Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tesseract

Options
  • 08-08-2004 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

Has anyone read Alex Garland's The Tesseract?

The book consists of stories portraying the lives of different characters on the Manilla Island, in the Philippines, including the coming of age of Rosa and a nervous Sean as he awaits the notorious gangster, Don Pepe. Because of the location, Alex keeps the same exotic feel that was shown in his previous effort, the beach. All in all, a great book.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

I really enjoyed this book too.

Garland's "The Coma" is sitting here in front of me, itching to see if I like it half as much as his previous efforts. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Yeah, just saw that a few days ago. A member of his family draws the pictures. I'll be getting it, anyhow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I enjoyed the Tesseract but I believe The Beach was way better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭voltamadan

had high expectations after the beach obvioulsy-i think it didn't have the same punch that the beach had-there was nothing exciting about it, and i think if it didn't have garlands name attached to it, it would have gone completely unnoticed

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

I enjoyed the Tesseract but I believe The Beach was way better.

I agree with you 100%. The Tesseract is really enjoyable, but not in the same 'league' as The Beach.
    voltamadan wrote:
    ... i think if it didn't have garlands name attached to it, it would have gone completely unnoticed

I don't think I'd have bothered with it if it was someone else, but it was recommended to me and seeing as I had just finished The Beach at the time... I was a little disappointed I must admit, but I still enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

voltamadan wrote:
    i think if it didn't have garlands name attached to it, it would have gone completely unnoticed
    That's because people don't really give books a chance by unknown authors. They just stick really to who they know. There's plenty of terrific books out there that don't get the attention they deserve. It's a pity it's so hard to promote books compared to films, music etc.

The start of the book is quite enticing. The back of the book doesn't give you much info except for Sean's story and even that is quite vague, so yeah it doesn't really stand out in that retrospect if it was by an unknown author. Having said that if I then read the first chapter, It would certainly draw me into it, whether it was done by Alex or not.

Advertisement