Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T2 Skiing

Options
  • 18-04-2001 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

Lets have a heated debate (you can tell im bored in work...)
    What do yis think of the nerfed skiing in T2?
    The speed that skiing brought to t1 was one of the things that made it great and my own internal jury is still out on the slower t2 counterpart.
    Before the game came out i was under the impression that lights would be unaffected and it was only heavy skiing that was being tweaked. I could live with that, but the fact that the light skiing is now different is a little dissapointing. Combined with the Disk Jump nerf, it makes it VERY hard to catch up with cappers on a good route.
    I fully realise that everyone will adapt to this, just looking for opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Dustaz, I don't know how you can say it's nerf'ed. I've seen you ski and you have pretty much left me in the dust when I've been chasing you. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

at least you have to know how to ski this time, its not just a key press running a script, like what happened in tribes..

Its a feature of the game that we will all have to master if we want to get good at the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Its definitly changed. I think there is extra resistance when you go uphill. For example on Rollercoaster, the easiest ski is to to drop down the incline and continue skiing up the opposite slope and only jet when you hit the end of it (same deal when you escape with the flag on the lower Snowblind base).
    In t2 if you try to ski uphill, you slow right down. OK, i know this makes logical sense, but theres the difference smile.gif
    What it means is that if a capper is outta your flagstand at mach2 hes aiming for a downslope to continue his route. You have to Start a route now, and usually you arent standing at a handy 50 ft drop smile.gif because you cant utilise the ski down AND up to creat a little catapult or DJ, it makes it very hard to chase.
    I read somewhere that someone had done conversions of t1 maps to t2. It would be very interesting to see how Canyon Crusade plays on T2. 10 LD with rifles methinks (oh wait, thats what it was anyway.. smile.gif )

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND:
    at least you have to know how to ski this time, its not just a key press running a script, like what happened in tribes..

Its a feature of the game that we will all have to master if we want to get good at the game.
    </font>

Err, the mechanics of doing it are exactly the same as having the script installed, Jump.cs = t2 jump button smile.gif

Its cool that they tell you about it in the training mission. And its not that hard at all to master really, the hard bit about it is finding those 3 foot curves from 70 feet in the air smile.gif

The reason all this occured to me is from playing a lan game of rabbit with Jag and Spiral. In the process of getting completly and totally owned by them, i realised that if i had the flag i could ski away from them just fine before eventually dieing from lack of skill smile.gif As soon as i lost the flag and i started to chase them, it was MUCH harder to catch up and keep up with changes of direction etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Well as a bit of a ski masta wink.gif I think its still ok i can still get good speeds up and great distance then with the oncoming boost smile.gif its fine.

Quothe the Raven, "JennyRooba!" :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I don't know how many time's I've asked this on servers and looked for it on websites, but I've never been told or found the answer...

HOW DO YOU SKI!?!?!?!?

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[honey i] violated [the kids]

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

In the T2 tutorial, I think level 2 or 3. Your instructor tells you that you should learn how to "Ski" to gain speed. You do this by holding jump key down.

Actually says in manual "Ski - Hold jump key".

Heres a good example.
    Find a peak, not a huge one, say about 30 feet or so, with a steepish drop off.
    OK, now if you were to jet up and out a bit and land on the ground 30 feet below it would hurt a bit. Instead jump up and jet out a bit, as soon as you hit the downslope, hold down your spacebar (or whatever key jump is if your some sort of mutant smile.gif ). You will ski or slide down the slope. It is preferable to do this where there is some sort of ramp at the end of the slope, you continue to ski up this ramp and hit your jets too. Your now going a LOT faster than normal - you have just skied!
    Its this ramp element that has change imo in t2. It still works with small little ones, but with big upslopes, forget it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Thank you Dustaz!!! curlydav.gif

Whadaya mean RTFM Hobbes tongue.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[honey i] violated [the kids]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭[SN]JAG

Now dustaz you have seen the kind of SKI speed i can build up on quagmire (remember on BW at the lan) i got 5 caps on that level, each one taking no more than 30 seconds each way. and on quagmire thats fast.

• Advertisement

Yes, with a good route you can still fly well. The problem is that without a route, its harder to improvise. Think Canyon Crusade. Someone has nicked your flag and is on their merry way, theres no downslopes, your surrounded by walls and you cant DJ to catch up. Again, something will evolve, its just that im so crap that i depend on the gl for that, AND ITS CHANGED waaaaah smile.gif

Advertisement