Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP SP2 Finally Released

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

There is a way, but it's not supported, so I can't give it out.

But it's regular heartbeat is 24 hours, so tomorrow it'll check again and offer.

If you have the new version of Windows Update (it'll look different to the old one), let me know. It's being rolled out to people a few million at a time.

ok - From Friday, all Windows XP users will be redirected to the new Windows Update V5 website.

This will look different from the old V4 (current)site, and will have a lot of enhancements.

Using this site, it's easy to perform an on demand Automatic Update sync.

Run the command wuauclt /detectnow from a command prompt shell, and it'll check on the WU servers for any new updates.

Let me know what you think of the new V5 Windows Update website :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Hi Colm,

Thanks for that. Yeah I have the new Windows Update GUI with a few new options etc.

I tried what you said but nothing happened. It did use my internet connection to check but no offer to install any updates. Guess I'll just wait until tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Colm, its the network and developers version of the SP2 i need to create a Slipstreamed CD

Hi Dempsey, you're correct. You need to get the 266Mb version from the download centre or TechNet before you can create a slipstream version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

seamus wrote:
    BitTorrent is crap anyway. Takes ages to find just one link that'll download at any kind of decent speed.

You must be doing something wrong Seamus. In my experience, bit torrent is always very fast. It may start slow alright but within 10 minutes its usually flying along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Colm does Windows Update V5 work on older computers? I have a friends ME desktop system here which I am cleaning up at the moment and want to put V5 on if possible to save him downloading it later as his connection speed is very low.Can I just change the URL from V4 to V5 and let it download the new GUI?

MickeyBolMel, Windows 9x isn't suported on the new V5 Windows Update. It will always use the current V4 version of WU.

Windows 2000 SP3 and higher will be supported, with a staggered roll out later in 2004.
    It's a case of "Windows 9x is old technology...time to move ahead with what the future is..." :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

Stephen wrote:
    You must be doing something wrong Seamus. In my experience, bit torrent is always very fast. It may start slow alright but within 10 minutes its usually flying along.

But whats this I read online that SP2 limits your TCP connections to 10?

That cannot be true can it?

There were some mention of registry changes to remove the limit - but apparently its a fake solution(doesnt work).
    10 tcp connections !? Thats mad :confused: . How would p2p software or a 16 player lan game play then? Hopefully its just a scare.

"EventID 4226
    TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts"

ozmo.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Thanks Colm,thought as much, he only uses his ME machine for email and occasional internet use, I will never give out about my XP Machine again,(SP2,80GB,512Ram,P4) having used his machine (ME,19GB,128Ram) here for the last few days while giving it a once over,how did we manage!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

ok been reading the links and feedback etc...so please excuse me this question, as I'm interested in your views:

What's SP2 like in terms of nagging? Like I don't use much protection (yeah yeah) on my PC except a good ol' Sygate Personal Firewall, etc.

Can you configure the firewall enough to let other programs do the work, without simply turning it off? I doubt MS ask if you want to block windows components unnecessarily connecting when your online? I know there is some scope for exceptions and config. but how much?

Any other nags. You know what I mean - like the way programs that crash on XP ask to send an error report. I've only found how to turn that off today for the first time ever!

Thanks in advance.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Apparently it's idiot detector is working fine, in any case.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Stephen wrote:

Agreed, the majority of BT's I'v used are very fast
    Most have some ports blocked somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cabaal wrote:
    Agreed, the majority of BT's I'v used are very fast
    Most have some ports blocked somewhere
    I turned off windows Firewall (I'm using something else anyway), and tweaked a few settings. Still not getting much more than 10KB/sec, if I'm lucky.

I'll try a few different torrents when I get home. Or maybe a different client. I'm using ABC. Any recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,499 ✭✭✭Nollog

Well, I ordered mine in July and got it in mid-September.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
    that's where you can get the SP2 CD from Microsoft for free even to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 LiffeyCrew

Hi there,

I just installed SP2 on a fresh xp install.

XP was taking up 1.78gb. This then shot to around 4gb.
    SP2 is taking up 2gb - any good reason for this? Seems a bit excessive.
    How can I put it on a diet? What tweaks can I make to remove unneccessary files and get this size down?

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

LiffeyCrew wrote:
    Hi there,

I just installed SP2 on a fresh xp install.

XP was taking up 1.78gb. This then shot to around 4gb.
    SP2 is taking up 2gb - any good reason for this? Seems a bit excessive.
    How can I put it on a diet? What tweaks can I make to remove unneccessary files and get this size down?

cheers

Havent installed sp2 as I need the pc to keep working - will wait a while til dust settles and they release a patch for the patch (much software is reported not to run on sp2).
    Try the trial version of this(older version 2 is better and free if you can find it) and let us know the state of the windows directory. most likely it is an Undo folder with a backup of all the modified files(probably all of windows)

http://www.east-tec.com/diskmanager/home/index.htm

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IF and ONLY IF you need the space and you are 110% sure you won't ever need to roll back (ha SP2 means you can't) you could turn down/off system restore on your drive. - this can take up to 12% of drive so if you had a 20GB HDD then it's allowed eat 2.4GB - more on larger drives. Don't forget pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys can also be very large if you have tons of RAM.

SpaceMonger - FREE util to see HDD size - not demoware like the €19.95 link above

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

worked grand for me bearing in mind i have every windows patch so it worked fine still a bit unsure to keep it loaded on i have a funny feeling about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I have one application (E!PC - telnet/3270 client) that worked fine before SP2.

Now it just bombs out at startup. The installshield uninstall routine also bombs out if you try to uninstall it.

Wierdly enough the app still works if you connect to my SP2 box via Remote Desktop. The only problems on the apps tech support site for SP2 are firewall related.

Im just dreading what little used but essential app I will find next that doesnt work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

have to say SP2 runs fine on my laptop. Got a slipstreamed install disk so i did a format and clean install on both my laptop and my desktop.

oh wait...my pc wont connect to the tinternet now....can't be SP2 related tho...

Advertisement