Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP SP2 Finally Released

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I think ill stick to sp1 cos ive had this on 10 minutes and its already doing my head in. What a waste of 266 MB

Does anyone know if you can disable logons altogether with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Anybody have any bad experience with SP2? Especially with gaming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Why would you want to disable logons? Automatic-login is a great way to let kids **** up your pc! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

bush wrote:
    I think ill stick to sp1 cos ive had this on 10 minutes and its already doing my head in. What a waste of 266 MB

Does anyone know if you can disable logons altogether with this?
    You can get Tweak UI and set up an automatic login to one account there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ive no kids in the house so i prefer no logons. After sorting most of the problems i had so i think ill keep it, nero and style xp were the ones playing up and a couple of other things annoyed me but there only small things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I know this is slightly off topic.
    Maybe I'm not understanding what you want to do exactly but...

I'm running XP Pro and I have it set to auto log in. It was fairly simple, but can't remember how to do it off the top of my head, sorry.

ambrose :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

When will I be able to get this on CD-Rom? Is it free? I'm on 56k so downloading is not an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

EireBhoy, it's only been released less than 2 weeks. We need time to replicate a couple of million CDs for distribution...this takes time.

Expect to see the request page for CDs on the Microsoft.com website in the next few weeks.

Alternatively, if you've got a mate with BB or in a corporate environment/net café or somewhere with high bandwidth, maybe he/she can burn a CD with the XPSP2.exe on it.

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,499 ✭✭✭Nollog

Don't use XP, that would solve everything.
    The best way to download it is with windows update (just like MS has said) tho.
    And you can't burn an XP SP2 because it's coded for each individual machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Or dont bother having a pc altogether, that solve everything computer related

/\/ollog, you can indeed get XP SP2 full package from the download centre on MS.com and burn it to CD

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

I really recommend that people take their XP/XP SP1 CDs and create a slipstream XP SP2 CD so that when you rewuire a reinstall, you have XP SP2 installed by default and have all the protection that it offers immediatly after the install process has completed.

Furthermore, most ppl on this board are 'technically savvy', or power users. Those that don't have BB access, can't be expected to redownload a 90Mb WU package each time the reformat their machine (which techies tend to do on a frequent basis).
    The WU option is for people who use a PC because they have to, or use it casually. They are unlikely to ever reinstall, so the delta file technology that WU uses is suitable to their 'once off' requirement of XP SP2.

Could someone send me one of them slipstreamed XP2 CD's or are they hard drive images?

According to the EULA, you're not allows to distribute the OS without permission.

Dempsey, what you can do is get a mate to download XP SP2 network install and burn it to CD for you, then create a slipstream CD of your own.

I can't find the KB article, but this is just as good:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Could anyone put SP2 onto a Cd and ill go from there. Im on 56k and have no way of getting it

I've joined the queue with Dempsey if anyone's willing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

If your anywhere near celbridge area PM me. I'll stickify it on to CD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

ColmOT,
    Am I right in presuming you work for Microsoft??

Are you saying it is legal or it is not legal for me to download SP2 and send it to ppl on CD?

ambrose :cool:

I think he does, he said it before AFAIK.

It's illegal to distribute a slipstreamed copy of XP SP2 i think is what he meant

• Advertisement

Hi Ambrose, yeah, I work for MS in the Windows development group. I don't represent MS legal, or am not an authority on the legal aspects of the stuff we sell!

According to the download page (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en)

"The Microsoft Download Center site is your only authorized web source for downloading a licensed copy of Windows XP Service Pack 2. To report a website offering unlicensed copies of Windows XP SP2 for download, please send e-mail to: piracy@microsoft.com or visit http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ReportingUs.mspx."
    it only mentiones WEB source for the SP. It doesn't mention anything about CDs.

Draw your own conclusions....but perhaps you would want to check the MD5 checksum of the file that you get on CD before you install it...just to be sure it's the real thing.

Why did MS shut down the site that was distributing SP2 via bit torrent? Surely it was doing nothing but reducing the load on microsoft's own servers? Its hardly piracy. With MD5 checks there should be no risk of people distributing compromised versions of the service pack that way.

That site voilated the EULA as I mentioned in my previous post.

I can see from a support point of view, if a user downloads a version of SP2 from a torrent, and it isn't hte released version (hacked or something), when they call PSS, they'll be told, sorry - can't help because you dont' have the same version that was released. This makes MS look bad, even though it's not MS's fault. It's easy to control what ppl have if it's only coming from 1 source

An MD5 checksum is grand for you or me, but Joe Average or Jane Average wouldn't know what a MD5 checksum is, and think they're getting the real thing.

As I said before, I've nothing to do with these decisions, and it's more the legal/sales side of things.

I prefer to play with code & bugs etc! :)

Ok, tell your legal people that they are arseholes for me :)

I'll forward on your comments Stephen! :D

I'd rather not say any more on the legal side of things because I'm really not expert in this area, and don't want to get myself into an awkward situation.

Feel free to continue to ask technical questions on XP SP2 though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

eirebhoy wrote:
    When will I be able to get this on CD-Rom? Is it free? I'm on 56k so downloading is not an option.
    Afai can remember there was a link in a XP-SP2 article on www.theregister.com a few weeks ago that let you 'pre-order' the SP2 cd. A quick search of the reg should find it.

It was free apart from postage if I remember rightly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/18/sp2_xp_pro_delay/
    Under the latest revision of Microsoft's timetable, the update won't be available to users of XP Professional until at least 25 August, AP reports. Win XP Home users with automatic update switched on will be fed the update beginning later today (18 August).

Programs that may behave differently in Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That site voilated the EULA as I mentioned in my previous post.

I can see from a support point of view, if a user downloads a version of SP2 from a torrent, and it isn't hte released version (hacked or something), when they call PSS, they'll be told, sorry - can't help because you dont' have the same version that was released. This makes MS look bad, even though it's not MS's fault. It's easy to control what ppl have if it's only coming from 1 source

An MD5 checksum is grand for you or me, but Joe Average or Jane Average wouldn't know what a MD5 checksum is, and think they're getting the real thing.

As I said before, I've nothing to do with these decisions, and it's more the legal/sales side of things.

I prefer to play with code & bugs etc! :)
    Have to say I agree with MS on this. They're just too big a target. Just one tainted torrent of SP2 being spread around, and you could have tonnes of illegitimate code in there.

BitTorrent is crap anyway. Takes ages to find just one link that'll download at any kind of decent speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Is there any way to force Windows Update to check for updates (the windows thingy, not the IE version). It checked for updates a few hours ago and offered to install SP2 but I chose not to. I want to install it now but don't want to wait until it checks for updates again which will probably be tomorrow sometime. Is there any command I can type into Run? It's XP Home BTW.

• Advertisement

Afai can remember there was a link in a XP-SP2 article on www.theregister.com a few weeks ago that let you 'pre-order' the SP2 cd. A quick search of the reg should find it.

It was free apart from postage if I remember rightly.
    Cheers for that. Postage is also free of charge btw.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/06/sp2_order_page_goes_live/

Advertisement