Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP SP2 Finally Released

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Just to let anyone who's interested know ...
    Have been having trouble with firewall, it doesn't seem the best.
    Least of all, the popup messages which ask you if you wish to allow/block application access, doesnt always come up [never for me yet -- irritating having to add Remote Administrator port + protocol for each]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Works fine for me so far (SP2 final release). I don't use IE so i've no idea how the changes they've made for that affect things. The firewall is nice but largely unneccessary for me since I am behind a router performing NAT with its own firewall. I suppose if I didn't trust those on my LAN I would enable it (I can think of certain situations...), but at the moment I'm the only real user here besides the other 2 or 3 people who just use the one pc to check emails a couple of times per week.
    Oh I've no virus scanner either... thrill seeker, wha?

No need for a virus scanner if you're not a muppet and you're behind a firewall is there? (and - cough - not using internet explorer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Not if you get a worm. All the firewalls in the world won't stop something chewing up your system if it gets on it. Saw it happen to a customer at work. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Ez.!

is there any corporate wide installs of firefox, or is internet explorer still being used 100%.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

For anyone who has not come across the link
    Internet Storm Center is trying to track issues users are having with SP2 being installed , Windows XP Service Pack 2 Experiences - http://isc.sans.org/xpsp2.php

You can read problems users have had with it
    Ez.!

is there any corporate wide installs of firefox, or is internet explorer still being used 100%.

Off-topic, but I'm sure there is, check out mozilla.org and mozillazine.org and I'm sure you'll find the likes of IBM or HP or the company formally known as Lindows may be using it (as they do support it big time)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Installed SP2 this morning on my Dell I8600. Running XP. No problems as yet. Will play around with it today.

Oh btw well done Microsoft for fixing my MSN messenger :)

After trying to get rid of windows messenger I had a horrible problem with Outlook Express. It took about 3-4 mins to open up. Had this problem for months.

After installing SP2 I got a dialog box telling me it was "Repairing MSN Messenger". Happy days....

ambrose :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

I posted the http://sp2torrent.com/ link to the sp2 bit torrent download site.

Well, Microsoft have forced it to be shutdown.

From sp2torrent.com:
    Microsoft sent DMCA takedown notices to our two webhosts, one of which was just linking to a torrent file on another server. We've stood up to these kinds of legal threats before (see the Grey Tuesday protests), but we decided not to bother this time, because we started this site primarily as a demonstration and to that end it's already been a huge success. SP2torrent.com showed how filesharing technlogy gives people without budgets or huge servers the power to solve problems themselves, without waiting for the government or some corporation to do it for them. For another demonstration that's still in action, check out p2pcongress.org

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

"Microsoft has released Windows XP Service Pack 2 to manufacturing, but business users and consumers will have to be patient for as much as a few weeks before the massive, security-oriented upgrade is available to them."

Eh? I downloaded it from microsoft's site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Ya thats the 227 meg manufacturing/business user version the normal joe's version will be smaller only designed to be installed on one pc....or so i read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Maybe it be smaller cos you'll have updates froom SP2 already installed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

IIRC the small download thats coming out is just a very small file that decides what updates you need and then connects to microsoft for you and gets the updates, like the one MS released for SP1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

The good point of actually downloading the large version is that you can slipstream it with your original XPcd and then do a repair installation by booting from the slipstreamed CD which cleans out all the unnesscary side by side installation and upgrade files off your PC and gives a clean bang up to date installation.

Also you then have everything on CD if you need to reinstall/repair at any point in the future rather than having to re download everything again through Windows Update.I also kept a seperate CD with just the update files,from which I can run on any PC,should a mate need their machine upgrading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Yeah automate slipstreamed cds are the best. Select the parition to install to, walk off and come back in 40 minutes to your desktop with video drivers, chipset drivers, custom theme, favourite programs and various registry tweaks already applied :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,681 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Stephen wrote:
    good ol' real networks with their dodgy software that does more than its supposed to.

Indeed - hate them too :mad:
    Yeah automate slipstreamed cds are the best. Select the parition to install to, walk off and come back in 40 minutes to your desktop with video drivers, chipset drivers, custom theme, favourite programs and various registry tweaks already applied :D

Better yet is restoring from Ghost bootable DVD image. Reboot, click to proceed, walk off and come back in 15 minutes and EVERYTHING is perfect, including OS, all programs, settings, tweaks, drivers, etc :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

i got the sp2 the other day off a friend its the 200 odd mb one i am a home user running xp pro 2002 version should i install i hear it fecks up your pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

it should bea bout 266mb, and so far everything works fine for me. Even software it has "problems" with is still working grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

I'd recommend installaing it (of course I would!)

but seriously, it's got a lot of new stuff that will make your PC a lot safer for use on the internet. There aren't many new features that end users will see, but under the hood, it's a hell of a lot better.

If your PC will NEVER see the internet, then there's no need for it really. If you will go onlinle only once in it's lifetime, then you SHOULD install XP SP2.

i got the sp2 the other day off a friend its the 200 odd mb one i am a home user running xp pro 2002 version should i install i hear it fecks up your pc

Windows XP Pro 2002?

Eh...

Do you mean XP pro service pack 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Working fine for me for a few days. Machine is definitely more stable while on the net. Kazaa and SP2 don't mix. Which is probably a good thing....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I'd recommend installaing it (of course I would!)

but seriously, it's got a lot of new stuff that will make your PC a lot safer for use on the internet. There aren't many new features that end users will see, but under the hood, it's a hell of a lot better.

If your PC will NEVER see the internet, then there's no need for it really. If you will go onlinle only once in it's lifetime, then you SHOULD install XP SP2.

Things such as the firewall that only blocks incoming traffic and that can be switched off by other applications? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 davidmgrogan

hi a friend who works with BOI got the network admin copy of SP2 (finished version) and gave me a copy.

It kills loads of older programs and make net gaming very difficult to connect to. i recommend not installing it until you have updates from all the game vendors and software vendors.

i removed sp2 in order to continue gaming online.

Well, would you prefer to have an internet safe PC, or have a PC that will play a few badly coded games, but expose you to vulnerabilities on the net? There are a lot of enhancements in this SP, and some of these may break certain applications that don't adhere to the proper guidelines for app coding/resource utilisation.

Users can check out this list for known issues with applications.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

The network installation package is the same for Home as for Pro.

The same package will update all SKUs of Windows XP.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

when you say a slipstreamed CD do you basically mean, overwriting the i386 folder with the SP2 i386 folder and re-burning the OS onto CD and installing like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

off topic-ish...

does that nlite software allow you to include multiple security patches (sasser and blaster patches for example) or do you have to use the security roll-up patch? or, is it limited to service packs only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Woud i be right in thinking that if you streamline it and then install the streanlined xp disc on another pc it would automatically install sp2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

bush wrote:
    Woud i be right in thinking that if you streamline it and then install the streanlined xp disc on another pc it would automatically install sp2?
    Yep.

I am loving this nLite.....holy crap...

Advertisement