Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LLU and wholesale line rental

• 04-08-2004 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Cabaal wrote:
    hows this then...

Get your phone line activated = 130 euro (90 activation + 30 rental)
    Order your DSL with whoever you want, I personally recommend EsatBT Business (45 per month for 512K uncapped or 90 for 1MB)

Get your phone line unbundled, this will turn it into a digital only line
    This has the plus side of you not having to pay line rental :D
    so you won't be paying €30 a month to EirCON for a PSTN line you don't use basicfally...

I had no idea I could do that......nice one. Thanking you Cabaal. I could deal with that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Cabaal wrote:
    hows this then...

Get your phone line activated = 130 euro (90 activation + 30 rental)
    Order your DSL with whoever you want, I personally recommend EsatBT Business (45 per month for 512K uncapped or 90 for 1MB)

Yes, 45 euro BUT you're tied into a _two year contract_. I'm sure the guy doesn't want that as he's renting.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

eth0_ wrote:
    Yes, 45 euro BUT you're tied into a _two year contract_. I'm sure the guy doesn't want that as he's renting.
    Well as with everything you read the small print befrore hand :)
    I guess I kinda forgot since I got the 1MB with a 1year contract at €90 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Greggy

I can see why IB is handy..

They also have no contract, all you have to do is give them 30 days notice.
    I got Ripwave last week, it has a mediocre reception and can be hard to get a signal. And I'm across the road (literally) from them in line of sight of Tree Rock...

There customer support/sales is terrible, I dont think they like talking to people. :)

Cabaal: How do you unbundle your line??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I too would be interested in hearing from anyone who has actually successfully got out of the line rental while keeping their DSL - as I've been told that it is impossible by more than one ISP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Greggy wrote:
    Cabaal: How do you unbundle your line??

You can only unbundle it if you go for Esat (and presumably, Eircom) business DSL. They can give over your whole line to data and remove voice capability, and so you don't pay line rental.

Cabaal - how did you swing 1mb for 90 euro on a one year contract??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

Esat have only unbundled 40 exchanges and to the best of my knowledge Artane isn't one of them, so it's not possible to simply ring up and unbundle your line rather Esat needs to apply for colocation in the eircom exchange and then intsll their own equipment.

Eircom don't unbundle their own lines!

Ah right - I'm with Netsource so I presume this doesn't apply. As query says, I don't think Eircom will let you off the line rental even if you are with them on their business DSL in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It's not just a case of 'letting you off' the line rental, it's terminating all normal capability on the line. The line is effectively disconnected from the phone network, so no line rental is paid.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

eth0_ wrote:
    You can only unbundle it if you go for Esat (and presumably, Eircom) business DSL. They can give over your whole line to data and remove voice capability, and so you don't pay line rental.

Cabaal - how did you swing 1mb for 90 euro on a one year contract??
    I got it before there current offer went live, they advised me that it was a one week only offer for all customers ringing up for new orders.
    1MB for the price of 512K service, so I jumped at the chance, signed up 2 hours later by faxing back the forms :D
    Contract said 1 year also...

As for unbundling yes this depends on exchange your on, me being in Waterford means I could do it by the gf wants the pstn line for voice calls also so no chance of getting out of paying rental for me :(

Moriarty wrote:
    It's not just a case of 'letting you off' the line rental, it's terminating all normal capability on the line. The line is effectively disconnected from the phone network, so no line rental is paid.
    I'm quite aware of what it entails, I'm just saying that Eircom won't let you terminate the voice capacity and still have your DSL work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They will it is called unbundling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

hi people, log in to satsystem.net, you can buy a modem from them for about 35 francs, the supply you with an operator, then you buy a 1 metre satellite, with an universal (ithink) lmb no reciver required, now your sucking desiel :eek:

Moonbeam wrote:
    They will it is called unbundling
    But is this not only available if you unbundle your line to Esat on one of their supported exchanges and are using Esat DSL products. I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who is successfully *not* paying line rental to Eircom but still has working DSL from someone other than Esat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I haven't heard of the unbundling concept. I recently did an analysis of both my mobile (VF) and fixed line (Eircom) bills. It's shocking what the fixed amount of both bills amount to per annum (though VF will argue that they give so many airtime minutes in the fixed element).

I am considering broadband but my dial up costs come in at about €30 per month (1891 number). I really don't want to see an increase in my bills so unless it comes in at that it is handier to stick with the dial-up (I get about 52K at the moment).

As regards the IBB, I have experience of them on a business level and I can't say we have had many opportunities to complain. I would suggest that the letter is not newspaper material. However, have you sent it to IBB? You'd be surprised as to the number of people who vent their anger here but don't bother putting their issues to the service provider in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

BrianD wrote:
    I am considering broadband but my dial up costs come in at about €30 per month (1891 number). I really don't want to see an increase in my bills so unless it comes in at that it is handier to stick with the dial-up (I get about 52K at the moment).
    That's 52k-bits/s. With broadband, you could get 400-500k-bits/sec. When people refer to 50K downloads, they're talking about 50K-bytes.

IOL only charge €33.15/month for DSL if you switch your phone over to ESAT (you have to make €15/month worth of calls to qualify). You'd be getting a lot more for your €33 than you're getting for €30 today.

http://www.iol.ie/bundles/bb_adv.htm
    http://www.esatbt.com/ie/residential/homephone/advantage.html

Unbundling - currently - is only taken up by Esat who have their equipment in 40 exchanges, What happens is that your line in the eircom exchange is reconfigured onto the Esat network. Therefore you don;t pay line rental to Eircom (instead Esat rent it at a wholesale rate from Eircom), and Esat supply whatever service they want down it. This is how thye supply business DSL.

Unbundling is open to an operator who wants to put their equipment in eircom exchanges but because it is exchange by exchange and generally has a higher capital cost, a lot of operators simply re-sell the eircom service if thery don't have nationwide coverage. Obviously Esat have quite good geographic coverage but some of the smaller operators don';t.

As all lines belong to eircom, they don't/wouldn't/couldn't unbundle their own lines. If you want an eircom line, you will pay eircom PSTN line rental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

This thread is getting ULTRA OT :D

Basically, if you look at the ESAT Business DSL prices (and think they look high) then DO remember that they include the equivalent of €24.20 Line rental.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Rkiver

Come September Eircon will no longer have the monopoly on phone lines. Esat will be able to purchase them and you will no longer have to ever pay Eircon anything. That is something to look forward too. My housemate works for Esat and they are gearing up for this as we speak.

It's called wholesale line rental Rkiver and it really isn't of much use; eircom will just lease the line to another telco. Eircom still recieve most of the line rental no matter who you'll go with because the other operators have to pay a monthly rental to eircom for each line. It's ended up as being more of a marketing toy than a real change in the telco landscape here.

This has all been split from this thread.

• Advertisement

Wholesale Line Rental doesn't include DSL, only your standard telephone line rental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Its more a factor of single billing than anything else, it means you can opt to use a different dsl or voice provider, and also pay them the line rental. Just cuts out your eircom relationship entirely.

I know what it entails. What I'm saying is that Wholesale Line Rental doesn't allow your DSL subscription to be rebilled by an operator. The Wholesale Line Rental product only allows for rebilling of standard telephone lines and ISDN,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

query wrote:
    I know what it entails. What I'm saying is that Wholesale Line Rental doesn't allow your DSL subscription to be rebilled by an operator. The Wholesale Line Rental product only allows for rebilling of standard telephone lines and ISDN,

Yes - the thread title is quite misleading, in that if we had real LLU, we wouldn't need WLR - they are not the same thing.

Advertisement