cfm is around 50 which is still pretty good.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i was thinking of getting thermalright as i want to make my system really as silent as possible. just wondering is this a good fan for the sp-94?

Quiet as possible, why not go for a Zalman 7000? You have a northwood core right?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Or just get a 120-92mm adapter (board space allowing) and slap on a 120mm Papst.

Or even a 92mm papst straight onto the sink

Col_Loki wrote:
    Quiet as possible, why not go for a Zalman 7000? You have a northwood core right?

lol i have one of them but my pc is loud as hell.

i have 4 case fans
    2 led Coolermaster 80mm
    1 y-s tech 80mm exhaust fan
    1 Coolermaster 80mm top fan (came with case)

and i also have 1 zalman heatpipe with optional fan on my 9800pro.
    i also have a wd raptor 36gig and 120 gig ibm deskstar
    what's making the most noise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Jee Cr3m0 thats alot of fans. But i find if you put the computer under a table you dont notice the noise as much. And if your like me and always have headphones on then its even better.

Erm well pick anything from that list :D .

Case fans are a majour offender , especially when you have 4. Most lightly the coolermaster ones are the loudest and making most of the noise. The Zalman has two settings normal and silent, i doubt you would notice any difference with 4 other fans. I would invest in a fan controller and mabye only use 2 or 3. What PSU do you have?

A new CPU heatsink isint going to make any noise difference at all TBH. Generally LED fans are loud, and so are coolermaster ones....... mabye look at Papst fans and a fan controller?

[edit] Ohh and id agree with badcharlie, thats a good thing to do (cuts the noise you hear in half).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Cr3m0 wrote:

i have 4 case fans
    2 led Coolermaster 80mm
    1 y-s tech 80mm exhaust fan
    1 Coolermaster 80mm top fan (came with case)

and i also have 1 zalman heatpipe with optional fan on my 9800pro.
    i also have a wd raptor 36gig and 120 gig ibm deskstar
    what's making the most noise?

Are you using a fan controller? Or are all the fans running at max speed?

Im running 7 neon Coolermaster fans, 2 fans in psu, 3 on mono tho one is a zalman 7000 and 1 standard ATI on my gfk card and my pc is pretty damm quite.

what fan controller you suggest?

i have 3 spare ys tech fans which i were told were silent bought from Here
    the 80mm silent ones.

when i was trying to take out the led ones from the front i stupidily ****ed up the place where the screwdriver goes into the screw and i find it hard to get a grip.

i have the zalman on full blast atm but since i don't plan overclocking i'll think i'll put it down to silent.

• Advertisement

also forgot to mention my psu is antec 480w true blue.

was thinking would this be a good fan controller?

CMaerogate2_black.jpg

Here

is this one good?

how do they connect by 3pin connecters?

do you get extensions with them so you can reach lower fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Cr3m0 wrote:
    also forgot to mention my psu is antec 480w true blue.

was thinking would this be a good fan controller?

CMaerogate2_black.jpg

Here

is this one good?

how do they connect by 3pin connecters?

do you get extensions with them so you can reach lower fans?

Fan controllers are really a matter of taste tbh as they pretty much all do the same job. Hardcano 12 is gonna be my next one as it looks awsome. The hardcano 9 I go with my case only take the standard power clips and an adapter is required for the 3pin fans. No sure if any extension leads come with any controllers tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Decided on quietness over speed months ago and have since had my Zalman 7000Cu running at the lowest speed, all case fans at lowest speed and recently replaced NB HSF with Zalman passive HS. Northwood 3.0 still runs @3.5 so not really underclocking either ;)

Moral of the story: if noise is an issue with you but you still want to overclock (but maybe not to the very max possible with the best air cooling) Zalman is yer only man. If you want the max, forget about Zalman products and get the sp-94....

Advertisement