Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend?

Options
  • 08-08-2004 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a cheap telescope to a newbie(me).I have one that let's me see the moon(belonged to my granddad).

I have about 200euro to spend at the moment.Any tip's as to what to buy or where would be appreciated.

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stepryan

global wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a cheap telescope to a newbie(me).I have one that let's me see the moon(belonged to my granddad).

I have about 200euro to spend at the moment.Any tip's as to what to buy or where would be appreciated.

G

for 200 euro you will not get much. you could get a decent pair of binoculars which can be used for more than astronomy and can always be used even if you don't develop a serious interest in observing. you could try the follow companies:-
    http://www.mccreaa.freeserve.co.uk/ north down telescopes or
    http://www.andromedaoptics.com/ andromeda optics both of these are run by amateurs so they should be able to help you decide. i would try to stay away from astronomy ireland as you can get better deal for your money elsewhere, they appear to a bit overpriced. the best advice though would to be to join a society in your area. have a look at:-http://www.irishastronomy.org to find one in your area as you can get advice from people who own telescopes and also on observing nights a chance to look through some of them. you can then maybe leave a telescope till later when you have a better idea and saved more money.
    stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Start with a good set of binoculars and get a good star atlas and then get to know the skies a bit. You can see an awful lot with a pair of binoculars. Very portable and good for sweeping across the sky quickly, which you can't do with a telescope. It is more for stationary observing, looking at a particular point for a bit longer. So get those binoculars and in the meantime you can be saving to get yourself a good telescope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

Were the telescopes that Lidl /Aldi had last year any good. From the very little I know one of them seemed to have a scope that was high spec and if so expect it again this year was around €60 / €70 afaik. leaves a nice few quid for a half decent binoculars and a copy of Redshift

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Thank's for the advice :D

I guess it is binoculars for now then,sorry but where would I get a star atlas?

G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Hi,
    C Fodder wrote:
    Were the telescopes that Lidl /Aldi had last year any good. From the very little I know one of them seemed to have a scope that was high spec and if so expect it again this year was around €60 / €70 afaik. leaves a nice few quid for a half decent binoculars and a copy of Redshift

I got one from Lidl and it was fine. The eyepieces are fairly crap, but using decent eyepieces they make a decent small scope.

Cheers,
    ~Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Any good bookshop will sell good star atlases. Find something physically small enough to carry around. They will also give you a lot of other information on astronomy, maybe even advice on telescopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

I saw binoculars in that camera shop in Blanchardstown, cannot remember the make, but they were 16*50, and were not too expensive, about 130 or 150 IIRC. Would these be any use whatsoever. I have a pair 10*30 at home, and you really cannot see very much, even of the moon, would 10-50 allow me to see much more detail, or would 16*50 be better.

Advertisement