Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

b*ttorrent speed cr*ppy

• 08-08-2004 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi guys been trying 4 a while to get good speeds.Im on a netopia caymen (eircom)and iv opened the ports needed .Some times i get 55k mostly its 7k.Can somebody give me the exact settings 4 this router these are the settings im using to create the pinhole in nat.

Protocol Select tcp

External Port Start 6881

External Port End 6999

Internal IP Address 192.168.1.0

Internal Port 6881
    Tanx guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭JB123

If it makes any difference im using Azureus.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

JB123 wrote:
    If it makes any difference im using Azureus.

I had the same problem--Im on Eircom with the Netopia.I downloaded Burst bittorrent client and the speeds got much better.You dont actually have to configure the cayman.By default all ports are open.
    Richie

Hellrazer wrote:
    I had the same problem--Im on Eircom with the Netopia.I downloaded Burst bittorrent client and the speeds got much better.You dont actually have to configure the cayman.By default all ports are open.
    Richie
    Have burst running now still only getting 8k have tried loads of clients.Damn it help needed plz!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

How many seeds on the files you getting?
    Have you caped your upload ? More you upload the faster it gets.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,032 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Limit your upload speed so it doesn't saturate things. Limit it to 12KB/s if you've 512/128 DSL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

How many seeds/peers are available for the torrent you are downloading? have you tried torrents from different sources? it is always possible that you are downloading from a source that has limited bandwidth available!
    Try a torrent that you know will be extremely popular (> 1000 seeds) and see if you can get higher download speeds..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Hellrazer wrote:
    Richie

on mine they were closed and i had to open pinholes

k im on a download i see 9 seeds and 6 peers im getting 5k:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

JB123 wrote:
    k im on a download i see 9 seeds and 6 peers im getting 5k:(

9 seeds isn't very much, bittorrent speed is usually proportional to the number of live seeds available. I presume whatever you are downloading isn't in very high demand, so you won't really get any of the benefits of distributed downloading that bittorrent offers

fragile wrote:
    9 seeds isn't very much, bittorrent speed is usually proportional to the number of live seeds available. I presume whatever you are downloading isn't in very high demand, so you won't really get any of the benefits of distributed downloading that bittorrent offers
    Im downloading now seeing 25 seeds 84 peers im still only getting 10k.I need to know if these settings are right to create a pinhole in nat for bittorrent.

Protocol Select tcp

External Port Start 6881

External Port End 6999

Internal Port 6881
    Tanx guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

JB123 wrote:

Is this a typo? 192.168.1.0 is a network address, not a client address. You need to specify the IP address of the PC running bittorrent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

yep-the 192 address wont work

but you dont need that

bear in mind it can take up to an hour-sometimes longer if you are on a router to get up to max speed available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

login to netopia > advanced > software hosting > enable random application

use that applications port number for BT, eh

TFTP = :69

Force BT to listen on port 69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

like tomk said the 192.168.1.0 address is wrong
    your forwarding ports to nowhere lol
    on the netopia set it to 192.168.1.1 if your using ethernet or 192.168.1.2 if your on the usb port
    i think thats the way it does it anyway o_0
    run ipconfig to find out iwhich one your on anyway
    thats where you going wrong i would think

//// edit
    also noticed your forwarding a range of ports
    azureus by default uses one port - 6881
    so no need to forward the entire range
    ;)

Firstly tanx v much 2 all who replied :). Am trying these settings 4 now as im changing clients every few days trying 2 find one so ill leave the range of ports open.Im on the usb by the way.Ill give these settings a go.

Pinhole Entry

Protocol Select-tcp
    External Port Start -6881
    External Port End -6999
    Internal IP Address -192.168.1.2
    Internal Port-6881
    Ill give this a try and post again in a few hours.
    Cheers

K i think its fixed now gettin greenlight and 20k-50k id say ill do better on more popular downloads. :) Tanx again guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Im having problems opening ports on my modem,
    Its an E-Tech 4 Port model and it looks like this:
    adslrouterswitch.jpg

Ive tried opening ports using the "virtual server" page on the modem setup, but im still getting a yellow light, ive used bit tornado, Azureus and still nothing, the manual i got was in german so im really winging it.

Anyone have this modem or know how to open them, it really is a crap modem and ive tried loads of things........

Sean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

hate to be dragging up old posts, but it's here, so i didn't want to start a new one.

i have a zyxel prestige 600 on iolbb, and i'm getting similar problems. not getting a green light at all on my torrents, only yellow, and speed is very slow. i know i must have spomething set wrong, but i don't know what.

everything is set at the defaults. do i need to open ports on the zyxel or change settings in bit torrent?

using bit tornado btw.

thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

vibe666 wrote:
    hate to be dragging up old posts, but it's here, so i didn't want to start a new one.

i have a zyxel prestige 600 on iolbb, and i'm getting similar problems. not getting a green light at all on my torrents, only yellow, and speed is very slow. i know i must have spomething set wrong, but i don't know what.

everything is set at the defaults. do i need to open ports on the zyxel or change settings in bit torrent?

using bit tornado btw.

thanks.

I've had the same problem, here's how I fixed it.

