Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norn Iron

Options
  • 08-08-2004 2:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Was just thinking about the whole 6 counties issues and wanted to put a point forward, the 'Unionists' up there now are the spawn of a political idea hundreds of years old, to plant the counties and make them British, back when the empire spanned half the globe they were doing a great job, keeping ireland British, now the empire is dead and Britain can only at best hope to ride the coat tails of America the planters are just a pain in the ass to their masters, so my question is, if you begin a 'Human Experiment' to use humans to further your politics, and their children and grand children and great grandchildren etc etc keep playing the stupid game long after you are dead and long after everyone could care less about the initial plan are dead are you even human at all ?,
    personally I don't believe they are human anymore, merely an experiment that has run its course and should be ended

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

shouldnt these people be deported back to where they came from (i.e. scotland)? I for one would pay extra taxes to finance it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The FinalWord it seems has the final solution in mind...
    personally I don't believe they are human anymore, merely an experiment that has run its course and should be ended

Its worth noting the planters were themselves decendents of Irish from the north east who crossed into Scotland in the 4 and 5th centuries....

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

shouldnt these people be deported back to where they came from (i.e. scotland)? I for one would pay extra taxes to finance it. :D

Would you also pick up the tab of 10 billion that the British taxpayer puts into Northern Ireland?

All mainstream policitical partys in Ireland support the Good Friday agreement whichsupports the consent principle.

Involvement of all political partys in NI institutions has copper fastoned partition untill THE MAJORITY LIVING IN ni DECIDE OTHERWISE.

I honestly tought the "one way ticket back to Scotland" and "Rabbitt out breeding teory" went out with the Ark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Johnny 5

10 billion? Try 2.

And for a region that had absolutely no infrastructure due to Unionist mis-rule, the reliance on traditional industries such as textiles and ship building no to mention the 30 year war, its quite remarkable that we've come this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Johnny 5 wrote:
    10 billion? Try 2.

And for a region that had absolutely no infrastructure due to Unionist mis-rule, the reliance on traditional industries such as textiles and ship building no to mention the 30 year war, its quite remarkable that we've come this far.

Unionist mis-rule

Just because Babs De Bruin and Martin McGuiness sat in a NI assembly does not make them unionist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Johnny 5

Ha. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

FinalWord wrote:
    Was just thinking about the whole 6 counties issues and wanted to put a point forward, the 'Unionists' up there now are the spawn of a political idea hundreds of years old, to plant the counties and make them British, back when the empire spanned half the globe they were doing a great job, keeping ireland British, now the empire is dead and Britain can only at best hope to ride the coat tails of America the planters are just a pain in the ass to their masters, so my question is, if you begin a 'Human Experiment' to use humans to further your politics, and their children and grand children and great grandchildren etc etc keep playing the stupid game long after you are dead and long after everyone could care less about the initial plan are dead are you even human at all ?,

Based on the above post, I dub thee 'The King of the Trolls'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

yeah, this thread sucks, its obviously a attempt to get everyone trollin at each other

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

FinalWord wrote:

It is easier to change an ideal then an institution. Calling people inhuman doesn't help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Scottish settlement pre-dates the ulster plantations. The first people to arrive on this island in 3000 B.C. were settlers from scotland. Between then and 600 A.D. its is estimated that hundreds of people each year crossed over from scotland.So on your logic 99% of the population should be sent to scotlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Would you also pick up the tab of 10 billion that the British taxpayer puts into Northern Ireland?
    mmmmmmmm!!! I thought FF were are a republican party!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

If the Irish taxpayer was asked to fully pick up the tab for a United Ireland, I am sure we would see very quickly just how 'republican' FF voters really are! The United Ireland idea is much like the idea of a vibrant, multi-cultural Ireland - sounds good to many, but if we are asked to actually pay for any of it, out the window it goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭David-[RLD]-

mike65 wrote:
    Its worth noting the planters were themselves decendents of Irish from the north east who crossed into Scotland in the 4 and 5th centuries....

That's what I always said. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

mike65 wrote:
    The FinalWord it seems has the final solution in mind...

Mike.

not necessarily true, it's generally accepted that the planters came from the lowlands of Scotland where the Scots language was spoken. This area was only added to the Kindgom of Scotland in the 11th century and before that was part of the Angel kingdom of Northumbria.
    Scots is derived from the English of Northumbria, though there is an argument over wether it is really a separate language to English or just a archaic dialect. "Scottish English" is different from Scots, been english basically spoken with a scottish accent.

the kingdom of Dal Riada was mostly confined to northern and western scotland (argyll and north) that and many gadhlig speakers remained catholic untill the clearences of the 19th century, after which alot converted to free presbytrians mainly cause the Free Church actually took a stand against the highland clearances.

What's interesting in the North is that some of the Unionists are actually descended from native irish who converted to keep the land (Ken magenis perfect example) while some of the republicans are descended from planters who converted to catholicism (mainly throught marriage) perfect example of which is Gerry Adams (adams is quite a non-irish name don't you think)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

FinalWord wrote:
    the 'Unionists' up there now are the spawn of a political idea hundreds of years old, to plant the counties and make them British, ...

I would point out that Republicanism is also the spawn of a political idea hundreds of years old - that being to "re-instate" a nation which never really existed (in that what was sought in re-instatement had little bearing on anything that went before).

Should we not also conclude that Republicans are therefore "an experiment that has run its course and should be ended".

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

In the context of an 18th century ireland, perhaps wolfetones vision of republicanism,an Ireland free of British rule and oppression where the rights of all irish people would be respected regardless of religion would have been worth experimenting with.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

bonkey wrote:
    I would point out that Republicanism is also the spawn of a political idea hundreds of years old - that being to "re-instate" a nation which never really existed (in that what was sought in re-instatement had little bearing on anything that went before).

Should we not also conclude that Republicans are therefore "an experiment that has run its course and should be ended".

jc

you could point it out, but its a flawed point, go back far enough and no nation really existed, the goal of republicanism wasnt/isnt to reinstate, its to instate a nation that would naturally have come about but for foreign interference, i always thought of the unionist population as a guard dog who just keeps barking after the tenants have left, 6 years since the good friday agreement and no working bodies, its really a joke, born to be bitter :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I think the Unionists and Nationalists in Norn Iron have more in common with each other than they do with either the British or the Republic Irish. If only they'd realise this.

I think independence for NI, as a sovereign state governed not by London or Dublin, but by Belfast, is the only viable long term solution.

I think the Unionists and Nationalists in Norn Iron have more in common with each other than they do with either the British or the Republic Irish. If only they'd realise this.

I think independence for NI, as a sovereign state governed not by London or Dublin, but by Belfast, is the only viable long term solution.

the 6 counties are not a viable independent entity, they never have nor i doubt they ever could have a budget surplus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

That's more to do with the state of affairs they are in rather than their size.

Luxembourg is a sovereign nation made up of different ethnic factions, and they are able to turn a profit.

That's more to do with the state of affairs they are in rather than their size.

Luxembourg is a sovereign nation made up of different ethnic factions, and they are able to turn a profit.

very true, but the different ethnic factions doesn't come into it because they aren't taught how much they should hate the 'Enemy' from the time they can crawl till the time they die, if that wasn't the case then yes, they probably could be independent and flourish, but I'd put a bet down with the local bookies i'll be abducted and probed before they all hatred isn't getting them anywhere

Advertisement