Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Danny Murphy set for Spurs

• 08-08-2004 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/3545938.stm
    Liverpool have accepted a bid from Tottenham for Danny Murphy.
    Spurs have offered in the region of £3m for the services of the 27-year-old England international.

Liverpool head of press Ian Cotton said: "I can confirm that Liverpool have accepted an offer from Tottenham Hotspur for Danny Murphy."

Everton and Charlton were also believed to be interested in Murphy, who arrived at Anfield from Crewe in 1997 and made his England debut in 2001.
    He's not exactly the players Spurs need but he should do well.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Gutted, but we have to go with Rafa.

With Smicer out and now Murphy on his way. Rafa must have someone in mind to replace them.
    Could be a big player. I'm not starting any roumers because I dont know.

It does annoy me that the likes of Biscan and Diao are considered better than spud.

But if Murphy does go I want to wish him good luck at Spurs and I hope he does well (just not against us )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Man Utd fans all over rejoice, thats odd he has been on occasion their best player. And when he sucks he tries really hard.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Im well dissapointed. Hes not a great player but hes a great grafter, always willing to battle. Would have liked to see him stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

eirebhoy wrote:

He's not exactly the players Spurs need but he should do well.

I'd have put the money towards a decent centre-back myself, but he'll do well. It'll be interesting to see out starting midfield next Saturday, 4 from these:

Davis
    Brown
    Mendes
    Murphy
    Jackson (featured heavily in pre-season)
    Redknapp (not a chance TBH)
    Thimothee Atouba (new Cameroon signing, probably play left-midfield)
    Ricketts.

None of the first four would be considered wingers (Murphy used to play on the left under GH didn't he? Still doesn't make him a winger...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its not a done deal yet according to fivelive as there are two other clubs in the frame. But it does look like he'll be gone. Last night he was quote as looking forward to fighting for a place..oh well.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

With Cheyrou and soon Diouf packing their bags, not to mention Smicer's injury, Rafa must be buying a midfielder. To be honest, I don't mind Murphy going. I think he lacked a lot to be a regular in the Liverpool midfield. A grafter sure, but not much else. I know that's going against the grain of other comments here but that's how I feel about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

looks like Finnan could be leaving aswell.. <according to skysports>
    Blackburn Rovers have lined up a swoop for Liverpool's Republic of Ireland international defender Steve Finnan.... more

Liverpool will have sold or loaned about 10 players. So wheres the cover?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote:

Mike.
    Its all on Cisses' shoulders by the look of it

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

In
    Josemi (Málaga)
    Djibril Cisse (Auxerre)

Out
    Carl Medjani (Lorient)
    Gregory Vignal (Rangers)
    Anthony Le Tallec (St Etienne)
    Alou Diarra (Lens)
    Markus Babbel (Stuttgart)
    Bruno Cheyrou (Marseille)
    Stephen Gillespie (Bristol City)
    Stephen Vaughan (Chester City)
    Emile Heskey (Birmingham City)

Maybes
    Danny Murphy (?)
    Steve Finnan (?)
    Djimi Traore (?)
    El-Hadji Diouf (?)

that leaves <correct me if im wrong>
    GK - Jerzy Dudek, Chris Kirkland, Patrice Luzi Bernardi, Paul Harrison
    D - Stephane Henchoz, Sami Hyypia, John Arne Riise, Jamie Carragher, Stephen Warnock, Jon Otsemobor, Zak Whitbread, Gonzalez Josemi
    M - Harry Kewell, Vladimir Smicer (injured), Salif Alassane Diao, Dietmar Hamann, Steven Gerrard, Igor Biscan, John Welsh, Darren Potter,
    F - Milan Baros, Michael Owen, Djibril Cisse, Florent Sinama Pongolle, Neil Mellor

Benitez is just doing what GH did when he came.. a general clear out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Does Rafa realise he needs to replace these players, unless Liverpool sign 4 good players they will have little to no decent cover, if they get a few injurys and suspensions they will be very weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Its certainly makes interesting reading..

