Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harassing calls?

• 08-08-2004 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Hey,

The mother is getting them. She works in a field where she has to deal with dodgy people so is getting worried. They just ring and hang up as well as sending texts, her number is available etc.

Anyways they dont hide there number but when you ring it they hang up. The answering machine is the defailt vodafone one or whatever. I've heard of people getting harassed before over the phone and it had to get extremely serious before anything happened. Then I remember there used to be a service where you could find out where exactly a number was if you sent a text but I think it was 02 only.

Anyone know anything that I can do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

The best thing would be to get a new number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Forward the calls to the local garda station :) about a week later report the messages to the garda they will prob know the problem from them now pranking the garda station:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Hand the numbers to the cops, let them follow it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You need to let the phone company know also. They have units to deal with this sort of problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Go to the garda they will help you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Or, if you fancy some revenge, point your modem at their phone number, turn the modem volume to it's highest setting ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Have had this problem before, actually turned out to be family members in my case.

You need to go to your local garda station, make a report of nuisance calls and have a trace put on your line. If the number turns out to be a pre paid mobile then you make a complaint to the mobile company in question.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Vodafone, O2 etc do indeed have an aggressive policy on this from what I hear, let them know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

CuLT wrote:
    Vodafone, O2 etc do indeed have an aggressive policy on this from what I hear, let them know.
    Aggressive as in 'Sorry, there's nothing we can do about that' or actually usefull? My sister was getting crank calls from her ex some time back. He'd ring her maybe 30-40 times per night, from maybe 1 or 2 in the morning. This went on for weeks, my sister sleeps with earplugs in so never heard/answered but she'd have tons of missed calls and messages in her voice mail from this weirdo. She rang Vodafone to see if she could get him barred (they were both vodafone) and she had his full name and address aswell as his number but Vodafone said there was nothing they could do and she should report him to the Gardai.
    After a bit she answered the phone one night and bollocked him out of it, ranting and raving about calling the cops on him and so on. He never wang back after that. Anyway, Vodafone were pretty crap in helping out. This all happened last year, maybe they've changed pollicy since then.
    damnyanks, you're mother should report the calls to the Gardai, if they can't help, change phone number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It's inconvenient, but the only guaranteed way is to change the number. Even if they can block his number, he could still ring from any phone.

• Advertisement

You could also get someone else to answer the call a few times or have someone to pass it on to who could "politely" tell him where to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

There is one more thing you need to remember. It costs them more to make the call than it does for you to answer it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

what i'd do is ring the number and tell him (or the voicemail) that any more **** and he'l be sorry.
    if it happens again, try the phone company, then the police, if neither help (and the police should, as once you tell them to stop and they dont, its harrasment), then put his number up on (i suggested this before) personals websites, and mags, with perticularly kinky info, have his phone bombarded by pervs and freaks, see how he likes it

flogen

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

could that not get you into trouble

He'd probably end up trying to ring himself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

the garda will def help.. they helped a friend of mine who was getting them for ages and got the fella but it was about 6 months later as the phone was ready to go.. best bet i think is to change your number before you do this as if they go to the bother of finding the new number then you know your dealing with a gobs***e, then get the guards involved...

i had to change my number once and the calls stopped..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

My parents, me and friends had problems with my ex - calls in the wee hours - no-one at the other end. She probably worked out exactly how many of these to make before we went to the cops - we had a meeting and agreed anyof us get just one more call... she stopped, but she was psychic :D

