Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hmm a xbox

Options
  • 07-08-2004 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

well since meats post about the x-box i rembered i bought one a while back . so what can i do with said item ? the innards look like a pc . can i upgrade the processor ? what about this swanky psu can i change it for somthn better . the x-box dvd drive can that be altered ? is getting it notised on the network just a case of putting plugging in a cable ?

anythign else intresting i could do to the lil thing ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

also is the a os on the hdd ?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

you could convert the xbox to a mini atx pc but apart from doing that you can't really change much and certainly not the cpu(yourself). You can lash linux on it though which could mean using it as a normal pc. the os is stored on the hard disk.

if you're looking about modding check out the sticky over on the games forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=155577

any questions ask on the thread or send me a pm

Nige

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I heard Baz upgraded the cpu by desoldering it and popping on a socket 370 1.4Ghz cellie.

Either has the hands of a surgeon or is talking shít

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

it's laptop sized and it's ball grid - though it can be done(replacing with 1.4ghz laptop chip) you need some very expensive kit which is why you can only get them from friendtech who charge a fortune

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Is there any point to changing the processor if your using the xbox for [xbox[ games? Does it make any differences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

i seriously doubt it. are any of ur xbox games slow? they all work perfectly for me! dunno why u'd want another chip in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

cpu upgrade
    games are made for the original 733 cpu, i'd expect you will run into incompatabilities if you start upgrading hardware, it would great for linux though

about changing the dvd rom
    you can only play games with the original drive, theres 3 different types, some of these can be bought as pc dvd roms and can be modified to play xbox games, any dvd-rom will play backups/media
    i have a non standard dvd-rom in mine and its a pain

about changing the psu, ?
    what would be the point?, you'd have to fit it in a pc case and theres no advantage

os on the drive?
    yeah the basic ms dashboard is on the drive, in the c partition
    d is the dvd-rom, e holds your game saves and x,y,z are where you games go when it says loading please wait....

linux
    gentoox linux runs a bit slow on it and is difficult to read text on the telly, but you can vnc into it from a windows or linux pc so you'll have the xbox linux desktop as a window on your pc ( control 2 pcs at once = pretty cool ) you can move the mouse and type in stuff and do pretty much anything you can do on a normal pc, and watch it all happening on the telly

i am using it to store media, and play it on tell its got a 120gig drive (€95) when the laptop got a 40gig, to get a 120gig for it would be about €200

i hope to get a ethernet modem from my broadband, and use the xbox for all my playing and downloading,

Advertisement