I would imagine that he is going to buy at least 1 right sided midfield player, if not two. That was you i will have a pretty balanced midfield of:

Left: Kewell and Smicer
    Cente: Gerard, Kewell, Biscan and Diao
    Right: No natural right sided player

Mind you, I could be wrong.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

oh god Richie , why arent you fit ? :( .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Right: No natural right sided player

maybe diouf's gonna get that right side. :D

Diouf seems to be heading for Malaga on loan for a season with likelyhood of it being made perminant.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

smemon wrote:
    maybe diouf's gonna get that right side. :D

Good to see you continuing your fine tradition of hilarious posts..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

With Murphy gone who will fill the right side of midfield?
    Diao? Doubt it. Biscan plays in the centre so will Stevie Gerrard be asked to go out right?

Even if he does sign a new player(s) they won't be registered in time for the CL qualifier on Tuesday so will Danny still play? All that has been said so far is that LFC have accepted an offer from Spurs, The player himself hasn't commented except to say that he has had a chat with Benitez.

It may be that he will or would only be used as a squad player and last season that's all he was. Having to settle for more of the same could mean that he may accept the Spurs offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

I for one am not sad to see him go, isn't a class midfielder, too inconsistant with his passing, main strengths were set plays and scoring v ManU. He isn't good enough for the pool midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I think he'll be bringing in a top class right-sided midfielder in the next few days. I've heard and read so much talk over the last few weeks about a world-class player signing for the 'pool. My (monopoly) money is on Becks, Figo, Joaquin and/or Xabi Alonso. Don't laugh. Signing Becks would cause quite a stir methinks !
    I'm a bit surprised, but not entirely disappointed to see Danny leaving (if the deal goes through). Hope he does well if he does go. Gonna miss those freekicks against Man Utd though ! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Hmmm...
    Forgetting the lack of proven midfield cover, I've a bad, bad feeling about this. Murphy has been something of a talisman for Liverpool, scoring important goals to win big games that we should have been beaten in. I may just put some of my hard earned on him scoring against Liverpool on his debut.

But I do wish him all the best. What he lacks in skill and finesse he more than makes up for with hard graft. If we could get half the work rate out of some our "gifted" players ....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

im shocked and I think its a terrible decision, but we need more money for new players so maybe rafa can get in someone form la liga before kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I'm delighted he's gone. I'm sick and tired of see Murphy scoring goals for Liverpool against man united :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I think its a good move for Spurs, Murphy is a good player and could be a bargin at £3million. If i was a Liverpool fan i would be worried. Loads of Liverpool players going out and not alot coming in.

I cant belive Pool are letting Finnan go to blackburn. I know he didnt have the best first season at liverpool but who did when GH was there. i'm surprised more clubs arent in for Finnan.

Left: Kewell and Smicer
    Smicer - is a Right sided player .. it just that GH played him there that people may think he plays there.

IMO if Murphy/Finnan goes - Baros will be playing out right... or Rafa will play a 4-3-3 formation with Baros, Owen and Cisse.. up front.. what *MENTAL* ? Liverpool are going to play attacking football.

or if Finnan doesnt leave - Rafa will play him at Right Midfield.. in a 4-4-2 formation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

As much as i am sorry to see danny go i really dont think he is a first team players in a team that has title aspirations. Fair enough he would slot in every so often and do a job, but every so often is not good enough. Hopefully Xabi alonso will be with us before the end of the week, an excellent player id CM4 is anything to go by!! But he has been playing well for Sociedad and would make an excellent partnership with SG in the middle.

My concern is still the RM though. As pointed out above, we actually dont have anyone to fit in there. Biscan will be as CM cover, so too will Diao, i would imagine they will bide their time and take their chance. But the fact still remains that we dont have a natural RM, a busy week in anfield methinks. Maybe Sean Wright Phillips?

