Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

norton going away

Options
  • 08-08-2004 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭

norton doesnt start up automatically anymore when i log in and when i try and turn it on it closes itself after a few seconds, also my msn messenger is working. any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Hmm, it could be its telling you that you need less bloated anti-virus..stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I had the same thing a while ago, it turned out to be a virus.

What I done was to alt+ctrl+del it and close one thing at a time till I found out what was causing the problem and then told Norton it was a virus and I quarantined it and submitted it to Norton and in a few days they sent me a message the
    at the found a Virus in the file I submitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

its turned out to be a trojan horse called optixpro or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

best solution(s) i can think of:

- boot to Norton CD (burn a backup copy with latest virus definitions if possible) and do a DOS scan and try and remove that virus that is messing with Norton...
    if that doesn't work:
    - format hard drive and reinstall Windows, as if your virus scanner has been down a while and you've been online a good bit, chances are your PC could be riddled with other infections as well and a clean install will remedy all your problems providing Norton and the latest virus definitions are the very first thing you install after reinstalling Windows...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

ok reg-editing and a full scan with trend online scan sorted things out. i'm kinda pissed off with norton though, i have anti virus and internet security fully updated and running and it still got in, despite the fact that the symantec website is where i got my info on the virus

Advertisement