Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

modem at 1/2 speed

Options
  • 09-08-2004 3:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

recently my 56k modem has been playing up on me..

Usually it would connect at over 50kbps but for the past 2weeks it's only been connecting at a constant 26.4kbps. ?!
    A friend tried and failed to set up a network with this computer and another computer so i'm assuming something he done is the cause of this.
    I've tried reinstalling it and a few other things but to no avail. Anybody any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

assuming you put the port speed upto full, my next question for you is- did any houses nearyby get a phoneline in reciently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

thx for the quick reply.

yes, i have the port speed at full and no, there are no new phone lines around.

anything else you can think of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Can believe there's other people up at this hour of the morning...

But assuming that you've the port speed upto maximum, did you try a Hyperterminal session to an ISP to determine connection speed?

E.g.

Open Hyperterminal, connect to the modem
    type: AT -should get OK
    type: ATDT1892150150

This will call Eircom free thing.

See what connection speed you get, it'll say

CONNECT 51200 (for 51.2k, etc.)

Let us know how you get on!

the reason i am up so late, is because i do IT support for a 24 hour 365 factory,

IT support and i can't help you fix your modem :o

Ahhh... it's beginning to become clearer now! :D

The reason I am up so late is that a Win2K server has failed and I am in the process of rebuilding it and restoring data - this process is not helped by the fact that the original installer decided to commision it with a software mirrored set of disk and the thing is taking nearly 25 minutes between each reboot!! ARRRAAAGGHHHH....

But on the plus side, this is rare for me, I don't envy anyone doing the graveyard shift.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

speaking of graveyard shifts i just finished up work at 3 there's my reason for being up this late.. plus i'm reading up on the theory of poker..

but anyway, back on topic..

jayok, i tried that little test of yours but didn't get very far. i connected up and type your commands but it just said wrong password... here's the log:

"Welcome to eircom !

ATDT1893150150

** Bad Password

AT

** Bad Password"

what went wrong? (i used the eircom 150hours number as that's the account i use.)

apart from all that, anything else i could try/change?

Nightshifts... so these are the people running the country! :D

Well when you connected you should have seen a CONNECT string. This is a standard string from the AT command set that will give you your RAW throughput to the host point. The CONNECT string must be issued as your modem is reporting the speed you connect at.

Basically it comes down to this. If you are getting a connect 51000 (or something like that) then it's software. If you're getting CONNECT 21600 or similar then it's more than likely a hardware configuration (or wiring, etc).

This really is your starting point.

Once you got onto the Eircom server (asking for username/password) it was looking for a PPP username / password combo. The purpose of connecting at all was to see the CONNECT string so you could troubleshoot from there (i.e. sofware or hardware). Try say, IOL 1891 121 121. Again don't worry about the username / password question, just try and get that connect speed.

back off topic

by the way you can always see who is on line here

leave you guys to it

Advertisement