Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good deed

• 08-08-2004 3:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭

Just back from being out in Bray tonight, was driving home, stopped at a red light and a girl comes over and says she will get €20 for a lift to Shankil (about 2 1/2 miles away) for herself and her two friends. I said yeah so the three of them hopped in (they were about 25 and there was a guy about 30) my friend was in the front with me. I said €15, fiver a head. Then they asked could I go as far as a pub where the guy had his van so I drove the extra bit and when we got there the two gals got out and went over to the van. The guy said he'd go and get the money off them so I waited in the car, no sign of them getting their wallets out and then the three of them got in the van and drove off. I'm pretty sure the guy had a few pints on him. Took the reg but there is nothing we can do.

It's just pathetic that people do these things after I do them a favour.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Man I wouldnt let hammered people I didnt know into a car I owned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

man i would of got a hammer and smashed their heads in.

my own personal approach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

oh my god its sturday night , you got it so wrong, you should have ...

1 walked to a pub near your house,
    2 gotten plastered drunk
    3 get kicked outa the pub at closing time
    4 get refused into the disco by the bouncers
    5 gone for battered fish chips
    6 hit a stranger in the face
    7 walked/taxi home

(having said all that i am at work tongiht :( )

that driving around on a saturday night is just asking to be used!

don't let strangers into your car ffs, its so easy to strangle the driver from the back seat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Exon

Yeh, it's a bad idea to let strangers into your car, leave it to the taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

mukki wrote:

6 hit a stranger in the face

don't let strangers into your car ffs, its so easy to strangle the driver from the back seat

Mukki it sounds like you speak from experience so let me ask you this. Do you use the traditional curtain cord or just make do with the seat belt?

The curtain cord is more classy but tends to cut into your hands, whereas the seatbelt would be more convenient and so you don't tend to need to plan in advance short of having the car stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It's a shame we live in such a world. I suppose if I was to offer a girl a lift home if she was on her own I would be considered either a curb crawler or some sort of pshycho serial killer by her and by others. Good deeds will soon be a thing of the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

cormie wrote:
    It's a shame we live in such a world. I suppose if I was to offer a girl a lift home if she was on her own I would be considered either a curb crawler or some sort of pshycho serial killer by her and by others. Good deeds will soon be a thing of the past.

I wouldn't risk that, what if she was to turn around and threaten to accuse you of sexually assaulting her if you didn't hand over some cash?

I'm very reluctant about letting anyone near my car when they are drunk, whether I know them or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I'd give a girl on her own or two girls a lift - after all, look at the girls who have disappeared between the bus and home in recent years. But I wouldn't engage in any money deals; I'm not a taxi.

I used to pick up hitchhikers as a matter of routine when I drove between Dublin and Galway every week; I'd normally give about three or four separate people lifts along parts of the way - this was in the early 1980s.

But society has become more violent since then, and I wouldn't do it now.

What I'd like to know is why this has happened. Only 20 years ago a murder was something that happened a couple of times a year, and warranted huge headlines. Theft and robberies were not what you expected. How has this changed, and *why*?

I'd love to be able to give hitchikers lifts too.

The only reason the money is involved is because the first thing she said was "I'll give you €20". I dropped it to €15 and she just walked out off. Scum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

luckat wrote:
    But society has become more violent since then, and I wouldn't do it now.

What I'd like to know is why this has happened. Only 20 years ago a murder was something that happened a couple of times a year, and warranted huge headlines. Theft and robberies were not what you expected. How has this changed, and *why*?

Hmmmm got your rose-tinted specs on? 20 years ago a murder was something that happened every 15 days on average while robberies were a constant thread -the Provos loved a good bank job while it robbing the elderly of thier life savings was a pass time for ODCs.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I wouldn't risk that, what if she was to turn around and threaten to accuse you of sexually assaulting her if you didn't hand over some cash?

I'm very reluctant about letting anyone near my car when they are drunk, whether I know them or not.

Actually happened to a mate of mine...he gave this girl a lift and she started screaming and shouting at him that he had assulted her. He freaked out and went to a nearby GARDA station...and she calmed down when he told her to go in and complain

p

pekelly wrote:
    Actually happened to a mate of mine...he gave this girl a lift and she started screaming and shouting at him that he had assulted her. He freaked out and went to a nearby GARDA station...and she calmed down when he told her to go in and complain

p

Nice idea:)

Advertisement