I've still have a problem though. The company I work for moved in January and initially 11811 were giving out the fax number as the (voice) phone number. Now at 17:15 (every ****ing day + retries) - we get a call from a fax machine with caller-iD whitheld. Eircom have determined it isn't from an Eircom Line - sorry - no more can do (Eircom :( ). The fax is a PSTN - the voice is ISDN so we can't just swap plugs - this really sux. Anyone got ideas to sort this? While its not regarded as major issue, I'm the unlucky punter shackled with sorting this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've still have a problem though. The company I work for moved in January and initially 11811 were giving out the fax number as the (voice) phone number. Now at 17:15 (every ****ing day + retries) - we get a call from a fax machine with caller-iD whitheld. Eircom have determined it isn't from an Eircom Line - sorry - no more can do (Eircom :( ). The fax is a PSTN - the voice is ISDN so we can't just swap plugs - this really sux. Anyone got ideas to sort this? While its not regarded as major issue, I'm the unlucky punter shackled with sorting this.
    See if this works. Pick up the phone. Say in a clear voice "our new fax number is xxx-xxxx".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

One tip i heard a long time ago, but ain't had a chance to use it yet, is...

...go into any pound shop (..or should that be euro shop?!) and buy one of those cheap whistles for under a €1. Or if you're a referee or know a referee, all the better - use their whistle!

And next time the person rings back, put the whistle up to the mouthpiece, take a BIG (!!) deep breath and blow that whistle as hard as you can!!

There you go, deafen the f*cker! They won't be ringing back in a hurry! :D

And if you see any of hear mates walking around complaining of hearing problems, there's your culprit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

basquille wrote:
    There you go, deafen the f*cker! They won't be ringing back in a hurry! :D
    I don't think that a speaker on a mobile phone has enough power to really damage anyones hearing :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I don't think that a speaker on a mobile phone has enough power to really damage anyones hearing :confused:
    You'd be suprised!

If their ear is up to the earpiece and if you use those metal referee's whistle, you could definantly damage their hearing temporarily anyways.

I don't mean deafen them completely. I just mean it'll give them a reason not to call back in a hurry, or at all!

You wanna try ringing me?.. give it a test run! ;) Just kidding!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

The whistle is yer only man.

We were getting obscene phonecalls for months a few years ago. One sharp blast from a referee whistle put a sudden stop to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I can vouch( thats not how you spell it but I know you know what I mean)
    For the whistle, works a treat.

You guys are kind or missing the point, I think the problem needs to be dealt with discretly as his mother deals with certain people, so telling them to go shoove themselves or bombarding them back doesnt work. Gaurds is probably your best bet, go to them see what happens cant make things worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

jor el wrote:
    Aggressive as in 'Sorry, there's nothing we can do about that' or actually usefull? My sister was getting crank calls from her ex some time back. He'd ring her maybe 30-40 times per night, from maybe 1 or 2 in the morning. This went on for weeks, my sister sleeps with earplugs in so never heard/answered but she'd have tons of missed calls and messages in her voice mail from this weirdo. She rang Vodafone to see if she could get him barred (they were both vodafone) and she had his full name and address aswell as his number but Vodafone said there was nothing they could do and she should report him to the Gardai.
    After a bit she answered the phone one night and bollocked him out of it, ranting and raving about calling the cops on him and so on. He never wang back after that. Anyway, Vodafone were pretty crap in helping out. This all happened last year, maybe they've changed pollicy since then.
    damnyanks, you're mother should report the calls to the Gardai, if they can't help, change phone number.

could she not have turned her mobile off when she goes to bed?
    that's what I do.
    saves the battery etc and having to recharge it

if someone really wants me they can
    a) ring the landline
    b) wait til the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Turned out to be some kid who thought it was great fun :) But yeah thanks for the advice. Like SmellyIrishman said you dont really want to mess the people around who she thought it may of been. Lots of people she deals with have / are in the paper for being nasty folk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Sleepy wrote:
    Or, if you fancy some revenge, point your modem at their phone number, turn the modem volume to it's highest setting ;)
    LOL!! If you listen to that beep bop noise for more than a few seconds it drives you crazy!! :eek: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Evil_Bilbo wrote:
    The whistle is yer only man.

We were getting obscene phonecalls for months a few years ago. One sharp blast from a referee whistle put a sudden stop to it!

I betcha with the laws we have today, the guy would be able to sue your ass off if he goes deaf!! :p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Cool, glad to see things didnt get bad.

Advertisement