Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox news poll shows Kerry ahead

Options
  • 08-08-2004 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Interesting results from the Fox news poll published 5th August

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/080504_poll.pdf

Worryingly for Kerry, when intending Kerry voters were asked if their vote was a vote for Kerry or a vote against Bush, more said it was a vote against Bush. Overall though I'd say the Kerry camp are happy with the results.

Incredibly, more people credited Bush with being more knowledgeable on "the issues" (whatever it might be), than Kerry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

What freedom they enjoy when they have to vote for someone just so the other guy doesn't get in. Nothing to do with the others' policies or any nonsense like that.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Kerry was ahead 46-42 in as far as registered voters were concerned, but trailing 45-43 in battleground states. (with Nader getting 2%)

So he could do an Al Gore - win the popular voted but Bush still gets in.

And the economy was the most important issue polled - I hope Kerry gets that in his thick skull and stops going on about Vietnam. "It's the economy, stupid" is a proven way to beat a Bush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭chill

alleepally wrote:
    Interesting results from the Fox news poll published 5th August

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/080504_poll.pdf

Worryingly for Kerry, when intending Kerry voters were asked if their vote was a vote for Kerry or a vote against Bush, more said it was a vote against Bush. Overall though I'd say the Kerry camp are happy with the results.

Incredibly, more people credited Bush with being more knowledgeable on "the issues" (whatever it might be), than Kerry
    It's not worrying at all. In fact those that are voting for anyone BUT bush are far more motivated and likely to vote imho.
    Taking all of the polls it does look like Kerry has his nose in front. Bush will get a tiny bump with the Republican Convention and then it will come down to the Debates and the Economy and whether Bush can frighten the crap out of the American people.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

At least we are safe in the knowledge that at the end of the day its the Judges you put into power that counts. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

I'd take anything Fox News says with a pinch of salt. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ChipZilla wrote:
    I'd take anything Fox News says with a pinch of the dead sea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

so you're saying you don't believe them when they say kerry is ahead :D

vorbis wrote:
    so you're saying you don't believe them when they say kerry is ahead :D
    Well I don't believe them in general. Even when they are right they are worng ;)

Nick

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I see the Irish Independent has an article about how those terrorists are planning to disrupt US elections. Might be time for FOX News to rally up its presenters and ask good old America to postpone them pesky elections so Bush can do his job and bring world peace about, just like Bill and Ted. God bless America.

As to the poll, the results keep swinging and it's too early to call. The dubious good news - that Kerry should be jumping on - is the terrible economic data that came in on Friday. Job creation is waaaay down on what was expected. Why not point this out to the electorate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

ChipZilla wrote:

The interesting thing is that Fox polls have historically given Bush a higher approval rating than other polls. No reason to think that this bias has changed, which implies that his underlying support has dropped significantly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

QUESTIONS FOR RAY C. FAIR
    Bush Landslide (in Theory)!
    Interview by DEBORAH SOLOMON
    Published: August 15, 2004

As a professor of economics at Yale, you are known for creating an econometric equation that has predicted presidential elections with relative accuracy.

My latest prediction shows that Bush will receive 57.5 percent of the two-party votes.

The polls are suggesting a much closer race.

Polls are notoriously flaky this far ahead of the election, and there is a limit to how much you want to trust polls.

Why should we trust your equation, which seems unusually reductive?

It has done well historically. The average mistake of the equation is about 2.5 percentage points.

In your book ''Predicting Presidential Elections and Other Things,'' you claim that economic growth and inflation are the only variables that matter in a presidential race. Are you saying that the war in Iraq will have no influence on the election?

Historically, issues like war haven't swamped the economics. If the equation is correctly specified, then the chances that Bush loses are very small.

[...]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

well of course he is, he drew up the plans.

Fox news poll shows Kerry ahead
    cue stray bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

On what issues exactly?

Bush on the War: "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

Bush on Education: "We want results in every single classroom so that one single child is left behind."

Bush on Energy: "We need an energy bill that encourages consumption."

Bush on the Presidency: "I'm a war president. I make decisions here in the Oval Office in foreign policy matters with war on my mind."

Bush on Economics: "It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it."

Bush on Geography: "So what state is Wales in?"

Bush on the Free Nations: "See, free nations do not develop weapons of mass destruction."

Bush on History: "My trip to Asia begins here in Japan for an important reason. It begins here because for a century and a half now, America and Japan have formed one of the great and enduring alliances of modern times. From that alliance has come an era of peace in the Pacific."

Bush on Policymaking: "Marriage ought to be defined by the people, not by the courts."

Bush on Philosophy: "There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee -- that says, fool me once -- shame on -- shame on you. You fool me, you can't get fooled again."

Bush on elections: "The great thing about America is everybody should vote."

Bush on Leadership: "They have miscalculated me as a leader."

Bush on Peace: "The world is more peaceful and more free under my leadership."

Bush on reality: "I'm the master of low expectations."

Bush on Animals: "There are a couple of cows waiting for me. You know, when I first got back from Washington, it seemed like the cows were talking back. But now that I've spent some time in Crawford, they're just cows."

Bush on 2000 Election: "It was amazing I won. I was running against peace and prosperity and incumbency."

Bush on Theology: "I trust God speaks through me. Without that, I couldn’t do my job."

Bush on the 9/11 commision report: "It reads like a mystery, a novel. It's well written."

Bush on Technology: "It's amazing with the software that has been developed these days that enable a camera to distinguish the difference between a squirrel and a bomb."

Bush on Iraq: "We're still being challenged in Iraq and the reason why is a free Iraq will be a major defeat in the cause of freedom."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Always worth wasting my bandwidth on...

Bush on Philosophy

ROFL

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

You can be sure that Bush and co. will pull a few more stunts before November. Anyway, going by the way the last election was counted, Bush will be hoping Kerry gets far more votes than he does, so that Bush will win by a landslide! :)

Advertisement