Johnny, Finnan isnt good enough for RM, doesnt have the creative ability needed for that position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Benitez is clearing a chunk of the wage bill before he makes any major signings. That is the reason for the player loans.

Murphy to Spurs - November/December last year, Liverpool made a deal with Spurs to sell Murphy. The deal was subject to Liverpool securing a replacement prior to the transfer window. The replacement that Houllier had lined up was Rivaldo. The deal didn't happen because Houllier wanted Rivaldo to play for a contract, i.e. the club would sign him until the summer and then decide on whether or not to award him a contract. The reason for this was that Rivaldo was refusing to submit to a medical (similar situation with Celtic which is why O'Neill wanted to give him a trial and Rivaldo also failed to turn up for a medical with Bolton). Liverpool didn't want to take the risk (he had very dodgy knees at Barcelona and needed pain killer injections to play and train because he refused to have an operation). Rivaldo was insulted that the club wanted him to play for a contract and the deal was called off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It will be a good move if Benitez can bring in someone with some creativity/craft/guile. Liverpool's biggest problem over the last couple of seasons has been that their midfield was usually ineffective when it came to passing and bridging defence and attack. Murphy did score some important goals over the past few seasons but replacing him with a player who does more could make a huge improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I am surprised to some extent by this sale. Danny has been quite a stalwart for Liverpool over the years and two seasons ago was a standard pick for the midfield. Liverpool dont normally sell good servants until they are no good to anybody else!

I do think as a player and perhaps as a person he has had problems in recent years. He fell out of favour with Houllier last season but showed some fight on his return , although he is past his best. Liverpool really miss the Danny Murphy of a few seasons back.

I watched his "analysis" during Euro 2004 and I have to admit I saw a person that was lacking in personal confidence, that had quite basic opinions about football and that had me as a Liverpool supporter worried then. In a way, its probably a good move for the guy, getting a chance at Spurs. I expect him to score against Liverpool when they meet and who knows, this move may seem him get some confidence back and play better for a while.

I would have preferred to see a resurgent Danny Murphy retained and play in the squad, but if Benitez thinks he wont cut the mustard we'll just have to wait and see. If Danny plays super for Spurs we'll have to mark it down as a black mark for Benitez.

A good deal for Spurs ....

Bye Danny & Thanks!
    Liverpool fans never forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭emertoff

He is not going now:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/3545938.stm

Could do a swap deal with Everton for Thomas Gravesen, or else he'll go to Charlton.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

He's talking to Charlton today.

He has signed for Charlton - 2.5m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

A good piece of business for Charlton and Curbishley and a good move for Danny Murphy. He should be guaranteed regular first team football with them and will definitely improve their midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

They have been looking for a good replacement for Parker for a while now. Good for charlton, especially since they lost Jensen also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Boro wrote:
    They have been looking for a good replacement for Parker for a while now. Good for charlton, especially since they lost Jensen also.
    Murphy would be more a replacement for Jensen than Parker.

Suddenly Danny Murphy is a super-patriot!
    New Charlton signing Danny Murphy has said that Liverpool's large number of foreign signings have damaged the Anfield club's team spirit.

Murphy, who joined Charlton for £2.5m, said the loss of homegrown players like Robbie Fowler had cost Liverpool.

"Liverpool have lost some camaraderie with more English players leaving and other players coming in," said Murphy.

"How do you replace Robbie Fowler? You can't. I wanted to come to a club that was perhaps not so cosmopolitan."

Liverpool replaced former manager Gerard Houllier with Rafael Benitez from Valencia in an effort to bring back the club's glory days.

But Murphy said he preferred to work for an English manager.

"If you are working at a club that has stability it gives you peace of mind, and that is the case at Charlton," added Murphy

"I wanted to work under an English manager who I could have a crystal clear relationship with. Alan Curbishley has the things I look for in a manager.

FFS! Seemed happy enough working under French rule...

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement