Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subsolar point question

Options
  • 07-08-2004 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

I'm no astronomer, but I have a question someone might be able to help me with. I'm currently in Guatemala city in central america, and around noon each day, the sun is almost directly overhead, such that my shadow falls only on my shoes.
    The point where the earth's surface where the sun is directly overhead is called the subsolar point, and I'd like to find out more information about where and when this happens.
    does it happen several times a year at a point in the tropics? Is it easy to calculate where it is now? Is it easy to calculate or at least estimate when the sun will pass directly overhead a particular point?
    I was surprised to find a dearth of information about it on the web.
    Joe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Hi,

Basically the sun can appear directly overhead at noon between the tropic of cancer (23.5N) and the tropic of capricorn(23.5S).

On June 21st, when the northern hemisphere is tilted most towards the sun, the sun will be overhead at noon on the tropic of Cancer. Similarly it wil be overhead on the tropic of capricorn on December 21st, and overhead at the equator at noon on March 21st and September 21st. So at each point in the tropics you should observe this twice during the year.

Cheers,
    ~Al

Advertisement