1. Go to http://192.168.1.1/
    2. Click on NAT.
    3. Ensure SUA Only is selected, click on edit.
    4. Enter in your IP and the port number of the program.
    5. Click Save, then Apply and log out.
    6. With any luck, you should be in business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you're a geezer you are. :D

thanks, works a treat now, I have a green light as i type this.

thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I've had the same problem, here's how I fixed it.

1. Go to http://192.168.1.1/
    2. Click on NAT.
    3. Ensure SUA Only is selected, click on edit.
    4. Enter in your IP and the port number of the program.
    5. Click Save, then Apply and log out.
    6. With any luck, you should be in business.

Anyone anymore ideas here. I'm having the same problems. I'm gettin really píssed off with this now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭gre_soul

Try this site HERE it should help me thinks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

bazH wrote:
    login to netopia > advanced > software hosting > enable random application

use that applications port number for BT, eh

TFTP = :69

Force BT to listen on port 69
    do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to nets/comms.

gre_soul wrote:
    Try this site HERE it should help me thinks!

That site doesn't appear to be working anymore. I'm still getting really slow speeds. Same setup as vibe666. I've gone through the port forwarding, and I'm now getting a green light on one of my torrents anyway, but still dog slow d/l speeds.

If anyone has anymore suggestions I'd appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭gre_soul

well it works for me anyway! here is som of the info on it:
    Option 1. The tracker for the file you sre trying to download is down. If this is the case, try again later, Odds are it will be resolved shortly.

Option 2 is less palatable, It may indicate that your net connection doesn't allow arbitrary outgoing connections which is needed for BitTorrent to work properly. This could be caused by 2 things.

BitTorrent NAT/Router problems

You need to forward your ports if you have NAT in order to get optimal speeds. This is one of the most common issues people fail to configure when they use BitTorrent. To Find out if you have a NAT issue go here (http://www.u.arizona.edu/~trw/games/nat_or_not.php).

If the above site implies you are using NAT (It would appear that your machine does use NAT msg) , you will need to resolve this by forwarding ports. BitTorrent default use are ports in the range of 6881-6899. (TCP ports) The client starts at the first port in the range(6881) and sequentially tries higher ports until it can find one to which it can bind. So you only need to open as many ports as simultaneous BitTorrent clients you would ever have open.
    If you have one of these broadband router/NAT devices (such as the Linksys BEFSR41, D-Link DI-701/704, Netgear RT311, SMC Barricade, 3Com Home Ethernet Gateway, etc.) you will usually need to enter the web configuration of the device. If you're not sure, try http://192.168.1.1 or sometimes http://192.168.0.1.

http://192.168.1.1 (Asus, Draytek, Linksys, Zyxel, Cisco,WooWeb-Pro)

http://192.168.2.1 (Belkin,SMC (some browsers need :88 added))

http://192.168.0.1 (DLink, NetGear,Nexland)

If you can't figure it out, try the manual for the device -- they are often on the manufacturer's web site in PDF form

goto this for more help: http://forums.furthurnet.org/viewtopic.php?t=1541

it should work

gre_soul wrote:
    well it works for me anyway! here is som of the info on it:

goto this for more help: http://forums.furthurnet.org/viewtopic.php?t=1541

it should work

Sorry. I actually meant the "nat or not" page which is linked on that page isn't working. I really don't know. I've been trawling the web looking for answers on this. As far as I can see my ports are forwarded correctly, but still bad d/l speeds. Maybe it's number of seeds or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 samtheman

Ok my problem is when i forward ports they get stealth but when they are not their closed but no matter what i get a yellow light what could be the problem
    I'm using zyxel p623-t1 :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 SlayerIRL

I'm on IOLBB+ and for the last few weeks I just can't get decent dl speeds. I've tried everything, different clients, changed from default ports, used different settings EVERYTHING I could do I have done. Clients are showing green lights and connection checkers (http://www.btfaq.com/natcheck + http://bittornado.com/connection-checker.torrent) tell me everything is fine but DL speeds are usually between 8-20, they might spike to 30-40 then they will go back to 8-20 then spike again. Normal downloads seem to be ok but they still aren't maxing out, and browsing is terrible, its worse than it was before the upgrade. I read in other threads eircom have been fukking around with throttling and anti p2p stuff would this affect IOL too since it's just eircom's service resold? Has anybody got any suggestions on how to improve my speed. I'm using a netgear DG834 with the latest beta firmware and sygate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

SlayerIRL wrote:
    I'm on IOLBB+ and for the last few weeks I just can't get decent dl speeds. I've tried everything, different clients, changed from default ports, used different settings EVERYTHING I could do I have done. Clients are showing green lights and connection checkers (http://www.btfaq.com/natcheck + http://bittornado.com/connection-checker.torrent) tell me everything is fine but DL speeds are usually between 8-20, they might spike to 30-40 then they will go back to 8-20 then spike again. Normal downloads seem to be ok but they still aren't maxing out, and browsing is terrible, its worse than it was before the upgrade. I read in other threads eircom have been fukking around with throttling and anti p2p stuff would this affect IOL too since it's just eircom's service resold? Has anybody got any suggestions on how to improve my speed. I'm using a netgear DG834 with the latest beta firmware and sygate.

I'll add my voice to this as well IOL BB not going above 40kb - I'm even trying to dl what I would imagine would be common files: ie 20 seeds in 47 peers.

Maybe changing to bt 4.0.1 is to blame?

Darragh

Advertisement